348 - Alternator | FerrariChat

348 Alternator

Discussion in '348/355' started by Keks, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    hi

I looking for an alternator for my 348. and idea?

Is there any from a toyota fitting?

Thanks

Alex

2. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Bonjour Alex,

pourquoi ne pas le reconstruire?

quelle référence pour le tien?

avec un peu de recherche vous trouverez sur le forum de très bon post.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #3 Qavion, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Do you need a complete alternator? Usually, individual components fail: Bearings, brushes, windings, regulators, rectifiers, etc.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-alternator-removal-rebuild.142329/

According to "TomDial" (Chris):

4. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    I changed already brushes and regulator, bearings Looks Fine. Messured the rectifiers diodes, Looks Good to me but higher as usuell 600mvolt...Almost 1000mv.. But all the same.

Gussing the windings are the Problem.

It is a nippon denso

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Alternator 31100PY3013 Acura/Honda. Make sure to get an IN220 regulator, the IN226 that comes in the Acura Alt is a 4 post plug, the 348's is a 3 post. Cars with IN220 regs. 90-91 Lexus ES250, 89-90 Toyota Camry 2.5L, 86-89 Toyota Celica 2.0L

6. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    For some time now, many alternator rectifiers have Avalanche type diodes which are not easy to test in the usual manner. They may show good with the forward voltage but, if something goes wrong with their "avalanche breakdown" (reverse current flow at certain reverse voltage), they may start allowing, in addition to the direct, also some reverse current flow which will affect their ability to fully rectify the AC current.

I have, so far, fixed 4-5 Denso alternators on few of my other cars and it was always the rectifier. I replaced the regulator and the brushes as a matter of course, even though the old regulator tested exactly the same as the new one. Typical signs of one or more failed rectifier diodes is inability of the alternator to produce 13.5 to 14 volts but only some 11-12 volts.

7. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a similar problem with mine and replaced everything incl rotor, stator etc. I tried to replace just the regulator too and it left me stranded. Just do it all and be done with it

It was a nippondenso and I have all the part numbers for it which I'll post up in a bit.

Which alternator do you have?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Miroljub, your knowledge of all things automotive electronics is extremely deep. It is not an accident. How?

steveto and ernie like this.
  9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Well, if you start getting very keen and start learning about electronics and car electrics, and start working on things (as a hobby), from your age of 13 and you are now....(never mind that)...you have many years of learning and experience.

308 GTB, ernie and steved033 like this.
  10. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    One suggestion I would make is if you have an oil leak from cam cover/oil seal above dripping onto the alternator, then fix leak 1st!!! Alternators don't like oil, eats up stator & brushes quickly. Don't ask me how I know..... LOL!

Ga68_ likes this.
  11. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    Thanks all for your reaction!

i am almost sure the rectifiers are broken, behause i messure only 11,8 volts Output what is less then battery Vortages......

Anyway i ordered yesterday a Brand new alternator for 99 Euro incl shipping

I will left you know How it fits next week
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does your alternator have a 3 or 4 pin plug? That advertisement shows 4 pins. I thought the F348 had a 3 pin plug.

13. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    It is a 3 pin. I've seen posts where you can swap out the regulator (I think) for the 3 pin version.

When I was going down the path of a new alt, I think I had found posts that pointed to a Hyundai alternator from an Optima.

I chose to just rebuild mine. I'm trying to find my paperwork with all the part numbers. There are also some crappy regulators to that need to be avoided.

Will search tomorrow for all the part numbers. I still think I rebuilt the whole thing for like $125 USD.

Qavion likes this.
  14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Thanks, David. I also see in Ernie's tutorial that it's a 3 pin plug.

So Alex really needs to make sure he's getting an alternator with the correct plug otherwise, he will also have to buy a new regulator (as his is suspected as being faulty).

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think Alex has already put a new regulator into his old alternator (which did not cure the problem) so he can just move it to the new alternator.

16. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Yea but his issues continue.. just replace all the guts and be done with it.

Took me 1/2 hour to replace all the parts. For giggles I had my shop test it just to be sure... +checked the box on all tests.

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Sorry, guys... Didn't read the whole thread properly.

18. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    Yes Right my 348 has a 3 pin, reconized it yesterday by posting the picture

I will change the regulator

19. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
  20. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
  21. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    The hole on the Right side is smaller

22. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    If you move the new regulator from the old to the new alternator, you can put the old regulator back into the old alternator because it is probably good. Then just get a new rectifier for the old alternator which should sort it out and you can keep it as spare.

What kills alternators on the 348s is, I believe, the two powerful radiator fans coming on simultaneously. That is probably more than 100 Amp load spike at the start-up of the fans. If you are good with electrical/wiring work, you could add a timer to delay the start-up of one of the fans by about 3-5 sec.

23. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    My alternator was killed by a too small and empty battery, Maybe on top of this the fans gave the rest

But brushes was at the end anyway

24. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I don't think a too small battery would affect the alternator in any way. And when empty, a smaller battery will draw less amps then a bigger battery from the alternator when it is subsequently charged, probably no more than some 20 Amps. What probably happened was that, when the two fans came on, your smaller and not much charged battery could not cushion the big ampere "bang" and most of it went to the alternator.

25. Keks

Keks Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Alexander Kexel
    I totally agree! If the battery would be the Right one (Bigger) and Not empty, the battery can buffer the high amperes from the Fans.

In this case the almost dead alternator Need to feet the battery and Fans, in the same Moment and this was too much