100k mile 348 | FerrariChat

100k mile 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by AuthenticRebuilds, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Am I nuts for considering a high milage car that barely runs for around 27k? Its the black 348 on ebay and Ive thought about putting in an offer. My mechanical and electrical skills are very good. I like the idea of it since I could drive the snot out of if after getting it sorted and wouldnt have to worry about killing value with added miles.

crinoid likes this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    This one? ZFFRG36A3N0090919

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Ferrari-348/223458842633

Here's BaT from 2017:

https://bringatrailer.com/2017/05/21/no-reserve-runner-dusty-1992-ferrari-348-ts/

Sorry, but this car looks like it's been flooded, or maybe sitting in the rain with the windows open... for a long time. :(

However, if your forte is is more towards body work and painting, then it might be worth considering.

I wouldn't go over $15k, plus I would need to see and hear it myself, in-person.

So sad to see this kind of neglect.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yes, you are nuts. And that’s why you should do it.

4. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    I like your comment! in the bat pics it had oil presure and temp, plus its moved 4 miles since that time. I wonder if somebody got it but wasnt good at diagnostics or just never got around to fooling with it. For some reasons alot of the 348s they get at that car club are missing the fuel tank and shift box cover and talking to them they arent the ones removing them. I dont mind putting new sills in the car or doing the paint work. I really wonder what good fuel would do in the car, after bore scoping the cylinders, and changing spark plugs would do. Maybe also soak each cylinder for a few days with penetrating oil to help the rings. The longest sitting engine ive brought back to life was an old yanmar diesel that had zero compression when i got my hands on it. I could actually make full revolutions with the front pulley by hand!!! So far this is the least expensive project ive found other than one they had with things like the fuel pumps missing. The black ferrari would look great next to the white porsche in the garage.

5. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "For some reasons alot of the 348s they get at that car club are missing the fuel tank and shift box cover and talking to them they arent the ones removing them."

Wut? :confused:

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Doing the work yourself will save a lot, and good on you for wanting to save one! One word of caution - parts prices can be nutty. I think for close to thirty in that kind of shape is pushing it. Then again, it's getting harder to find bargain 348s, and rightly so.

Bertil likes this.
  7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hell its worth $20-25k as a parts car. If you’re mechanically inclined you could do fine with it. As Chupacabra says you can start to get upside down on it if you have to buy a lot of parts.

8. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Ive done some homework on various parts prices and its not to bad depending on where you get things from. Piston ring sets are pricey but not near as bad as valves. I like to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Im sure other than a full service id replace valve seals. I have to say ive been impressed at how much info is out there on the F cars compared to others. There is also a 77 porsche 930 on BAT ive been watching thats a project, but then I already have a porsche. Somebody mentioned its getting harder to find a bargain 348 and thats so true. There was a blue one for sale recently but the sellers stories changed and when we had a deal and money was ready to wire he stopped responding, oh well.

9. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Do it. You'll be glad you did.

ernie likes this.
  10. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Have the vehicle inspected. I have been at this place before and seen them polishing cars with no paint on it. Not to ruin their name, I was tyring to buy a 308 1.5 ago and if I did not inspect the vehicle couldnt tell the condition of the rust under the vehicle.

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think everyone one knows they deal in some pretty rough, unloved cars but somebody’s got to do it. It would be nice if they were a little more forthcoming and straightforward about what they are dealing though. This 348 looks like the clear coat is peeling off the passenger door but they forget to mention that...
    I was looking at a yellow 348 spider they had, the add didn’t even mention it didn’t run but there was a picture of the bottom with NO FUEL PUMPS. I asked if that was a picture from when work was being done and they said “no the fuel pumps are missing, we’ve never seen it run.” Um ok, I think that’s something that you should disclose without me asking.

12. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I personally wouldn't pay more than 20-23 for it. You're going to buy a very high mileage car that needs work, you'll put money into it and then when you sell it you'll find out it's still not worth much due to the mileage and condition. Buy something with 30-50k miles that's been taken care of properly and enjoy that.

13. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks like flood damage. If it was, electronics that do work now will probably develop issues as they corrode. Main fuse box was probably under water.

15. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    when looking at their ads if it says mechanicaly sound then its a runner. I remember that one, plus there was one once that looked like the subframe had been lowered and then put back in due to things not hooked up, clean spots where things were and the ac belt was hanging. That one made me wonder if the timing belt snapped. They will answer direct questions with direct answers plus if you want more pics they will take them as they verified the T belt was intact with the white TB which in pretty sure was one of those texas cars left in a field if youve seen that story floating around lately. I was very close to that one when it got bought. In hindsight thats the one I should have gotten being it was a low mileage TB project.

On a side note, if anybody knows of other project 348s feel free to let me know=)

16. clinton

clinton Rookie

Feb 16, 2013
    Houston
    I believe that could be a 348 that was in Houston and sat outside a repiar shop for a long time. The car was very rough. Visually it needed paint, the leather seats were shrunk up, anodized trim faded.
    I heard the engine was worn out and not worth fixing.
    It dissapeared a couple months ago.
    Find a good car that fits your needs, you will save money in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, "sat outside a repair shop for a long time" seems to fit this one.

Also, the file name for the engine photo on BaT is Estate-Sale-Project-Running-1992-Ferrari-348TS-w-Issues-for-sale-Engine.jpg

18. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Just sent them a message and asked what was up with the paint on the door. I said I realize factory paint would have been single stage but it looks like there is peeling clear coat. We’ll see what they say.

19. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Notice how scrapped up the chin spoiler is. Almost two pieces now, top half and bottom.

20. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    paint on a car needing that much work to me is an afterthought. At least with paint the cost isnt much by comparison of pistons, rods, ect to do a total rebuild. Id probably end up respraying in the long run anyways. The 77 Porsche with only 25k miles thats unmolested is another story, that would probably be my longest paint correction ever! In my younger years between jobs I worked at a body shop, pay sucked but I learned alot.

Wade thanks for that info, ill send you a message!

21. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My point was if you’re selling a car and the paint is peeling off half the door that is something you don’t omit from the description. If they forgot to mention that what over issues are the forgetting to tell you about?

22. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    Im sure with alot of their cars theyd need a full time secretary doing write ups. Also the gaps on the front right fender arent quite right. Some of my last cars I bought from insurance auction, you get to learn to notice things in pictures to put together as much as you can with little info in those situations. For the right price I wouldnt be opposed to a complete engine rebuild but now if its dropped a valve or gotten something else catastrophic thats different. Luckily in town I have a great machine shop guy for block, crank, ect and one that only does heads, but the work is awesome.

23. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Sometimes, those gaps are "OEM" :)

24. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They did respond to my inquiry and said yes there is peeling clear coat on the door. They also said that there are “signs of damage to the front passenger fender” but didn’t elaborate.

25. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    To be specific he actually said “the clear coat on the car is peeling and it will need new paint” so this may not mean just the door but the whole car needs painted???