Cali T vs. Portofino | FerrariChat

Cali T vs. Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fga4, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fga4

fga4 Karting

Jan 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jerry Cellilo
    I own an F430 coupe but stopped by my local Ferrari dealership to get seat time in a Portofino. At 72 I’m thinking the car is nicer to grow old in. They also had a same color 2015 Cali T. To me they looked very similar. The salesman told me the Porto is wider than the Cali T which to me is a negative. Plus, the display Porto with its options would go out the door at around $270k U.S. while the Cali T at 8k miles was at about $150k. Thoughts from folks who have compared them??

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I did and decided on Cali t after driving both for a couple days. If you can get a California t with hs package and close to full options, just go for it. That’s also 100k cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  3. mmoharter

mmoharter Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    Fort Myers, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I did the very same test back in January. I couldn’t justify the extra cost of the Porto which would essentially be depreciation dollars in three years. Bought a Cali-T with 1800 miles and couldn’t be happier. Good luck with your decision! Either way, your body will thank you rather than plopping down into that 430.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Did you get a chance to test drive them both? I think that'd answer your question.

I test drove the Porto. Loved it. Steering and suspension was a big improvement over my Cali. I thought. Interior was nice, although the aluminum dials on the AC vents seemed cheap-ish. All the upgraded infotainment stuff, I could do without, but I just drive mostly Point A to Point A for fun, relaxation, and some errands. No commuting. The stuff I cared about from the driver's seat - controls, RPMs, speed, etc. was easily visible. Good ergonomics and layout.

Have not driven a T, so cannot compare to Porto. Many here seem to love it. Opinions seem to come down to prefs in looks and NA-vs-turbo. Is it 2x the price better than a T, or 3x the price of my 1st Gen Cali? Can't say. Some days I think yes, other days I drive my 2011 Cali & think, Heck No!

Given the volume they'll be made in and the facts it's a 2+2 Ferrari, they'll depreciate quickly. If it were my dough, I'd get a T now, drive it a few years, then trade it in for a used Porto.

T

Caeruleus11, Chizz and Hani Al Lawati like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have them set up a back to back test. Not too much tob ask. Spend an hour or two in each car. If they are serious about selling You a car, they should be fine with that.
    I've yet to drive the Porto, but I do prefer the look of it, and I think the cabin is a much nicer place to be.
    Drive them both on the same day, that's your best bet.

6. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My plan exactly!

7. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    The Porto is an upgrade to the Carli T in every conceivable way. It looks better and drives better IMHO. The question is whether the improvement is worth the huge price difference between a low mileage Carli T and a new Porto. and that is an individual decision. My guess is to most the answer is No but to some the answer is Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jumpinjohn and Redneck Slim like this.
  8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    That sums it up.

9. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005

10. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    There are new car people and used car people and I’ve always been a new car person. My wife and I recently ordered a 2020 Portofino and while we always liked the look of the California, we think the Portofino is much better looking. Are we going to get clobbered with depreciation, probably, but at this point in our lives we’re ok it.

Chizz, EastMemphis and jumpinjohn like this.
  11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We are swapping our CaliT for the Portofino when it is finished up. In my opinion, the Cali T was almost perfect but the Portofino fixed everything I did not like.

Is it worth the price difference is a question only you can answer. For myself, ordering the car exactly as we want it to be is a fantastic experience. My wife is very involved and the process takes its own life. We have done three builds with Ferrari and each one is very distinct from the other and have been delightful cars to own and drive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Chizz likes this.
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    And thank the Maker there are people like you so there can be people like me!

13. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    Well I asked the same question around a year ago and ended up buying a Porto new. Have been VERY happy with that decision. Will it depreciate ? Of course but if you are at the point you accept that $100k hit over 3 years then just jump in and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chizz and bmcginn like this.
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I do both new and used, but I also buy a lot of cars and I tend to now see it as there are good deals and there are not so good deals. I own a T, and have driven the Porto I do not think it is worth the difference in price, not a chance. I say this because for what I use the car for there really is not any real difference and for some reason I do not like the Porto in any color but black. I have also after all these years realized that my opinion is based on criteria that probably no one else uses, my purpose for something, which is void of emotion and strictly based on the machine had its capabilities to do the one task I need it to do. I was at Algar yesterday, and I before long I think there will be a 458 added to my list of cars. I maybe getting older but I think I might just reach car number 500 before my time is up.

Chizz likes this.
  15. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I have gone with a new Portofino over the Cali or Cali T for the following reasons. (1) The Portofino is a massive improvement aesthetically. A beautiful looking Ferrari. (2) IMO the Cali and Cali T are more feminine than the Portofino. (3) The Cali and Cali T looks and technology are dated. The Portofino is practical and current. (4) Getting a new car makes the experience much more “special”. It will be my car and not inherited.

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    To me if I were going to buy a new Ferrari to my personal spec, I don’t need know that I’d choose a Portofino. I’m sure it’s a fine automobile and is an improvement over the previous cars but for me it’s just a massively depreshiating option. I really like the Cali T and for my personal driving style why pay more? Sure the Cali T has a bit more room to deprishiate but it’s far less then the Portofino.

If I had the cash to burn I’d likely spec a new 812, or maybe wait for one of the new offerings but between the Cali, Cali T and Portofino if likey just go with a lightly used Cali T. But Your mileage and taste may vary.

17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Congrats on the new Portofino! However, I have to disagree with you on a couple of things. First, I’m not yet convinced the Portofino is a “massive improvement” aesthetically over the Cali. I have yet to have anyone tell me anything but how beautiful my Cali T is. The Porto is a great car no doubt but I wouldn’t say it’s a massive improvement as if the Cali isn’t beautiful. Secondly, I’ve rarely seen a young lady driving a Cali T. Even so it is a far stretch from anything I would consider feminine. And if the Porto is the Cali replacement I wonder if this same argument can or will be applied.
    Lastly, I’m the second owner of my Cali and believe me when I paid that price tag for it I didn’t feel I “ inherited” anything! Also when I start that engine and and drive it....., it’s all mine baby!!!!!

adabbagh and AD211 like this.
  18. Rule12b

Rule12b Karting

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Looks are purely subjective. For now, I definitely prefer the T over the Portofino in looks but I can see how others might see it differently. To each there own. I just feel the Porto in modernizing a bit strays way too close to the GM parts bin. I still think it looks great, but it has a certain "feel" to it that seems less artistic and more mass engineered. The point here is just that, I can see how others would think it's better looking than the T. Half the time I can barely make up my own mind. :)

19. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    They made something new, it is supposed to be better. well, it isn't.

Having driven Cali T Handling Speciale and the Portofino multiple hours the last two days side by side, I can tell Cali T is more agile and more fun. If you can get a nice one with metallic color, I'd say go for it.

Overall Cali T HS is more fun to drive especially with the manual shifting.

20. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I do agree. I made the comment to my dealership that the Porto .... dare I say this.... is similar in my opinion in some ways to the newer corvettes. That hurts to say.

Rule12b likes this.
  21. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Interesting. Two questions - why metallic? What lead you to conclude T HS > Porto?

Thanks.

T

Raj seth likes this.
  22. fordgt2006

fordgt2006 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    I have a 2019 Portofino and I think they did a Great job on it. I didn’t have a T previously but I think the Portofino is a big improvement aesthetically and has major improvements all around.

stretchgeneral likes this.
  23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is interesting that those who have one of the two will find a way to justify their decisions. I do get the I built my car thing, your first time is always special, at least from what I see from those who have. I did a few times but I am not patient enough to wait for anything that long anymore. When you have a 650hp one of a kind 997S cab (with 335k worth of modifications and no traction controls) that weighs 2312lbs in your garage, the Calf T (even mine with over 650hp and TQ) is going to feel tame. My car was built at Newport Beach Ferrari and it one of the heaviest optioned T's (it was higher than OP's Porto would be) I have seen, even though most of the stuff (like the carbon fiber everywhere and apple car play), I would not have put on the car myself. I admit that after over 475 cars I am jaded, and after almost 5 decades of taking cars apart a remaking them better (for my purpose), I have come to the point that ever car has good things about it, but NONE are perfect. OP this is going to be your decision, but I am sure whatever one you make, you will have a car more usable on the street than the 430 (I had two gearshift/F1) is.

Chizz likes this.
  24. K_W

K_W Rookie

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm totally biased as an owner of a California T w/ HS. But, I like the look of the california T better. It's more unique, with the additionally sculpted sides, etc. Lots of people complained about the California T's bubble butt, but honestly, I think it has more character than the relatively slab sided Portofino.

That said, I'm not driving your car. For me, looks are so subjective, you gotta go with your gut here and whichever one looks better to you and fits your life and budget wins. For me, there wasn't worth a $100k delta to get a Portofino, vs my Cali T.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  25. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Your car is beautiful! I totally agree with you. I stood between a Cali T and a Portofino and visually compared for awhile. I just liked the look of a Cali T more. I don’t think it’s a matter of improving the looks from a Cali to a Porto. Ferrari just made a new car and stopped making another.