Crazy to want a Lusso? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Crazy to want a Lusso?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by dustman, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Have owned them all, including the quatroporte and chose the Lusso. The Lusso just makes driving special in comparison to the others and life’s too short to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bas likes this.
  2. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Ordered a new canna di fucile lusso and drove it for 8 months and put 900 miles on it. Sold it when the 812 came and missed it shortly thereafter. Then bought a 300 mile Lusso when I was ordering the F8 at the dealer on impulse knowing it didn’t have all of the options I wanted. Just decided a few days ago to trade this one in for a brand new 2019 which had most of the options I was looking for. No problems with any of them.

IPO1, uhn2000, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.
  3. bruno787

bruno787 Karting

Nov 1, 2010
    PHILIPPINES
    Agree....the Lusso is a class of its own, it brings the ferrari experience for four people, there is no competition. If you want a sedan, then you dont buy a Lusso.

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Ouch. I get it. Love the Lusso in CdF. That’s dedication. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    New topic....Lusso or FF?

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    depends on what one is looking for - id get an FF and a 355 or 360 for the price of a lusso - but to me FF more appealing for reasons i mentioned in previous post.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Depends on what you want. Those you really need to do a drive in both to find out.

I think the FF is more fun to drive and thus more appealing, but the interior and cabin is nicer in the Lusso, and the Lusso sounds better.

Also, if you go with a Lusso but then found that you wanted to set it up a bit more sporty, Novitec springs could be an option.

ScottS likes this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have a Lusso and my wife has a Pan ST. Just really not the same thing at all. The Lusso is more flawed as a GT than the Pan but has that wonderful V12. Its handling is much sharper but unfortunately you get a lot of tramlining on summer tyres. Disappears completely on winters.

And I had an FF before, Lusso drives nicer. The turn-in is nicer under load.

9. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Just an observation re tramlining. My FF tramlined and was fitted with P-Zero's. I opted for Michelins for my Lusso and have no tramlining

PhilaChris, FFantastic and Lukeylikey like this.
  10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Well for what it is worth: I just changed from Pirelli to Michelin P4s - it is a huge difference in my mind, sooo much more consistent that the P-Zero, much nicer ride quality on top of that. I just can not understand why Ferrari uses P-Zero? Michelin P4s is such an improvement!

11. deltona

deltona Formula 3

Aug 7, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Glad you and others agree. I suspect if Michelin were Italian they might be standard fitment ;-)

otakki and vraa like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's more to it than just Ferrari choosing Italian tyres. There's a rule in the EU that states that a car manufacture cannot only rely on a sole tyre manufacture to supply tyres. They are basically trying to "even" the playing field.
    It gets even more ridiculous when it comes to cars with non-homologated tyres, such as your average Audi A4, Focus and what have you. These cars need to be delivered with a variety of brands, some good, some utter rubbish.
    Some Ferraris initially come with Michelin, and some initially come with Pirelli. It kind of depends on what was homologated first, and for what reason.
    The 812 MPS4S is on its way, but the Pirelli was first as Pirelli had already done the PZ4C for the TdF, so they did the "street" version PZ4 for the TdF, which in turn became the tyre for the 812. The F12 debuted on Michelin, so did the 488, Cali T, Porto and Lusso T.
    It's a toss up, and I think Ferrari is well aware of what most customers prefer. That being said, Ferrari also has to play nice with Pirelli as they are the F1 tyre manufacture. Add to that Pirelli has also been a sponsor for Ferrari, i.e all Corse Pilota cars run Pirelli. At the end of the day Ferrari has an obligation to Pirelli, and that's what sets the tone.
    If you want to blame anyone, blame Pirelli. They are the ones not providing better shoes. Not sure if it has gone worse, since Pirelli was aquired by ChemChina. But calling Pirelli in its current form Italian, is like calling the current Mini British.

otakki and vraa like this.
  13. Left Eye of Ra

Nov 17, 2018
    Australia
    I have tried to convince myself to buy the lusso (or lusso t) for most of the year. I really want it, the kids really want it. But I have convinced myself the purchase is crazy. The thing that holds me back is something that I can't see mentioned here much if at all: Ferrari wants me to put my kids in a rear seat and drive around with not a single airbag to help them if someone hits us - no curtains, no sides, no nothing.

If the back seat is dangerous in an accident, some combination of the following must be true: everyone is crazy for not just buying a 2 seater 812 for more or less the same money; Ferrari is crazy for not even trying to protect our kids and loved ones; or I have completely misunderstood the specs or the whole issue.

14. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Same experience

15. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    Yes

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lusso is a wonderful car if you have a young family and want to experience a Ferrari more often than it would normally be possible. I tried the Cali T and PF and both were useless with young children. The looks divide opinion on here, but many love it. I have an 812 too and the Lusso gets a little more use, simply because I can use it in more situations. I am possibly preparing myself for the reality that whilst the V12 is far from dead, in this guise and format it probably is so I am sorted. In any case power keeps going up but with age my driving ability is not. 700 plus bhp is more than I will ever need on the road, and some.

As for the airbag question, I think the poster is correct there is nothing in the rear passenger zone, also even a Lusso does not replace a large SUV if you have family trips, with the normal military levels of equipment required

17. mytoys

mytoys Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2015
    CA
    Full Name:
    mytoys
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here’s the 3rd lusso.

deltona likes this.