488 Spider Ground Clearance | FerrariChat

488 Spider Ground Clearance

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    I have my heart set on a 488 spider but have a pretty nasty driveway which can't be improved. In order to make sure I can garage it, I need some accurate numbers as to the ground clearance of the 488 spider. After much searching, I've seen both 115mm and 4.5", which don't agree with each other. Does anyone have numbers for the low part(s) of the chassis and for the tip of the nose?

2. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Good luck on that Tony, I loved mine.

I'm not sure the data you're looking for is going to be the final answer though. The angle of approach (diagonal) can make a huge difference. Search for a car with a "Lift," it helps a lot, had it on my spider and also on the 812 and a good number of cars have them installed. Donno what area you're in, but you ought to see if a dealer or seller will help you out with a test.

3. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Easiest way is to post apicture of your driveway. If your driveway is wide enough to take both decline and incline at an angle, then most likely the car will be fine. Ferrari ride higher than any other exotic manufacturer. I lowered my Speciale by 1.2 inches and it still rides higher than a stock McLaren LT.

4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Would clearly get the lifter......
    If not then protect the bottom of the front spoiler ....

I drive 5 mph on my brick paved street just to avoid potentially bottoming out.

The issue is not the clearance per se but the overhang. I measured my F12 as the same ballpark as my 488 without lifter and its much more of a concern

If you question the clearance it will be an issue.

5. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    This is the driveway in question. It is quite wide but rises 3.5' over 26'. I taped some cardboard extensions that hung down to 4 1/4 inches above the ground to just ahead of the front wheels, just behind the rear wheels, and at the center of my wife's car which has a similar wheel base. I could go straight up and down without contacting the ground although it was pretty dicey as the rear end left or entered the street. I think the nose would be a problem straight on but I do have plenty of room to angle up the driveway. In fact, the far left bay is currently an air conditioned workshop that will get mostly gutted to house the 488.

Another question is how to reasonably figure out the value of a used car. I found the vehicle I like. Its a 1-year old consigned certified pre-owned vehicle and fairly well loaded (suspension lifter, electric seats, nav, rims, backup camera, parking sensor, fair amount of carbon, and triple-layer paint). I also found a new vehicle which is very similar but without the fancy paint. What kind of depreciation should I be looking for the used car relative to the new car's sticker price?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I would def look for a car with the suspension lifter, I got it on my FF and for the first few days I thought it was useless, until I scraped pretty hard on my own damn speed bumps

What you should pay is a personal thing, put up the cars and maybe others can find similar specs so you can pinpoint what kinda pricing sounds more 'reasonable'

7. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    To me, looks like no issue with a diagonal approach which is required anyway for the far bay.
    Again, a lift will add some margin and remove some concern.
    I think you just need to try a couple different ways and dial in your approach and departure.
    Of course I can't judge in person, but from what I can see I wouldn't hesitate to "park in the driveway" if I was visiting with my 488 ;)