575 F1 shifting issue | FerrariChat

575 F1 shifting issue

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by F612, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Not sure if this belongs in Technical but, since it involves my 575 I'm putting it here.

I have had this 11K miles 2004 car about a month and put about 600 miles on it with no issues at all. A great car that is fun to drive and useful as a daily driver.

While doing a track day at Barber today, it seemed to find neutral when upshifting (2-3 or 3-4) out of a high G left hand corner. No problems with right handers. There didn't seem to be a problem in session 1 but it was worse in 3 than 2.

I suspected low oil level in F1 mechanism and removed the rear wheel and inner panel to get to the reservoir. That was easy to do but there isn't any "Full, Low" markings on the reservoir. I put 2 or 3 ounces in and will find out tomorrow if that helps.

Any other comments or suggestions are welcome---PLEASE.

2. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Drain and refill, to the measured level per the manual, would be my recommendation.
    May overfill by doing what you did, as your going on an assumption, error on the side of caution
    The keep it simple first approach would be the same as your diagnosis as well

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The manual and dipstick are both incorrect on filling F1 reservoirs. I would take her to someone with an SD2 or equivalent and have the fluid changed, system bled, self-test/relearn performed, and leak check done. Your tech will have the latest F1 fill bulletin. This should be done every 3 years, but did not make it into Ferrari's recommendations until the 599. Just like coolant changes never made it into modern V12 recommendations.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I seem to remember that clutch wear impacts the way the F1 works - when the clutch needs replacement, you begin to miss gears. Had this with my 575 back in the days.

5. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Clutch problem.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, might as well change clutch before doing any analysis by a pro. Really?

7. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    i had a similar problem...hard straight line acceleration from 3-4 and would select N

everyone said "clutch"...as it had 45k miles on it

it was potentiometer...replaced...solved problem.

clutch now has over 60k miles on it

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, my clutch extrapolated to 62,000 miles last time we checked.

9. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    To close the circle:
    I had 4X30 minute track sessions in my '04 575 at Barber yesterday with the PCA. That adds up to about 115 miles at track speed.

After adding a bit of oil to the container Sat night, the shifting was substantially improved but not perfect.

It shifted every time if I lifted just a bit. It shifted every time if I was smooth. If I got into the sharp lefts too hot and rough (ie sliding around) I was punished by being forced to lift to shift to anything other than N.

Any comments are welcome but I think it is time to drain and refill the shifter system.

By the way, this car has about 11K miles and the original brake pads (as best I can tell) and the brakes faded quicker than I thought they would. Do brake pads have a time limited life?

Any suggestions for replacement street pads?

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i tracked my 575 at barber once. too tight of a track for the porky 575. i'm not surprised you experienced brake fade there.

you need to try someplace like RA where the car can stretch its legs

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brake fade is just as likely from brake fluid as pads. Pagid makes different types of racing and street pads for the Maranellos (same pads 550/575M), including the Pagid RS 4-4 orange pads fitted to FHP Maranellos. Those do squeal until well bedded, though, and sometimes even after being bedded. Porterfield R4-S street pads have worked well on tracked Maranellos, too, and do not squeal as badly.

12. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thanks for your reply.
    Brake fluid changed in Oct 2017.at Ferrari of Ft. Lauderdale.

Does that sound like too long? I have DOT 4 in my 612 but I don't know what's in the 575.

The pedal was fairly soft but I couldn't get the ABS to intervene?

Wonderful sounds and feedback from the car.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Recommended change interval for brake fluid on the 575M is every year. If you are going to track a 575, brake fluid should probably be changed before and after the session for max safety. There are higher temperature brake fluids that are still DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 that will work better on the track. Should be some folks here with recommendations.

14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Thanks. I will flush brakes when I put in the new pads.

By the way, the oil and water temperature never varied from "normal" the whole time.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Maranellos really keep things cool as long as they are moving. Water temps go up when there is no airflow, where hopefully the fans take over and stabilize the temperature at 190 F or so.

16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 575 is not a track car. She is a big heavy baby. Although smaller then say the 599. She is old now. You could have a few issues just due to age. She was the king in her time, but now can be out done by a BMW 1 series. Or a pick up truck for that matter..Keep that in mind.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i ran barber once with my 575. pagid orange pads and motul brake fluid. barber is a tight track more suited for miatas than the portly beast.

18. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Yes, she is a bit older. But Christy Brinkley is 65 and she looks ready for the track!!

I'm not trying to race my 575, just having fun giving the old girl a chance to strut her stuff.

tbakowsky and Il Tifoso like this.
  19. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Taz
    Your spot on with the F-1 trans fluid change
    Even when this is done you can get all the fluid out with out doing a rebuild
    I had mine done right after I got the car and will have it done at the 15k mark since I drive a lot
    Not changing the fluid is the cause of a lot of issues