Classiche Annual Inspection | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Classiche Annual Inspection

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by WCH, Jun 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    +1 well said.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Yawn

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I would too if I kept making the same point repeatedly :)

TTR, Texas Forever, JCR and 1 other person like this.
  4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Awesome photo! Please submit to Barchetta to be mixed in with the others.

These cars should be driven and enjoyed, on the street as well as the track, not just at "events."

5. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Sixcarbs: It is my photo. I chose to share it here, that is all.

BMWairhead likes this.
  6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    According to a Classiche article in the latest Octane magazine the inspections to maintain Classiche status now have to be made every two years, not every year.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    My apologies, the Classiche article I refer to above is in the latest Enzo magazine not Octane.

8. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    So I guess that Ferrari only needs to tell me every two years that my Ferrari is a Ferrari.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    FIY.
    If you sell it and the buyer discontinues maintaining its biennial status as "still a Ferrari", will it cease to be one ? :confused:

10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I don't have an issue with having my cars inspected. I made an investment in Classiche and I have nothing to hide. I'm glad they require that cars mainatain the standards under which they were certified. What's the issue with that? From what I have heard (though I can't say I know of any of these cases personally), there are certain owners who swap out borrowed parts (such as exhaust's) for inspection and then re-modify their cars after certification. I've also found that the people who rail against this practice are also the ones that criticize Classiche for requiring annual inspections. How else are they to maintain the integrity of certification?The stamp of approval isn't for perpetuity.

500tr likes this.
  11. Sergio Tavares

Sergio Tavares Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sergio Tavares
    2500 Euro is to much

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Not Ferrari but of relevance:

From automotive news today
    Porsche sees gold in classic cars

November 17, 2018 @ 12:01 am

Gaudin Porsche of Las Vegas has been part of the Porsche Classic program for three years, servicing older models.

Having customers drive their old vehicles around for years and years would be a problem for some car brands. For Porsche Cars North America, it's a potential new gold mine.

More than 70 percent of all Porsches ever built are still being driven today. But the vast majority of the more than 200,000 classic cars in the U.S. — nearly twice as many as in Germany — are serviced by independent repair shops. Porsche now hopes to bring some of that business into its dealer network by expanding its Porsche Classic operations.

The network has 10 Porsche Classic dealers in the U.S., specializing in the maintenance and repair of the old cars. The stores can also perform factory-sanctioned restorations, augmenting Porsche's restoration centers in Atlanta and Stuttgart.

Porsche wants to enlist more of its 190 U.S. dealers to be part of the program. Porsche Cars North America CEO Klaus Zellmer declined to say how many would be needed to adequately serve the growing business.

"What I can tell you is, I think there needs to be a lot more," the CEO said. "Strategically speaking, we need to ramp up our game because that's a business field where we can still grow."

10 percent annual growth

Despite the low participation, in less than four years, Porsche Classic has become the luxury sports car maker's fastest-growing business in the U.S., growing at a 10 percent annual clip, according to Zellmer.

"The business here in the States is growing at a much higher rate than anything else we do at the moment," Zellmer told Automotive News. "There's a lot of work that we need to do here in the United States in order to take care of those wonderful pieces of art."

The business supplies more than 52,000 genuine parts to dealers and independent repair shops to keep those cars on the road. About 300 new and previously discontinued parts are added to the Classic catalog each year.

A Porsche model is considered a classic 10 years after series production ends.

Classic customers need vehicle services, too, adds Bucky Melvin, Classic business manager for Porsche Cars, and that is an added opportunity for retailers. "If they have a body shop and want to do full restorations, they can advertise."

Becoming a Classic dealer requires enthusiasm, competence and deep pockets.

The factory considers several factors in approving a Classic dealer, including the size and age of the showroom, the store's demographics, the quality of its technicians and the volume of cars that go through the service department.

"It's a thorough vetting process based on multiple criteria," Melvin said. "Many things are considered including their Classic passion and their history servicing their Classic community."

Classic partners must invest between $65,000 to $85,000 in a Classic Corner in the showroom. The store must have a classic Porsche on display, host at least two Classic customer events annually, and send technicians and service advisers for periodic training.

"We want customers to immediately realize, when they step into the showroom, 'This is a Classic partner,' " Zellmer said. "There's a certain footprint that we require. It's like a shop-in-shop system."

Being a Classic dealer bestows a halo effect on the dealership and opens doors to new business.

It's also a way of engaging existing customers and introducing them to classic cars, Melvin said. A Panamera owner who is in the dealership for service might notice the 993 on display and become curious about heritage Porsches.

‘Open our Porsche tent'

Gary Ackerman, owner of Gaudin Porsche of Las Vegas, became a Classic dealer three years ago. Ackerman is a third-generation auto dealer who owns a collection of about 20 Porsche classics, including a 1964 911 and a 1975 911 Turbo.

"I loved the brand, the product, and the history," said Ackerman, who bought the Porsche dealership in the mid-1980s.

The Classic business "allows us to open our Porsche tent to people who are absolute Porsche purists," Ackerman said. "I want those people to understand that Porsche today still values them."

Ackerman said he is in talks with vendors in the independent repair and restoration business about forming joint ventures to broaden the service base of Porsche Classic.

"The more we can say yes to somebody who is running around with a car with a Porsche crest on it, the better off we are all going to be," Ackerman said.

Porsche also acknowledges that additional revenue from the Classic business could provide a hedge against an expected decline in service as electrification expands across the industry. Porsche is preparing to invest more than $6.5 billion on vehicle electrification by 2022. Electric vehicles require less maintenance than internal combustion engine- powered vehicles.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thanks for posting. Interesting info. I actually just applied for Classiche certification for my 355 Berlinetta. Hopefully it won’t take too long.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to gain by Classiche certification?

Matt

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It’s another layer of provenance, and it adds the additional level of factory sanctioned credibility to the quality of my cars.

Smiles likes this.
  16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    most know that for the older ferraris the quality has not been always up to date. also the peolpe from classiche certification not see if for example the door handle from a 365 GT 4 2+2 is from ferrari or from fiat - and there is a great price difference :( even the handles are the same

bernardo66 likes this.
  17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    My 89 328 GTB will be re-certified next week and I’m happy to do it. I’ll do the same for my 99 355 F1 Berlinetta in December. Having them Classiche certified and maintaining that accreditation is important to me. It goes to their overall provenance and creates just another layer to their story. I suppose there are those who cut corners and mess with their cars after getting certified but then again, they no longer carry certification. I’m not sure many are aware of that, or they choose to ignore it.

18. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I got my 330GT certified in 2011 but haven’t had it “re-inspected”. No one has written to me informing me that it needs to be looked at again so I’m working on the basis that it’s still certified.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Does your Classiche Redbook include one of these manuals? I’m not sure if they included them as far back as 2011. For those unaware, this mini manual is for stamping by an authorized Classiche center after successfully being inspected.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    Does that cute little book include little packets of Kool-aid?

Smiles likes this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Nope, just a simple booklet for stamping verification after annual inspections to confirm a certified car remains in compliance. its inserted into a very nice, custom bound hard red book that sits with a hard bound sleeve. The red book includes a full study of your car with detailed images and data from the factory. It also includes a Classiche badge that some choose to display in their car, though mine remain within the red book.

22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Detailed images and data have to be supplied by the car owner to the factory, not the other way round.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Actually, I did not provide the images, nor did I take any of the photos myself. My car was custom photographed by my dealer during its Classiche inspection. The dealer must follow a very detailed application process that requires certain body panels to be removed to access serial numbers, exhaust systems, etc. (depending on the model). This application also details exact images that are required by Classiche for submission, including angles, how the car is framed, type of backgrounds in the images, etc.

of2worlds likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Of course, if not done by the owner himself it is the dealer that does the job.

Marcel Massini

25. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I suppose that would be a possibility for some, though it would require someone who was well versed in the process and had access to a lift and the appropriate tools necessary. For example, for both my 328 and 355, the cars were both on a lift and the rear wheel arches were removed to gain access to required areas for photos. The list of photos on the Classiche list is extensive (I believe close to 200 photos were taken, though not all are submitted). Then, after the application was initially submitted, the factory came back to my dealer requesting more images to be taken. So, yes, I suppose it's possible that an owner can take the photos, though I would be surprised if many are equipped to do so, and do so properly. Still, it's my understanding that all applications and annual inspections must be done by a dealer.

Of course, my frame of reference is limited to my cars, which are hardly ultra exclusive vintage examples. It's my understanding that the process for Classiche certification can often times be a much more challenging and detailed process in those cases. Obviously, you're uniquely qualified to address if this is true.