Alfa 4C vs. 360 Modena | FerrariChat

Alfa 4C vs. 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gated, Jun 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    #1 Gated, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an Alfa 4C for a week on an extended test drive and I thought I'd share some thoughts on it vs. the 360 Modena.

First let me say that I love my 360. It's the first car I've purchased without driving it beforehand (I did test drive a 430 manual and 430 F1) and I was blown away the first time I drove it. Fast, responsive, sounds great and is shaping up to be a classic in terms of styling IMHO. I think it very much lives up to the Ferrari hype / ethos / whatever you want to call it.

All that said, a 4C costs about the same as a 360...if we're comparing a 360 F1 which makes sense given the 4C is not available with a manual but rather a 6-speed double-clutch transmission.

Styling:
    I really like the styling of the 4C. I especially love the way the front fender lines extend back into the engine air inlets. Very jaunty. There are lots of swoops and curves and the ducktail spoiler kickup is great. It's certainly more toylike than the 360 but people seem to like it and respond well to it.

Quality:
    I've read a lot of negative things about the 4C in this regard but it seems pretty solid to me. The panels aren't all on terribly straight and there are little hiccups here and there but really who cares. I don't know of many people that spend much time dreaming about panel gaps. I find the Alpine head unit hilarious and I like that the car isn't perfected to the point of anodyne...like a Boxster?

Performance:
    With 237-hp from the 1750cc turbo four pushing around 2500lbs it goes like stink! I mean it's just a little bomb. It runs out of steam before a 360 does obviously but 0-60 experience is the same and it sounds great. Not great like a high-revving V8 but great like a rude little four-pot. The test car has the optional sport exhaust which is loud and fizzy but it quiets down decently on the highway.

The handling is, as you'd expect, fantastic with great weight to the manual steering and plenty of grip though it will happily wag its tail under power. It's more planted than the 360 and all around feels like a more modern chassis...which shouldn't come as a surprise.

Overall:
    I rather like this thing. It's like a mid-engined Mini JCW with supercar styling. The carbon tub looks fantastic and imbues the car with an incredible feeling of solidity. At 6'5", however, I'm just too tall for this car but if I could I'd gladly drive one everyday.

Stepping directly into the 360 after a blast in the 4C there's more calm, composure and grace. Opening up the 360 reveals more overall speed or at least the sensation of it. The Alfa feels more solid and composed.

All around...an interested experience to see what nearly 20 years has brought to a mid-engined Italian sports car albeit one that is a fraction of the cost of a new 488.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

UrbanHero and greg328 like this.
  2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great review, I've driven a friends 4 C coupe and was amazed by how good it was, will be interesting to see what the depreciation is like, could be a bargain buy in a few years..

M

3. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    For sure! At $40K this thing is a hoot...basically what a nicely used Elise is these days...

4. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    4Cs are nowhere near $40K. The Elise is exactly the car to have in mind when looking at the Alfa. It's a lovely car, albeit a bit cramped. It's main problem would be that if the carbon tub gets damaged then it'd be pretty much a total loss as there aren't repair facilities that can do the work at the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Lookingforfcar

Dec 2, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Andy
  6. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have a 4c with an ECU upgrade bumping it from 237hp to 293hp and it will definitely smoke the 360 all day to about 80. After that, you can clearly feel the lack of displacement from the motor. On the top end, the 360 will start to pull on it above 100.
    I was able to achieve at Willow 8-10mph more in the 360 vs the 4c in the front straight before the braking zone. 130mph(4c) vs 141(360). Though I've noticed both speedos are not spot on.

I drive the 4c daily and it's a blast. It's like someone created a shifter go kart with nice seats and a shell. You can lower the seats to accommodate a taller driver.

After the 4c, the 360 feels like a GT car. It feels enormous and spacious. You can actually store stuff in the trunk and do a grocery store run. Most of all, it's comfortable to drive. The 4C makes you feel everything that is on the road directly through your hands and lower back. But boy, does it make you smile driving it.

Although it feels more planted, I think the 360 definitely inspires more confidence on the track. Maybe due to the CS suspension upgrade and computers, but it is definitely more planted and predictable. The 4C feels super fast on the track but just doesn't carry the speed the 360 is able to in the turns. Probably due to them being driven on fast open tracks like Big Willow and Calspeedway vs Streets of willow.

Anything Doug Demuro says can be counted as horsecrap. He is the last person in the world to take car advice from.
    The cheapest you'll find a 4c is in the 60 thousand range. There is 1800 currently in the US and 3800 world wide.

7. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I know. I was responding to the post about it as a used vehicle. In 5 years it might be around $40K US. This one is $93,000 CDN (I'm in Toronto).

Doug's job is to get you to watch and comment. I find him entertaining but I can tell you that if you fit the 4C is no less comfortable than a Mini JCW for example. The biggest weaknesses I see are total lack of lumbar support (I'm using a cushion from the couch), somewhat difficult ingress/egress and poor over-the-left-shoulder visibility. The latter being the biggest obstacle.

Otherwise it rides well, will waft on torque and quiets down enough even with the sport exhaust.

Obviously there's virtually no cargo capacity.

That must be a blast! I can imagine that on track it's a less optimal setup. It feels like a well sorted street car.

I know, I know...I was referring to the other poster's comment about it as a used value down the road. ;-)

8. jchrisf

jchrisf Rookie

Apr 13, 2014
    University of Louisville
    Full Name:
    Chris Foreman
    Interested in revisiting this thread now that some time has passed. I currently have a 987.2 Boxster, which has been great, and now want to move to an Italian car for street and HPDE track. I am looking at the Alfa 4c and the Ferrari 360. The market now is that the 4c can be had for $20k less than the 360, so which to buy. I keep going back and forth. I feel that I like the 360 a little more but life might be easier dealing with the 4c. I am looking at the 4c in the low $40s for a daily driver and track vs the 360 in the mid $60s. I want to drive a special car full time as I do the Boxster, not just occasionally. I estimate I would want to drive the Ferrari more than 7k miles a year, which might not be practical, although I am very adept at doing my own work. Any more thoughts by people who have tried both cars? I have driven both briefly myself, but availability is not such that I get a lot of opportunity. Thank you.

9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I think a couple of year old spider w/3500 mi, just sold on BAT for <$40K

10. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I personally think the 360 is already a classic and a proper Ferrari, the 4c looks great sounds awful and in 2 years will be a $30k car I’d put money on it I’d be surprised if you lose money on a 360 in the next 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  11. jchrisf

jchrisf Rookie

Apr 13, 2014
    University of Louisville
    Full Name:
    Chris Foreman
    Yes, the Alfa 4c has come down quickly in its first few years - although with limited production numbers, I think they will hold value in the longer run. I see them behaving like the Lotus Elise. The price will drop into the mid 30s and then stay there forever - depending on condition of course.

12. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I’ve owned a 4C Spyder and a F430 at the same time. I love the 4C but they are totally different cars. For a special feeling I still believe the Ferrari has more of that but the 4C is also special every drive just in different ways. The easiest statement so can say about each is the 4C is a fun car and the Ferrari is an exciting car

knocker likes this.
  13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    I know, snarky, but the 4C looks like a smerf car. A cartoon looking, "what is that thing", car. Like an ugly pair of shoes that is comfortable, that is a goofy looking car.

14. Hotshot6120

Hotshot6120 Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Great little review. I was sitting in a 4C last week thinking about that comparison . On a separate note I see those are Ont plates in your pics. I’m new to this forum and the world of 360s. I’m in Ont as well. Is there any way to PM you a off thread topic on here about 360 ownership in Ont?

One thing about the 4C is that carbon tub. I wonder if it took a bad hit, just how much of the car would be left from an insurance standpoint.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Why does it matter? In a bad hit, a payout is the best favour an insurer can give you.

f355spider likes this.
  16. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I wouldn’t call it goofy looking, but it is different.
    A bit like if you put a Lotus, a Boxster and Audi TT and a Pontiac Solstice in a blender. it’s interesting looking anyway....and looks great in whatever Italian name they have for candy apple red.

I don’t really see it as comparable to a 360, but I’m biased. For a car 15 years newer I’d expect it to thrash the 360 handedly in every performance area. If it doesn’t, it’s a fail.
    We’re only making this comparison because it’s italian made, it it were from Hyundai , this conversation never would have happened.

17. J360M

J360M Karting

Nov 29, 2018

18. Hotshot6120

Hotshot6120 Rookie

Jun 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I meant initially the cost could be higher on the 4C, but yes, very true..

19. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    4C with a manual would have been solid 9, but the darn TCT-stuff (dual clutch automatic). No thank you. I can live with the 4-pot (compared the legendary Alfa V6's), but the TCT just does not do it for me.

AHudson likes this.
  20. flyt100

flyt100 Rookie

Oct 19, 2012
    I just wonder how well it would perform in a manual, being such a high boost turbo, with some lag. The TCT keeps it on boost all the time under accelleration, while shifting manually would kill the boost. I have a 4C and I often wonder how well it would perform as a manual, or if it would kill it. As an aside, I love the car. It's a riot..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

21. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I would think it would be a terrible car to drive in a stick. The boost comes on so quickly and it is a low Reving car. I’ve missed a shift with the DCt let alone a stick.

22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I went from 458 spider to 4c

In Performance and comfort the 458 killed the 4c

In “less hassle and worry so let’s go have some fun” the 4c wins. I drive it anywhere, park it anywhere, and don’t worry if someone in a Camry hits me. Yearly maintenance is $225 vs $1400.

It’s a fun car because you can go like stink and not break every speed limit in 1st.

It’s not for everyone. You have to use your muscles to turn it. You have to be a little mad and you have to be able to get in and out of it but it’s a throwback to the supercar era of the late 70’s.

The gearbox reminds me of the F430. A little clunky but more analog and less “digital”than the 458.

Lots more fun than a C7 at about the same price.

Attached Files:

23. flyt100

flyt100 Rookie

Oct 19, 2012
    That's my take on it as well...

24. flyt100

flyt100 Rookie

Oct 19, 2012
    Agreed all around...

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I’d be more interested in how a 4c compares with a cayman s, as that is IMO a more accurate comparison.