Ferrari 458/488 Paint to Sample Option & Custom Special Order Interiors | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458/488 Paint to Sample Option & Custom Special Order Interiors

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Z356, Jun 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

And your post is a prototypical "keyboard alpha male" response.

If you're gonna jump in to this thread, how about contributing to the content, as opposed to kvetching about it.

Enjoy.

D

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

No one is shutting down the thread. Just an effort to get the folks chatting about the topic, instead of complaining about who is posting IN the topic.

Carry on,

D

3. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    FYI, the cost for the button housing:
    Button Housing painted in 1 color $2142
    Tricolore Button housing $2567

4. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #54 Bundy, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    I almost hesitate to post given the OP’s behavior, but I think we have pertinent info that may help others. My wife & I have gone down the custom paint road a couple of times. In both cases, we traveled to Maranello and did custom colors via the Tailor Made program. I’m honestly not sure if you could do “PTS” from the dealer? Maybe possible if you already had a specific color in mind? We personally found it helpful, and a lot of fun, to sort through the hundreds of paint samples available in the TM showroom.

Here’s the Tailor Made showroom in the gorgeous new Centro Stile in Maranello. You can see many larger TM-specific paint samples in background. They also many hundreds more smaller samples.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is Blu Simond used on our 812SF. We already knew about this TM-specific color from very helpful (and polite) posts by Traveller here on FChat. He created it for his tdf. Per TM, our 812 is the second Ferrari to use this color, after Traveller graciously allowed TM to share it with us.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but physically going to Maranello carried the additional benefit of choosing custom interior materials such as this taupe Foglizzo leather more commonly used in yacht interiors. Also the blue Cordura trim and some other unusual materials such as hydrophobic Mycroprestige instead of carpet or alcantara in the floorboards.

Last October, we took the custom paint process one step further at TM by choosing a new greenish silver/gray sample for our 488 Pista. We’re pairing this “Verde Nathalie” (named for my wife’s hazel eyes) with two other TM-specific colors, Rosso Coburn and Bianco Sanae. Also added custom interior materials again, e.g. Posh Green Alcantara. Also designed an unusual asymmetric paint stripe that I’ll share when the car arrives this Fall.

I believe another FChatter (tipozerofourzero on IG) spec’d a beautiful new green paint for his Pista without going to Maranello? IIRC, it was based on a 1950’s Maserati color? So, it seems possible to do it via Atelier or the dealer, at least for a long-term customer like him. We’re a bit addicted to the “kid-in-a-candy-store” experience of physically visiting Maranello and sorting through the amazing number of exterior and interior options that go far beyond PTS. We learn about many options that we never knew even existed.

Hope this helps. It seems that the OP meant well but IMHO, the delivery left a lot to be desired. Challenge64, who created a bare aluminum tdf masterpiece, deserves more respect. Sometimes, the internet can make folks behave in a manner that genuinely leaves me scratching my head.

I’ll leave two more pics of other cool 812 paint details available at TM.

Ciao & Happy Father’s Day to the Papas out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rynoshark, GatorFL, vraa and 11 others like this.
  5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #55 Bundy, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    f355spider, johnr265, C50 and 3 others like this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The Tri Coat yellow is one of those colors Image Unavailable, Please Login

johnr265 likes this.
  7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I plan on doing Tailor Made again with some version of a 812 either the VS or spider so I'll be able to experience this new showroom too! Anyway one of the big problems of the old Tailor Made location was that it was located in a basement inside the factory. Impossible to see color samples without heading into the street. The new one has plenty of light as well as balconies.

Despite what the OP thinks, I don't work for Scottsdale Ferrari - or any other dealer for that matter. But there is something to be done here with a local dealers cooperation. I cannot find a full gallery of all paint samples all together all taken at the same time with the same lighting. Case in point the discussion here about this Pista Spider and it's true color - all owing to lighting discrepancies. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/488-pista-spider-picture-thread.582673/page-23

If someone has the time, it would be awesome to see all the dealer samples photographed all with the same camera settings sunlight, in shade, and in artificial light and reproduced here as a library of colors. If this already exists, please link it up as I cannot find it.

johnr265 and Bundy like this.
  8. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    That would be very useful.

The balcony definitely helps now at the new Centro Stile, but we still walked out front with Stephanie to look at our samples in bright light vs. shade. There are subtle differences in various lighting conditions. I notice it especially with the various reds.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

An 812 Spider or VS sounds like a perfect TM project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rynoshark, tomc, jm2 and 2 others like this.
  9. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    So true, and there is nothing like seeing a sample in person, in the sun (and shade) to see how it reflects light and changes. I was shocked how different some of these samples looked compared to photos. I have spec'd two Ferraris from new but am not yet ready to due a TM or Atelier car. I would willingly fly or drive to a location though just to be able to see the wall of samples. Sadly, even in Maranello when I was there touring the factory, they could not arrange to let me in just to see the wall of paint samples. Hopefully, when the NY Atelier store is running full steam, I can get in there to see "the wall" :).

tomc and Bundy like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I can't stress enough to view color samples in natural outdoor lighting. My former employer had a whole room studio dedicated to color selection with a multitude of lighting sources. But the final decisions were ALWAYS made in outdoor natural lighting. Always. Image Unavailable, Please Login

ScottS, johnr265, C50 and 1 other person like this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Thank you for sharing

ScottS and Bundy like this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

What is the Porsche market dead that it's time to navigate over here to try to figure out some way to try to make money being unique in the Ferrari world?

All those PTS cars not really holding up in value are they. Who would have thought ordering a ugly green car would still be worth what an ugly green car is worth. Does t matter if it's birch green or BRG on a gt2rs.

Ferrari will do it virtually anytime for a price.

Nothing special.

Ferrari will take your money.

Spending several hundred thousand dollars on Ferrari options is nothing new and you know what... People do it for themselves not to get extra money out of resale...

Also... Do you realize the guy you have called a drama queen was being extremely nice to you and trying to help you. Also he has probably the most amazing tdf ever built and yes it was completely custom.

We are lucky to have such a great guy on these boards. I'm also lucky he lives in my town. I don't know him directly but everybody likes him... Well except for maybe smug Porsche guys

Lukeylikey, Elisesko, Bundy and 3 others like this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That is a problem in the Porsche world. People are more concerned about flipping the cars than actually owning and driving them.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yup. All the quick.monwy mortgage brokers found a new schtick and it was Porsches. Now that there isn't much of a margin left... They are vacating.

I love it

I also love that Porsche guys were all about driving... And gt3rs are driver's cars... But what became valuable were goofy colors and leather air vents... And delivery miles.

Such a jokw

SoCal to az likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They are great driving cars but so many games. Not only with the dealer but also many of the owners. I miss my Porsche’s and will get back in one at some point but I’m out for now.

I had a broker try to sell me a 2rs about 9 months ago for 175k over Msrp. Told me the it was going to be a million dollar car. They are barely going for Msrp right now. Lol

Lukeylikey and technom3 like this.
  16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yup have a 2rs I'd take sticker for. With the wp

SoCal to az likes this.
  17. Kami777

Kami777 Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    I have a color question if anyone knows. Looking to purchase my first Ferrari soon. I like a color from a different manufacturer- non exotic car maker. How much does Ferrari charge if I want my new car painted that color?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If it’s a fully custom color, I believe it’s 30k. If they already have something in their samples that is close, might be 17k

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    A little bit off topic but because of this post, I didn’t realize the red stripes on the engine. When I ordered my Pista, it was too late to change. We ended up doing it after delivery and I have to say it makes the car.

here is it at delivery:

Here it is after modification.

20. Kami777

Kami777 Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    I wanted polymetal gray from Mazda. So 30k for this? If so that is crazy! Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I believe they have a Nardo Gray that is similar for less. It’s not called nardo but Ferrari version of it. Talk to your dealer to see w far at is close to the Mazda color.

Kami777 likes this.
  22. Kami777

Kami777 Rookie

Dec 3, 2020
    No not nardo gray. It's actually a gray but with a blue undertone. I can't find anything that Ferrari has that is the same

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That actually looks more blue than gray. I would guess they have some thing similar. Best to visit the dealer and see all the samples.

Kami777 likes this.
  24. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Out of curiousity, paint or wrap material? Looks great either way.

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    we were going to paint it but I asked my wrap guy to try wrap as he was wrapping the whole car regardless. He wrapped it and it looks great and has held up. So I’ll leave it and paint it in the fit tire e if it ever needs to be redone.

johnr265 likes this.