Nice GTS on Bring a Trailer | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Nice GTS on Bring a Trailer

Discussion in '206/246' started by Skippr1999, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I agree. I just looked at all the photos again. It looks very nice, but certainly not perfect.
    Looks like the GT is moving up.

UroTrash likes this.
  2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    #27 UroTrash, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    Interesting comment about this being the new “benchmark” from which all others will be subtracted.

It appears to be a very nice car with a few incorrect bits, no evidence of rust mitigation but certainly not a new benchmark.

Restoration in the 1990s makes a very nice driver.

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    In my experience, well done restoration on any 45+ year old vintage car, whether done in 1982, 1990 or 2018 and properly maintained afterwards can make a very nice or in some cases a great driver.
    Unfortunately, regardless of make or model, very few qualify.

Not-so-well sorted restoration, OTOH, even if finished today, can offer horrible driving experience.
    IIRC, there's a phrase like "Looks can be (VERY) deceiving" and especially those on images provided by "seller" on some interweb based sales medium.

375+ likes this.
  4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hope that's the new normal, but that car wasn't a good example despite the comments on BaT. I didn't see one thing that didn't need attention on that car.

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Agreed. Hard to think there's not at least another large chunk of work left to be done. I'm no pundit too, I'm cheering them on, just ask @Skippr1999 ;)

synchro and Skippr1999 like this.
  6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Imagine what a more correct and fresh example such as yours would fetch.
    We all know these are endearing cars, but we've been on the ownership side too long and forget how a new buyer sees these as a gorgeous yet usable and simple to maintain exotic that is part of the romantic auto period.

Exotic car buying is an emotional event, wait until Dinos hit the $1M mark one day.

Skippr1999, Neelfryer and UroTrash like this.
  7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Re: Dinos reaching $1MM.

I believe the cohort of likely buyers is gradually decreasing since men of a certain age are becoming mere memories to loved ones.

As our generation ebbs, prices will certainly soften then flatten and eventually erode.

We have, or soon will, achieve Peak Dino Pricing.

Anyone here interested in an A Model?

No, I didn’t think do. Maybe your dad....

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I disagree. I’m 50 and see the Dino as automotive art. I get the aging men of your generation, but the Dino is iconic and one of the most beautiful designs of all time. Model A, not so much. The pre war stuff is of no interest to younger people, but I think Ferrari is different.

Neelfryer, UroTrash and GIOTTO like this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Following that line of thinking, 250 GTOs should already have passed their peak 10 years ago, D-type Jaguars 20 years ago, and you would be lucky to get scrap value for a Blower Bentley.

UroTrash likes this.
  10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Skippr1999 likes this.
  11. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Uro, I'm 33 and the 246 is an achievement of design, class, speed and automotive excellence I declare about very few cars (my short list being an A6GCS, Lancia Flaminia Zagato SS, DBR1 etc.). It is the only vintage Ferrari I will pursue until I am wealthy enough to own one, too (my son's middle name is also Dino, and he's only 1/4 Italian, so, I am a bit biased, and yes he's named after Enzo's son AND the car :D)

My value thoughts are, as we move ahead to the future, when the next vintage renaissance hits (ala 2011-2014), these will double up again, and get even closer to $1MM.

Neelfryer and Bluebottle like this.