348 R12 freon capacity? | FerrariChat

348 R12 freon capacity?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ferrari360driver, Jun 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Anyone know the capacity of the 348 freon? Also how much oil the system needs? I am evacuating my system and installing a new expansion valve, O rings, and drier. Then going back to R12 from R134A.

axarunner likes this.
  2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It's in your owners manual with all the other fluid capacities: 150cc of oil, 2.4lbs R12.

3. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    R12 is a CFK and very harmful to the ozon layer
    Also a green house gas: Global Warming Potential 8500x that of CO²
    Banned worldwide since 1995!!
    Plse do not use it

4. AuthenticRebuilds

Feb 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    david
    sounds like you know what your doing. I did find with a mercedes c55 I had, that I had forgotten about the vacum pump running overnight. I shut off the valves and gave it a few hours to check and see if they had moved for leaks and was happy they hadnt moved. after filling that car was very very cold, I had a pic somewhere but it was in the 20s coming out of the vents cold. since then when I charge a system i do the overnight vacum and I love it here in SC. To bad non of those cars have had cupholders by the vents it would be a great way to keep my beer cold!!!

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m curious why you would go back? When everything is working properly R134 is an adequate cooling agent. I find R12 to just be a pain these days. You have to have a license to buy and use it so anytime you go low you have to pay someone else for something you could do yourself in 5 minutes with R134 which anyone can buy at any auto parts store or Walmart...

6. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    simple. r134a is not blowing ice cold. new compressor and new drier in the car and yet it blows cool at best and properly charged. I am switching back because that is what the car was designed for no matter what adapter ports have been installed and called a "conversion". I am doing it because I can get endless R12 for 20-25 bucks a can without a license. Its my choice.

7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nobody said it wasn’t... you’ll have to let us know if it actually improves the output temperature after changing back to R12.

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    In the case of R12, I don't weigh the cylinder when filling or topping-up. I use the well known method - fill until there are no more bubbles passing under the sight glass (occasional few bubbles a re ok).

vjlax18 likes this.
  9. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    so according to my shop manual its 210 CC of oil or 7.1 ounce. When I evacuated the system today I only got 3 ounces out. Hoping a good bit is in the old dryer. Any tricks to getting the rest out of the compressor?

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The rest is not in the compressor but spread around the system. According to the table at the bottom of page 2 in the attached document, as a guideline, the Condenser, Evaporator and Filter Dryer take about 4 oz. (you can ignore the "Accumulator" shown in the table). Thus, you have the balance of 3 oz. in the compressor. The specified 7 oz. is when the whole system is completely dry. So, if you are not replacing any of the mentioned components, just put back 3 or so ounces. If replaceng, say, the Filter Dryer, add another ounce. Alternatively, you can flush the whole system (with a special AC solvent), leave the compressor to drain for a couple of days, replace the Filter Dryer (recommended anyway to be done at every disconnection of the components) and then you can put the whole 7 oz. in.

Attached Files:

11. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    any suggestions on draining the compressor oil?

12. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Your post rings a bell...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144706520/

The '90 ts I owned was previously converted to "Freeze 12", which is no longer available. "Freeze" was an understatement! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jqpd99 and axarunner like this.
  13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    But after the car blew its compressor clutch (on the way home from the car's full engine-out service) I had it fully converted to R-134a. It was still too cold to run at full blast, even during Florida summers.

My current '92 tb runs very cold using R-134a.

jqpd99 likes this.
  14. ferrari360driver

Apr 8, 2012
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yeah I am converting back to R12. I have it on the shelf, got myself some ester oil and a flush kit

15. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I just made a 10-day trip to France, Switzerland and Italy
    On the way out is was very hot in France
    Noted temps up to 38°C (100F) of outside air
    Incoming air temp was as low as 12°C (55F)
    Temp of A/C was set to 25°C as to not make it too cold in the car
    Using R134a in my 348GTB

Conversion was done 3yrs ago, so still running fine

16. rob.kruiswijk

rob.kruiswijk Formula 3

Jun 15, 2014
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    When converting to 134a why aren’t folks saying you don’t need to swap expansion valve? Is it ok to use original and just change the dryer?

18. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    I wouldn't do without changing expansion valve, along with drier, and all O rings. Also, make sure to flush/drain all the
    mineral oil that is not compatible with R12. POE or ester oil is your best choice for retrofit; it is compatible with both R12
    and R134a.

19. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Really want to stay r12, but its getting harder to obtain.

20. Bucci

Bucci Karting

Jan 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mark Bucci
    Just bought a jug on Offer Up

Carmellini likes this.