First Track Day in a Ferrari!!! | FerrariChat

First Track Day in a Ferrari!!!

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 3POINT8, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Hi - I signed up for my first track day in a Ferrari. I tracked my 911S three times or so but have never tracked a Ferrari. I'll be driving my 458 at PIR. What should I expect? Any suggestions?

On the Porsche I was told not to use the parking brake after a session as it might warp the rotors. Can you leave the parking brake off on a 458? I also read other threads on this topic and they said to make sure to do one or two cool down laps after each session. Also to watch your temps. Any other helpful hints or tid-bits would be much appreciated! As you can tell, I am very amped!

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You mean PIR as in pheonix ISM? If so what you are going to have to worry about is the heat on your body and on your car. Stock cooling systems are pretty marginal and high ambient temp just make that worse.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Portland International Raceway (PIR), just a guess.

4. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    yes portland international raceway. i am concerned with the heat and what temp oil should be at.

5. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Yes, there is a procedure for not using the parking brake after you arrive back in the paddock. I will come to a complete stop, open driver’s door so I can lean my head with helmet to the left and with foot on brake press the upper button of the parking brake then turn the key off. This will prevent the parking brake from engaging and simply use the mechanics of the transmission to keep the car from rolling. For more detailed explanation it is described in the owner’s manual.

Never have had any heat related issues with track use. We run in hot 90 degree plus heat on sunny days and the car cools itself properly.

Good luck and enjoy.

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome thanks so much.

what tire pressure to you recommend? I have MPSS

7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    also what degree will the engine/oil rise to? am i good as long as it's not in the red

8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    fwiw-- I leave my metal cover to the brake fluid reservoir off the car completely now so I can quickly do a visual. (430 not sure what a 458 looks like under there)

make sure you have a good feel for the brakes the first lap out. temps shouldn't be a issue from what I've heard.

tire press. 25 cold and then adjust from there? some like low 30's others like high 30s?

Be wary of anybody over torqueing your lugbolts. I open my engine lid as soon as I get parked to let it cool off.

how did it go or when you running? that's a bucket list track for me.

(12 out of 13 track weekends in first three months this year until divorce imminent) retired now.

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    wow good for you with your track weekends. i am running july 18. PIR is a great track, really safe, wide open, great turns, two long straights. can't wait

10. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    From PIR this spring.

Rembrandt, wiley355 and gatorgreg like this.
  11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Ah Portland. Much more forgiving track the Pacific Raceways. Go check out The Ridge. It is fabulous.

wiley355 and jcurry like this.
  12. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    awesome video. your 488 sounds great!

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I put my helmet on and got in the 458 and i don't really fit. i have to slouch quite a bit. anyone know a low profile helmet?

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I am 6'4" in a 458. Welcome to the club.

15. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    how in the heck do you fit in with a helmet????

16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I will remove the pads out of the carbon fiber seats. I even have a top blower on my helmet. Most of the guys we are racing are 170 lbs or less. It is hard to keep up but somehow I do it. You have to out smart them or out drive them.

17. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    Wikdstrate, wiley355 and pdxjim488 like this.
  18. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I been tailgated a few times by 458s in my scud.

Nice Picts!!

19. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Nice pictures. Bring those Ferrari's to the track. That's what Ferrari's were made to do. Not to sit in a garage or drive them to dinner!!!!

ZF123 likes this.
  20. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I took my 458 to Lime Rock for the first time last week. I drove seven 20 minutes sessions. The car sounded fantastic. I really enjoyed it. Only issue was near the end of the last session, the TPM indicated my right front tire was losing air. I came in early and pumped it back up. Went back out and it was losing quicker. Ended up having two golf ball size bubbles in the inside tire wall.......done for the day. But still a great day!

21. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Start with new pads or at least pads with lots of life (more pad= more ability to absorb the heat), fluid, brake bleed. Bring some rubber remover for the tire slag marks that will get on the car body work. Keep ESC on and on Race mode while your getting comfortable (ESC) can save you in a slide but it will wear down the brakes much faster. Once you are comfortable you can shut ESC off to save pad wear if you want down the road. If you feel brake pedal getting softer/longer come in for a cool down. And have fun!

Manda racing likes this.
  22. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Tracked my 355 at The Ridge a few years ago. Agree - it is fabulous. Now have an F430 which I have not tracked yet. Most likely will be PIR since I now live in Vancouver (WA).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

dweintra and Eric R like this.
  23. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Wiley, did you take that 355 to Redmond a couple of times a few years ago? I love that car! Not sure I could go F430 for it.

24. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Exotics at Redmond Town Center was my Saturday morning routine with the 355. I miss the car and ERTC, but am very happy with the F430, which I got last September. Been driving it alot as there are more great roads down here than what I had access to in Seattle.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Eric R likes this.
  25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I knew it! Awesome 355 you had. I lusted after it often. Enjoy the F430!