Capristo exhaust with turbo engine | FerrariChat

Capristo exhaust with turbo engine

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by KarlA69, Mar 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

Wondering if anyone has experience with a Capristo exhaust fitted to a turbo engine (Cali T, Portofino, 488 etc). Does it sound a lot better / louder than stock? Does it resolve the issue of turbo engines not sounding as good as naturally aspirated?

Also, assuming you have the type with a remote fitted, does this mean the exhaust no longer switches from closed to open valves at c. 3k revs (which I found to be annoying when driving a Portofino). Instead, the valves are simply open or closed, based on setting on the remote...?

Any feedback appreciated!

2. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I just had one fitted to my T, since it is in storage at Algar until April 1st I only heard it on start up, which sounds a lot better. I don't like the remotes (had them on a few cars in the past) so mine will open and close the same way the factory did. There are videos on youtube if you do a search.

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Great, thanks! Yes, I have seen youtube videos but it is hard to assess properly. A lot of them are recorded with camera phones which don't capture sound accurately (especially that type of sound). Nothing beats first hand reviews!

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well give a about 2 weeks and I will give you my opinion.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Cold startups should sound better because I believe the turbo is not engaged so you get the full flow, full volume of exhaust gas out the exhaust pipes. However once the turbo is operating, part of the exhaust flow is redirected so the sound inevitably changes. OTOH, once the exhaust gets really hot, you should hear better pops and bangs on the overruns.

6. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
  7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yep.

That's what the sport cats and X-pipe did to my NA Cali30. It got A LOT louder, sounds absolutely epic like a race car when I keep the revs up, overwhelmed every other unmodded car around it. Everything is louder and the car will shrug and pop with valves open every so often even when I am just taking it easy. Everything settles down when I close the valves to cruise more quietly. There's no change to the software/ECU at all, amazing what a tuned exhaust alone can do.

My only caveats are that the scream I used to get from my OE and sport mufflers dropped noticeably in tone and I hear a raspiness (like paper being ripped) from the exhaust but all super fast cars seem to do that (also use sport cats?). That freaked me out when I first heard it and I thought had an exhaust leak. What you hear inside the car is also different (quieter than) from what is heard outside, even with the roof down.

My original H-pipe/factory cat setup also feels better when I start off the line and where my light wheels/sport muffler setup would literally bolt the car right off the ground. With the X-pipe, initial acceleration is less explosive, but once I hit mid rev range, 4000-5000, the X-pipe/sport cats setup feels like it's turbocharged with an open, scary top end and the car is much faster than with the H-pipe/OE cats which feels peaked out.

As with all power improvements, you should balance them within the limits of any stock suspension, rims, tires and brakes.

8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    A tune should really improve the off the line jump as well.

9. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The X-pipe/sport cat is definitely better off the line than a straight OE setup but the H-pipe delivers more low end torque than the X-pipe when mated to a sport muffler and light wheels. The X-pipe is more about HP increase than low end torque. I have inquired with Fabspeed about tuning in the past and you're free to PM me.

10. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi guys,

Wondering about those who have experience with an after market exhaust for their Portofino. I fitted a Capristo exhaust as soon as I got the car and have driven it for the past month or so. It does sound good with valves open, but still not as loud and throaty as I’d like...

- I’ve heard sports cats are expensive and not as much bang for your buck...
    - I’m hesitant to replace the cats with a straight through pipe. It won’t pass an MoT (unless you go to a ‘friendly’ tester), might have insurance issues in event of a claim etc...

Can anyone recommend anything else (beyond muffler replacement, which I’ve done) to get more of an old school sports car scream...?!

11. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #11 Piper, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Should? This is a thread about Capristo. If you're going to jump in, might be with numbers rather than "should". Facts, your exhaust will be louder, lighter, and it will be lower grade steel and wear out sooner than stock or Capristo, which is one reason why people have a higher regard for Capristo over the competition. Personally, I think I'm done with aftermarket exhausts in general. But when someone asks about the reference standard in aftermarket exhausts and the bargain alternative chimes in with what their stuff "should" do, I just think it's a little crass.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California

I was thinking about upgrading my Portofino with Capristo or Novitec exhaust. Does it sound considerably better ? Did you ask your Ferrari dealer if it would void the warranty ?

13. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Capristo does sound better (with valves open) but still not as good as a decent naturally aspirated engine. I think that’s just nature of turbo engines. Towards top end of rev range (above 5k) is does sound pretty good though

It won’t affect warranty. In fact, you can get a Ferrari dealer to install it (which is what i did)

Il Co-Pilota, LucasFerrari and Carnut like this.
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would agree with the above, and I never thought I'd hear myself utter these words (I must be getting really old), but I am glad the piggyback unit can be turned off completely with the phone app. There is really very few times you can actually use that extra power sanely on the street.

15. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Guys, anyone have any experience with the sound after removing cats (ie. using straight through pipes) for a turbo engine (488, Portofino etc)? I have already changed the exhaust to Capristo on my Portofino but I'm not that impressed.

I'm not asking about the legality of it, which is a separate topic, but rather the sound... is it significantly louder with no cats? Does it sound good, like a decent nat-aspirated engine, or just loud (in a bad way)?? Thanks

16. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would imagine, it would be louder, you maybe be able to find some clips somewhere. I would say try and listen to one first, my bet would be it will still not give you what you are wanting.

17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Im still looking into exhaust options for the Portofino. Can't seem to find anyone who makes a 100 or 200 cell sports cat.... any leads?

I think Novitec do but expensive and long lead time. Any others tips appreciated.

18. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I have been looking too. Fabspeed is looking for someone with a Portofino who lives nearby to bring it in for prototyping. I wish I were somewhere near. Vivid Racing sells Novitec cats for about $8400 and Novitec x-pipes for about $3700.

19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Which piggyback system are you using and what kind of power are you seeing? Is it available for the 488 as well?

Thanks

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here's a few things to consider. First off, your Porto is a very new model. Not many around, and very few with mods. At this stage you will have to consider yourself a test pilot if you want exhaust mods.

I would look into the Novitec cats if I were you, and mate it with the Novitec ECU. You will need the ECU mod as you will otherwise have o2 sensor issues. In this case it's nice to get a package that works.
    Novitec knows their stuff, and as Piper touched upon, like Capristo, they make a high quality product.

Understand that you cannot expect your Porto to sound like a 488 with a modified exhaust. They have different intake manifolds, different camshafts, and the Porto exhaust is much longer. At this point in time, you will most likely have to try it out for yourself to see what suits you.
    And at the end of the day, are you taking that huge of a risk? Considering the price of hour Porto, the cats and ECU is not that extreme in terms of aďded cost. I'd say there's a good chance you'll like the change. But hey, that's just me, I don't have your ears.

One thing I will stress and urge you to consider. If you opt for test pipes, keep in mind that they WILL make your car smell, and that smell will get inside the cabin over time.
    It's not the pleasant smell of a race car running leaded race fuel. It's the smell mostly associated with an old heap with a leaky exhaust and a poor engine tune. There are tradeoffs everywhere and the stink of test pipes on a modern GT like a Porto is simply not worth it in my humble opinion.
    Some may tell you that there's no smell. But frankly, I think that's bs. Either they are smoking 60 unfiltered Camels a day and their sense of taste and smell has gone, or they are not willing to face the fact that their so great sounding pride and joy, now smell like a 35 year old **** box that belongs in a scrap yard.

Not trying to offend anyone, just telling it as I see it.

4th_gear likes this.
  21. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Co Pilota thank you for your words of wisdom!! I have read a lot and come to the same conclusion... test pipes on a convertible don’t make sense

Also, there is the nightmare scenario of you writing off your car and the insurance saying it was not road legal so no payout. Maybe extreme but it could happen

Stick to sports cats. Save the whales.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought mine as a package deal, someone was trading in a T and had it removed before they did. I was able to get the capristo and the piggy back for around 3k. The unit was made in Germany (I am 99% sure by the same people that make novitec unit), for Vivid Racing. I suggest contacting them, though I think they do make one for the 488, but I cannot imagine ay place to could use that power on the street.

23. SB27

SB27 Karting

Dec 2, 2015
    I have not done the PiggyBack but can vouch for the fact that the Carpisto exhaust for a 2016 California T is sublime. Nice improvement in sound without it being outrageously loud and annoying.

My bet is it sounds equally good on the Porto.

Some here have suggested doing the X pipe + the Capristo/Novitec sport cats is the way to go. I concur this is likely the optimal approach.

I also agree here that going with straight test pipes is a bad idea.

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Just an update for those interesting in improving the sound of the Portofino... I have the Capristo back boxes fitted and they are an improvement on stock but still have more of a blare than a nice high pitched sound.

I considered Novitec sports cats but very expensive so am getting them (100 cell) from Kline innovation instead. They don’t have them in stock so are borrowing my existing cats to laser scan them then make them. I presume this means they can easily make them for others, too.

Kline are making me some x pipes at the same time. Hoping these two mods make the difference I want... will report back for others considering it!

Fireman1291 likes this.
  25. fanboy01

fanboy01 Rookie

Jul 15, 2011
    May i ask what does x pipes do?
    I'm considering getting the Capristo exhaust but no intention to change the cats. Will stock cats + x pipe + Capristo do a good job?