458 Airbag just deployed for NO REASON! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Airbag just deployed for NO REASON!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458Guy, Jun 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    well after seeing everyone's comments i guess i am pretty lucky that my local ferrari dealer gave me a fiat 500 for 3 weeks while i did the recall and did some repairs. But that loaner is no longer available...

The airbag recall is only for the passenger air bag, not related to any of the side airbags or driver side.

2. Dorin Candea

Dorin Candea Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dorin Candea
    I got my passenger air bag replaced 2 years ago and I did get a loaner from my favorite dealer

I also took my car in for some work this year and they gave me a loaner ( it could be one of their own cars , not a Ferrari of course )

of2worlds likes this.
  3. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Well regarding the loaner vehicle, since the dealer refused to provide a loaner and told me that would have to be authorized by Ferrari directly, I did email two days ago and just got a response from owners.ferrari.com that they are "not in a position to authorize loaners, please speak with your dealer directly", so clearly loaner authorization is on a dealer by dealer basis. I bought my Bentley Continental GT online a few years ago from a 3rd party dealership and my Bentley dealer here in MN has been AMAZING to work with, last time I was in to have an air strut replaced, got a BRAND new Bentayga as a loaner, and I didn't even have to ask for it. That is the type of customer service I expect with this level of car, where you bought the car from shouldn't matter one bit, it's still a part of the brand!

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  5. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Is that your only car? MB offers loaners and I don't take them because I have multiple vehicles and they drop me off and pick me up. This way I'm helping save loaners for the people who really need them. Loaners are expected at MB because of the nature of the car/customers. Not so with F cars - different scenario all together. When I take my Lambo in they are right next to an Audi dealership (same owner). So because of that, I always get an Audi loaner which works out good for me. Lambo dealer is 110 miles from my house. MB dealer is in my town.

6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Your dealer can give you a loaner, but they don't want to. They could pay for it as a courtesy by giving you a FIAT or another car within the parent company, as most dealers have other in-house brands too (Maserati, etc.). Your Bentley dealer either got compensated by Bentley if it was a warranty repair, so Bentley foots the bill, or priced in the loaner into your service visit. Us dealers will roll brand new cars into service loaners, as that would count as a vehicle sale for performance goals and we get to at least use the asset, then sell it for less after a few thousand miles (4-5K).

As for your airbag situation, since it's out of warranty, good luck. Be vocal about it and hopefully your dealer steps up and handles it under a customer satisfaction or defect issue. Dealers can make decisions when it comes to warranty work, and what qualifies, but under dicey situations like yours, they will consult with the manufacturer's regional field tech. These are some of the laziest and dumbest people on earth, they've never run a business and have no general clue what customer retention is. This also reverts back to how much your dealer wants to fight for you and push the field rep to approve the reimbursement to the dealer by the factory.

Probably too late, but your car just got a hit on CARFAX.

7. CT Audi Fan

CT Audi Fan Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2011
    Is the dealer you purchased from not obligated to give 30 day used car warranty? They are in my state. I realize it wasn’t a Ferrari dealer but doesn’t matter. Or was it a private sale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry to hear about your drivers side air bag deployment.
    All I can say is that from my Ferrari ownership experience, 16 years and over 230,000 miles, that I’ve not had an airbag issue.

The fact there was a problem with cracked plastic suspension parts raises the suspicion of a problem which could have led to the airbag deployment,

I hope you have some sort of warranty. But you will need to prove that his isn’t a case of damage due to a road hazard.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    I got a new Q5 loaner last time I took the Huracan in for service.
    Ferrari I got a Ghibli loaner.
    Mercedes a GLC 300
    BMW a X1.

Ash Patel and SAFE4NOW like this.
  10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Does anyone know if auto insurance covers the suspension damage and airbag replacement if due to a road hazard such as a pot hole?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I can tell you 1st hand , that it has in the past.

100% of airbag deployments like this situation ,that I have personally seen, were due to impact. Each of them were covered by the owners insurance.
    ( Ferrari, Maserati, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, and BMW examples I have worked 1st hand with )

Steve

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  12. cyl911

cyl911 Rookie

Jun 19, 2019
    CA
    Full Name:
    Yilin Che
    I had the same problem. My passenger airbag blew up because of a bump. I bought a used airbag online and replaced it. And found a repair shop to cover the leather again

kiryu likes this.
  13. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    If the airbag controller detected an impact, why did it only deploy the one side airbag? If it intentionally only deployed the side airbag, then it must have falsely detected a side impact. How could a bump in the road, even a severe one, be detected as a side impact? If the facts are as stated, then to me this looks clearly like a defect. But since it is out of warranty, I am guessing Ferrari will not cover it. I think if it was me, because of Carfax, I would not have it repaired. Just cut it away and do the best upholstery repair possible without generation a Carfax hit. I would disclose it when selling the car, so as not to be hiding anything.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

LOL what state is that? I will guarntee you that there is a year/age limit as well as coverage limits. A used car dealer can not be held liable for a product they didn't create 5 years after the manufacture stopped covering it...

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    You are not the only one that this has happened to.

i know of two others. Driver side air bad deployed in both instances.

The airbag is actually pretty cheap to replace... about 800 dollars.

The door panel from Ferrari is $8000.

There is a guy in florida who will redo the door panel for 3500.

I would just take the panel to a local upholstery shop and see what they will charge. One hide is going to be about 800 bucks to a grand and then its just labor. I am sure you can beat the $3500 pretty easily.

I would much rather spend 3k out of my own pocked than having it go on my carfax with an airbag deployed

16. 458Guy

458Guy Rookie

Jun 10, 2019
    Yes, I have been hearing from quite a few people about these airbags deploying unexpectedly. Ferrari Lake Forest has been very pleasant to work with and their official inspection did reveal that there is a small crack on the white bushing on the strut and a small tire scuff mark on the top of the wheel well. Because of those two factors, in Ferrari's opinion, an impact occurred that was sufficient enough to set off the airbag, but of course, no way to show when that bushing cracked or when that scuff mark actually happened on the wheel well. But also in that same inspection report, the dealer did confirm that there is no exterior body damage whatsoever, and the rims and tires are absolutely fine, not even a tiny leak.
    But since Ferrari informed me that their legal team is monitoring this thread, all I am going to say is that I am very disappointed that my dream car and dream car brand chose to respond in this manner and their best advice was just to open an insurance claim...

vraa likes this.
  17. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Disappointment indeed, sorry this happened. But yeah ferrari didnt really get to where they are today from customer service (think lexus). It's a snobbish brand IMO and I always get the vibe from its dealers/image/attitude we need them more than they need us. If you love their cars u gotta put up with it unfortunately

18. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Don't open a claim. It will kill your resale.

Glad Ferrari is monitoring this. They can see how stupid they are being.

LVP488 and Ash Patel like this.
  19. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    On the topic of loaners, I took my 458 for service at Lake Forest Ferrari and they gave me an 8 yr old brown Mini Cooper base to drive. Said if I didnt like it, I could call a taxi. Lol.

I'm sure there was a better way to phrase that. Every other car brand I've owned has had superior customer service. Its pretty shocking Ferrari corporate isn't more involved in checking up on that.

20. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    If their legal team is watching... they should look at the brake failure threads as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  21. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Th recall is for the passenger airbag just had the service last month with my annual. Also got a lowner car Maserati SUV of course wife and I did some shopping while car being service as I didn’t want to go 60 miles home, and come back.

of2worlds likes this.
  22. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What was the resolution to this issue? It’s been 3 years…

1) What did Ferrari end up doing about this in the end?

2) Did this end up on your car fax for the car?

3) how did you get the leather door panel repaired?

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Dont say this has happened to you ? :(

You need a purpose track car.