"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different" | Page 7 | FerrariChat

"Vettel Could Have Done Nothing Different"

Discussion in 'F1' started by aaronrgonz, Jun 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    No matter which way it goes , and i do doubt that Ferrari will win the appeal, the whole thing is a farce . You can't even fart in an F1 car anymore without getting a penalty , never mind racing hard . What a joke.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Brundle interview today, nearly 2 weeks later.

stavura and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    prior to the FrenchGP dated June 20th.

Ferrari's representatives requested to attend a hearing tomorrow with stweards related to Vettel's Canadá penalty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Kimi Raikkonen was asked by #AMuS about Vettel's penalty in Montreal: "Seb had no choice but to return from the grass to the track, you have no grip on the first 50 meters of dirty tyres, so you have to fight to keep the car on the road."

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Autobild found out that Ferrari wants to show telemetry data at tomorrow's hearing with the stewards. It shows that Vettel's initial speed during his rescue attempt in Turn 3 was 70km/h slower than normally. A number that underlines Seb's statements.

In addition: Ferrari wants to prove that Hamilton did not have to leave the track with all his four wheels, because only then Vettel would have had the case of "dangerous driving".

Mercedes already preparing themselves in case the stewards will change the penalty. They want to say that they choose a more defensive strategy after hearing about the 5s penalty...

daytona355 likes this.
  6. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They can also say Vettel should have slowed further to join safely the track. There is a caveat for each side lol. The race to be over shadowed by this. Silly. LH had to brake. Prove he didn’t need to?? That was essential to the ruling.
    F1 cannot win either way. Reverse this and Vettel would lose what little composure he has to see a new ruling go against him lol.
    Like most he loves the rule if not affecting him at the moment

7. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144255/vettel-doubles-down-on-canada-penalty-stance

Sebastian Vettel coyly avoided questions about his Canadian Grand Prix penalty and his Ferrari Formula 1 team's Friday hearing in France, as he reiterated his belief he did nothing wrong.

Ferrari has been summoned to the stewards tomorrow at Paul Ricard to discuss its request for a review of the incident where Vettel ran across the grass in Montreal and rejoined just as Lewis Hamilton tried to pass him for the lead.

The team wants the stewards to revisit the incident, which led to a five-second penalty that cost Vettel the win, and ahead of the French Grand Prix Vettel faced multiple direct questions about what happened in Canada and the stewards' hearing.

"First of all it [the review] is to open the case again and have another look," said Vettel.

"I think we bring some information that maybe the stewards didn't have at the time, and we'll see what happens."

Asked if he was confident about getting the win back, Vettel replied: "I don't know, but I still have the same view as I had two weeks ago. So we will see what happens."

Vettel did not offer substantial responses when asked about the support he had received from several world champions and current F1 drivers in the wake of the penalty, or about Nico Rosberg's criticism of his mistakes.

When asked what happened to the promise drivers received from the FIA about being allowed to race more freely, Vettel said: "I don't know. Honest answer."

daytona355 likes this.
  8. DF1

Kimi Raikkonen (Alfa Romeo): "[Vettel] had no choice. When you're on the grass you have no control and then when you re-join the track, 50 metres later, you still have a lot of **** on the tyres, so there's not much you can do.

"The odd thing is that this year they keep telling us more freedom to race and then this penalty happens. They say it's no one fault but there is a penalty.

"Honestly, I'm on no-one's side, I don't care, but what Seb did, the penalty and what's on the rules somehow doesn't match ... I guess the stewards are always in a difficult position, whatever ruling they issue there's always going to be happy and unhappy teams. That's how it is."

9. DF1

Max Verstappen (Red Bull): "I think in general if you are going to award a penalty maybe don't do it during a penalty because it takes away all that excitement of Lewis catching Seb and fighting for the win, Lewis was just cruising behind Seb and just needed to stay within those five seconds.

"Looking back at it the first mistake that happened was Seb going off the track, but then I think when he rejoined he didn't do anything. He was not purposely blocking Lewis so I think why they gave him the penalty was wrong. To give the penalty, in general... if you are going to give penalties like that, why don't you just put a wall there? Then of course if he made a mistake the race is over for him.

"I'm not a fan of penalties, I've had them myself many times, so I've tried to stay out of the stewards room now, I just go in and say hello! It's maybe not good for F1 as well, but what can you do about it.

"I think he did everything he could to come back in a safe way. Of course when you go off in the in the lead and you know Lewis is behind a second, or a second and a half, you stay on throttle and you know you're managing. But Lewis saw him going off, so when he goes through the left-hander he know Seb is going to come back on and then of course he's going to drift wide and then he had to back off. If I would have been Lewis I would have been on the radio like 'hey, he blocked me', because you know it's in the rules and there's a possible penalty. I understand both drivers."

10. DF1

Interesting perspective from Max and Kimi

daytona355 likes this.
  11. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Vettel made the mistake. Even if he didn't block Hamilton, he basically made an error, cut the track and continued like it was nothing. They could have radio'd him to let Hamilton through instead though, but there's probably more to it than we're seeing.

12. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands

It's all pretty ridiculous.

stavura, daytona355 and ChadR like this.
  13. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    Yes, Hamilton I feel should have been given a penalty at this instant also. :eek::D
    A lot of people seem to like Hamilton...

I understand what you're saying...

Bas likes this.
  14. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I love all the criticism on here of Seb making a mistake, and how he should’ve handled it. Have you ever wrestled a near 1000 horsepower monster at fighter piolot g-forces around a street circuit? Let alone the reactions it takes to control that monster when it bites you. Way too many uninformed opinions out there. Probably 99.9% of the drivers on this planet would’ve balled that car up into the guard rail.

15. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    They're not as hard to handle as back in the day.

You making it seem like they have a clutch pedal and heel and toe down shift like back in the day. or like its like some fighter jet.

Honestly these new 'turbo vacuums' are boring.

If anyone has some repair manuals, give me a link.

16. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    There was zero reason to let Hamilton through. He entered the corner ahead and left the corner ahead. He gained no advantage.

stavura and daytona355 like this.
  17. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Really and you’ve driven one?? I certainly don’t want to pick a fight, but your comment is pretty ignorant. I recently lapped Nurburgring in a professional simulator in a GT2RS street car and was utterly exhausted after 2 laps. Mind you I was on a real track for 90 minutes prior in aGT3, and the simulator was harder because of the G simulation.

18. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I'm not picking a fight either. You need to understand that driving these cars are second nature to these guys, because they go through programs from they were kids. Go Karts to open wheel formulas.
    Simulators are not real life. You push harder in a simulator naturally because it's not as risky.
    They are not as hard to drive as before, and the cars are much safer. They have a paddle shift by the steering wheel now.
    Back in the day, you had to let go the wheel to change gears and deal with a clutch. Plus the engines are not as raw.
    I've been watching formula one for decades...

19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That scene at the end may have been the funniest thing I’ve ever seen in racing.

20. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    He was leading the race , yes he made a mistake , woopti doo , he shouldn’t have to come to a standstill and let Lewis go by just because we went off track . Gotta let them race and it was good hard racing till the stewards screwed it up , let the guy behind you earn the spot . I am not if fan of Seb but he got robbed

21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

+1000000000

Bas likes this.
  22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    How do you slow when you're on the grass? Brake and you spin. Even if you keep it straight you're not slowing down.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Paul di Resta very clear in his opinion: "It shouldn't have even come NEAR the stewards!''

daytona355, stavura and furoni like this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Yep ..ant Davidson said rules r rules ,so stewards had to apply penalty on information they had.

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yep, but he explicitly said he wasn't a fan of those particular rules...

The Monaco thing was discussed but had to answer phone, no idea what was said.

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.