Wheel/Tire Advice | FerrariChat

Wheel/Tire Advice

Discussion in '308/328' started by TheBigFish, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheBigFish

TheBigFish Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    William J Bass
    I just took delivery of a 77 GT4. It came with the 14" Cromodora wheels + vintage XWX's (date code 2518..so quite new) without the center hub cap thingies. I have priced several sets of the center caps having come to the conclusion that maybe I should just store the Cromodora + XWX's and buy a some gold (looks great on red GT4/GTB/GTS's imo) 308 wheels from Superformance and get some matching tires of which there are many. Also gives me the freedom to add larger brakes in the future, cheaper replacement tires, etc.

My question is this, is there a compelling reason to get a staggered set up versus a single width?

Another question, has anybody with a GT4 done the QA-1 retrofit as outlined on Birdman's web site?

2. TheBigFish

TheBigFish Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    William J Bass
  3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    I would keep it as Enzo and Nikki intended .
    Use those expensive tyres up before they age harden or wear out .
    Mine came with 2001 rock hard tyres , not very worn but very aged giving a rock hard ride .

Then when ready for the next tyre change have a rethink ,you will be armed with a bit more GT4 handling experience by then .

Get some Dino wheel caps .

77 was a bit of a transition year badge wise .
    It’s market dependent exactly what badges / logos it will have or had if the previous owners have molested it .

By way of example mines a January 77 Italian car .
    Dino wheel caps on 14 inch Chromodoras with 195/70;14 ( 208 ) widow sticker says Michelin XDX which are no longer made , so I fitted some modern everyday regular Yokohama’s normal street car tyres - seem fine .

Dino sterling wheel horn button ,
    Dino on the rev counter and speedo .
    Ferrari prancing horse front badge , but if you look under the front piece between the lights the original rectangle dimple has been filled in ,with filler squinting out of the original Dino badge fixation holes , which as we know is turned the other way ..This means that panel is original.
    “Ferrari “on the trunk lid only and no filler in any holes .No “208 GT 4 “ badge .
    A small horse in silver RHS of the rear number plate attached by drilling two holes in the rear panel .

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    They look so much better with the 16 inch wheels. Same with the QA1 update, better shock and can lower the car a bit. I understand the keep it original view but I constantly fail at it. Up to you but I’d do both. Just keep all the original stuff for when the car ends up in a museum or someone’s multi million dollar collection.

5. TheBigFish

TheBigFish Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    William J Bass
    Both are on order, along with the Energy Suspension bushing set. I'm even keeping the old koni's.

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #6 BillyD, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    I put the Energy Suspension bushings on my 308GTB but went with the original style rubber ones on my Mondial. Lots of opinions both ways. Chance of squeaks but easier installation on the Energy ones, be sure to get the right lube for them and apply liberally.
    Enjoy a more modern ride.

Ps you do the 7 and 8 widths?

7. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    16" 7" wide fronts and 8" wide rears were OEM extras and fitted with P7s. 225/55 16 Rear and 205/50 16 Front IIRC. Personally I think the car rides and handles much better on the 16" tyres although mine has slightly stiffer suspension too.

Mine is a UK supplied 308gt4 76 car and it has never had a Ferrari badge or horse on the back. But if you like it, why not?

8. TheBigFish

TheBigFish Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    William J Bass
    Staggered. Went with some conservative tires Pilot Sport A/S 3+