488 - Pista New Record Holder Over SVJ | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Pista New Record Holder Over SVJ

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Jun 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    How is it? I really want to get my hands on but they dont sell 2rs in my country.
    Been driving 993, 996, 997, 991 including S 4S turbo 3 3rs and only 2rs is missing.
    Just dreaming...how wonderful it would be as a slide machine. Hint of gas and rear will dance...ah...
    Wish Pista does some but it aint FR or RR. MR slide is risky and not fun.

2. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ftfy

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It's sensational. The sheer precision....incredible! I'm just blown away with the balance of the thing through corners.....I don't know how they did it this time but the engineers deserve a medal. Definitely won't be selling mine any time soon that's one thing for sure! Pista is unquestionably very fast but it's hard to overlook the consistency of 2rs being able to wipe the floor on the majority of occasions. From what I read here the 2rs was on cup tyres not R where Pista was on R for this time trial. Funny because it wasn't that long ago and we were all watching and commenting on this..

Makes me smile when reading guys sitting on the bench here saying 2rs has been dethroned LOL. Sometimes passion and the Ferrari brand loyalty here gets in the way of reality....which is understandable - after all Ferrari is a very passionate car indeed!! Long live the Pista!

j09333 likes this.
  4. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    That test was saomewhat questionable. Vid shows Pista driven with race mode. Why test cars at all if one can not turn off nannies. Not saying which should be faster and I hardly dont care about Pista performance at all but testing with any traction control is just not right thing to do.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Has there ever been a time when a test of this nature has been presented (as evidence of superiority) where questions weren’t raised by the losing party with the winner claiming handicap as a means of defence?

The most convincing test usually involves having the respective competitors all playing on the same field at the same time - and at the hands of the same driver.

I actually thought the last test was more meaningful than this one as it is easier to quantify (time-wise) any real benefit from different rubber compound.

6. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    The GT2Rs in this test was on cup2R's and it had been fettled with by Manthey racing. The pista was on Cup 2's. This is interesting test, but it's far from an accurate representation of the difference in pace between the 2.

The following isn't either - but it shows what happens when the tyres are the other way around. These test were done by Sport Auto around Hockenheim.
    Pista - 1.45.9 (cup 2R)
    GT2RS - 1.49.1 (cup 2)

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm glad you see the point I was making. The cup2r compounded tyre evidently gives somewhere between a 1 and 2 sec advantage at most and with that in mind places both extremely close yet still far enough away from the Lambo to make a solid point/win over that car. Incidentally the Lambo brakes are commonly reported as dodgy by most pros.....although a few passionate owners on this board refute that :rolleyes:....to be expected though.

8. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    The clutch, the weight, the size, the 4wd, the butter brakes. Lol

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That wouldn’t make up that much time difference.

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After just having driven the Pista in lapping days and comparing it with my new Perf I can tell you it’s brakes (the Perfs) aren’t in the same league as the mighty Pista.

I STILL LOVE IT THOUGH.

11. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019
  12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There is no comparison in the looks department though. None.

It’s still just a damn 911...

boobernackle and SLDriver like this.
  13. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    The Cup 2 Rs almost seem like cheater tires as they barely last. My buddy picked up a set for his GT3RS for $3,600 for an upcoming track day but he's got more money than God. Not sure the extra grip is worth it unless you're a pro driver going for lap records.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sometimes looks don’t amount to much at the end of the day.

Agree Pista is a good looking car but the Gt2 has a lot of presence and dare i say draws more attention and admiration than my 488 which also drew a lot.

It may be just a 911 in the eyes of some but I count my blessings every day in being able to own both.

johnr265, dmark1 and Boomhauer like this.
  15. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Wish I have more money than god so that I can buy Chiron right now....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    He's got over 2 dozen cars in his collection including GT2RS and SVJ. We should recreate these tests on same day, tires and driver. Haha.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    As a GT2 RS owner, I can say that it draws much less attention than my Speciale or 488. Mind you, the RS is chalk whereas the F cars are both Rosso Corsa.

18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When you see the Pista in the flesh you will see what I mean. It looks very different than the 488nof Speciale....much more agressive, ,much more sculpted. It is the prettiest Ferrari in 40 years (with one exception - the LaFerrari).

boobernackle, stavura and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #44 Shadowfax, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    My 2rs is red and the 488 GS. Both draw attention and untold favorable comments wherever I go. Pista is RC so I guess that will be a show stopper as well.
    I didn't really get red on either 2rs or Pista to draw attention - just saw red as the best color for those. Never had anything negative, only positive and heaps of thumbs up on the 2rs and I mean heaps. A mate of mine has chalk 2rs, the other a GT silver 2rs and both vanish in the presence of my red 2. Just how it is i'm afraid. I kept black for my .2 3rs to balance things out plus for stealth.

20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I love chalk. I think it’s a great color on a Porsche.

Bhh and SLDriver like this.
  21. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Agreed. Looks incredible on the GT2 with the black accents.

Bhh likes this.
  22. Luque

Luque Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2009
    Italy
    An R coumpound tyre need generally more camber to perform at its best. So with standard set-up differences can be 1,5-2 seconds depending from the circuit and the temperature, with a fine suspension set-up difference will be higher. That GT2RS tuned by Manthey propably had used CUP R. The peak of performance of these tyres are the first laps

Luque

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #48 Shadowfax, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    The set up/alignment is determined by tyres but in both cases here these 2 cars are so god dammed fast it wouldn't matter to 99% if they had R or 2R.

Gt2 Pista look great in pretty well any color - just some colors draw more attention to the eye while accentuating the accents better. The chalk and silver are nice but pale against the red yellow and bright green. Its a mad car deserving of a mad color. Same with Pista.

These comparos and claims of superiority are fun to argue but at this level of performance and, with so much else to enjoy in the actual driving of the cars I wouldn't take the outcomes too seriously.

24. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    You are wrong, Pista test by Sportauto, Gt2Rs test by AutoMotorsport, different driver different days different condition, Tyres are correct

25. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Thanks. I knew they were different days, I didn't know they were different magazines and drivers.