How to Program Homelink for the 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to Program Homelink for the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2k7997tt, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyeslasher

eyeslasher Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    any additional tips to programming the homelink?

I changed the battery in the remote transmitter

I reset the homelink by pressing the to outer buttons until rapid green flashing light appears

I feel like I don't have the remote transmitter directed at the homelink sensor properly.

Is it supposed to be between the mirror and the front windshield?

thanks for any additional suggestions

2. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Are you sure your opener doesn't have a modern version of Homelink? If not see my note above.

3. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Some transmitters on garage door openers, etc. will time out transmitting after a few seconds. This feature is to mitigate battery drainage if the transmit button were inadvertently depressed for a long period of time for example, in your pocket pressing on some loose change. This is not to say they all have this feature, but many do.

So there you are pressing the transmit button and holding for 20 to 30 seconds to get HomeLink to clone the signal .. but unfortunately your transmitter ceased to transmit after 5 seconds or so. In this case, you will not be successful in programming HomeLink.

To overcome this, press the transmit button on your transmitter for a few seconds then release the button and immediately press it again. Repeat this until HomeLink recognizes the signal. I have found that this technique may resolve the problem of HomeLink not seeing the signal ... assuming you doing everything else correctly

Steve

4. eyeslasher

eyeslasher Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Thanks Steve. Tried your method without success. I looked and noticed I have a new lift master with the security + 2.0 system so I ordered the home link compatibility bridge $25 thru amazon and I will report back.

Thanks all

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    If that fails, you can get a universal receiver that you connect to the two screw terminals on the back of the garage door opener. The receiver will pick up specific frequencies of remote fobs. You just buy the fob that matches. For example:

here is the receiver ... https://www.amazon.com/Linear-MegaCode-Receiver-1-Channel-DNR00100/dp/B0007RDUJE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498711411&sr=8-4&keywords=linear+universal+receiver

and here would be a matching remote transmitter. Program it first to the universal receiver and then to the HomeLink ... https://www.amazon.com/Linear-MCT-11-1-Channel-Visor-Transmitter/dp/B004HN7R9I/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004HN7R9I&pd_rd_r=ZB9W19JBWSNPYKND88ZM&pd_rd_w=bqYc0&pd_rd_wg=8d6br&psc=1&refRID=ZB9W19JBWSNPYKND88ZM

I am using this on my cars and the transmitter programs fine to HomeLink.

Steve

6. eyeslasher

eyeslasher Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    as noted above, i needed a homelink compatibility bridge for my new liftmaster garage door opener (I think the 458 uses an older version of homelink)

bought the homelink bridge on amazon for $25 and successfully programmed the 458 homelink buttons today

one less remote in the car!!

7. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    +1

Updating because I didn't see the behavior I experienced with the lift master remote.

2010 458 and Liftmaster 8500

1. Cleared homelink (press/hold 2 outer buttons until rapid flash).
    2. When I tried to pair the garage remote with Homelink in the car, the light just slowly blinked. Never rapid so it wouldn't take the remote programming.

With the bridge remote, homelink in the car took it in 3 seconds and works perfectly after syncing the bridge with the garage controller. 2 mins and all is good.

8. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    I guess it all depends on the garage opener. I programmed my homelink to 2 rolling gates and my garage door with no problems. 1 important step is to make sure your erase all previous codes, even if the car is new.

9. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    And your lift security version I believe.

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  11. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    In some cases, this is a two-person operation. One must be on a ladder to switch between the rolling codes on the garage door motor while the other operates the homelink in the car.

12. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    To program a rolling code compatible Homelink® system, please follow these steps.

1.Press and hold the two outside buttons on the Homelink® system until the LED starts to blink, release buttons.

2. Press and hold the desired Homelink® button and the transmit button on your rolling code transmitter at the same time until the Homelink® LED changes from a slow blink to a rapid blink. (Your Homelink® system is now programmed)

3.Locate the learn code button on your garage door opener. (These are located under the light cover or on the rear panel depending on model)

4.Press the learn code button on the garage door opener, a red LED will start to blink. (You will have 30 seconds to complete programming)

5.While the LED on the garage door opener is blinking, return to the vehicle and press the pre-programmed Homelink® button 4 times. (Or until the garage door operates).

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/homelink-garage-door-opener-setup-f12.535891/

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Somehow I think there should be a more user friendly system.

Perhaps a mobile app which you interface with while inside the car. In this way you can select the button you wish to program
    And thereby bypass all the blind pressing and holding and pausing.

I’ve wasted hours of time trying to get Homelink to work on MBs BMWs Lexus and Ferrari’s

14. JohnGolia

JohnGolia Rookie

May 8, 2016
    just took home a 2018 488 spider
    could not get home link to work===this vehicle has HOMELINK VERSION 3 !!
    version 4 and 5 are out
    my garage door opener will not work with #3
    need to purchase a homelink compatibility bridge
    works perfectly
    good of FERRARI to give us the latest and greatest

15. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Something to try ...

Some remote transmitters will cease transmitting after a few seconds. This is done in the interest of saving the battery in the case that someone might have the transmitter in their pocket and be accidentally depressing the button for an extended time. If your transmitter has this feature, then it will be very difficult to program to HomeLink because it needs about 20 - 30 seconds to clone the signal.

Try this ...

Perform the normal HomeLink programming method. Typically, holding the transmitter close to the HomeLink receiver and press the transmit button whilst holding the programming button on HomeLink until the HomeLink flashes that it successfully cloned the signal. But instead of holding the transmitter button continuously, press the transmit button for a few seconds ... then release the transmit button and very quickly press it again for a few seconds. Keep repeating this sequence of press - release - press again for the full 30 seconds or so that it takes HomeLink to clone the signal.

No guarantee this will work ... but worth a try.

Steve

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My 488 Spider doesn't need a bridge but the model years before do.

17. JohnGolia

JohnGolia Rookie

May 8, 2016
    strange my car just arrived yesterday
    maybe old parts bin ?

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I just programmed my 2018 488 to my garage door opener (with rolling code). The way I did it was to just push the programming / learn button on the garage door main unit (on the ceiling) and then push the button on the home link in the 488. I had previous tried holding the remote to the visor and holding down the button, but didn't have any luck with that (although doing that prior might have had some effect on the entire thing). It actually all worked a lot easier than I was expecting.

Ray

19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Here is a link to the post where I described the proper procedure a couple of months ago.

20. JohnGolia

JohnGolia Rookie

May 8, 2016
    not sure this is possible according to HOMELINK
    must be paired with a remote ?

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No, you can do this in your garage in fact. It works but trying to use a paired remote doesn't for some reason. I was able to use a paired remote for my RR and Maserati but not the 2018 488.

22. Predator Strike Force

Jan 10, 2019
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I didn’t read all the posts in this thread but this is what worked with my 2010 458. I have Lift Master garage door opener’s.

Make sure your key is in the “ON” position.

Press the learn button on the garage door opener main unit, not the remote.

Within 30 seconds, press and hold the Homelink button on the mirror you want to link to.

After two or three tries, the light will go solid and your garage door will go up or down.

Best of luck!

23. crabdaddy

crabdaddy Rookie

Jan 10, 2019
    Happy Valley, Oregon
    When I first got my 458, I tried everything and could not get the Homelink to work. When this thread popped up again, I re read the whole thing. One guy suggested holding the remote BEHIND the mirror and guess what? It WORKED!! That was the key

24. Gonzales25

Gonzales25 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I tried in vain when I first got my car... This thread gave me the confidence to try again lol and this time it was a success. I have Genie garage door openers, what I did was:
    1. Cleared all codes
    2. Pushed button on remote fob and pushed homelink button and held the remote fob within an inch of the mirror (I kept moving it front to back around the mirror), here's where patience played a role. The remote kept timing out so I had to repeatedly push the fob and push the homelink every 15 seconds or so in unison until the green light started to blink (took about 4 tries before it learned the code).
    3. Once the light blinked green I pushed the learn button on the opener itself and than pushed homelinnk button about 3 or 4 times and voila!

I thought I needed one of those bridges, glad I didn't buy one...

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  25. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Last week I successfully programmed the Homelink system on three of my cars (including my 488) to operate both garage doors. Although the programming steps were different for each car, I did not need a bridge. I’d been putting this off for the longest time, but I grew weary of my own reticence and I was determined to complete the programming and realize the convenience of this technology. So glad I made the effort.

DefunctNeurons likes this.