Swap Portofino for F12... would you? | FerrariChat

Swap Portofino for F12... would you?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by KarlA69, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    #1 KarlA69, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Had a Portofino for a few months now and there is a lot to like. However, it’s quick but not a proper super car. Also, I’m not a fan of the noise (despite having a Capristo exhaust fitted)

I could trade it for a 2015 F12 for about the same money. Not driven one yet, but I imagine it’s much, much quicker... and the sound is a world apart?! Plus, the chance to own a N/A Ferrari V12 is special...

Would love to hear from anyone who owns both (or at least driven both)... would I regret it?

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Swap. In a heartbeat. You'll never look back.

boobernackle and R J like this.
  3. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    No question ... DO THAT DEAL!!

R J likes this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    By "...not a proper super car" I suspect you mean the PF's not as engaging to drive or as exotic an experience to own... in effect, not extreme enough. If so, I do agree. The PF and the Cali models before are all meant to be more practical and easy to live with and not always engage 120% of your attention when you are booting it along your favourite route. OTOH, the F12 is also not a convertible, if that is important to you. If you notice F1 cars like the first race cars remain open cockpit whereas NASCAR, DTM race cars are not. As well, the legendary NA V12/V10/V8 F1 cars are favoured for being more engaging by spectators and F1 drivers alike, over turbo engine F1 cars.

This is one of the reasons why I found it really helps to own more than one supercar, as supercars tend to be focused and cannot deliver a full spectrum of supercar experiences in one car. IMO, the PF and the F12 are both supercars, delivering different aspects of supercar experiences. If you long for the NA engine screaming F1 cars, you will love the F12. But then you'll miss the open top driving experience of the PF.

In effect, if you only own 1 supercar you might end up having to continually switch cars, because you will never find a supercar that delivers well on all supercar experiences.

Russ123, Mechanical Dad and Carnut like this.
  5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    This should not be a question at all..

6. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    If you only need two seats, then try a 488 spider too. I was always comparing PF with F12 when deciding which way to go. For me right now 4 seats is important. If 4 seats wasn’t important, and after driving the F12 and 488 spider, I’d go 488. I think the V8 in the 488 was plenty loud and more playful at lower revs than the V12. You’ve really got to trash the V12 to get the wicked sound. You can also hear the fuel being sucked through the motor when driving it like this. In saying that I’d actually go for the 488 Pista if I could get my hands on one. Maybe more $ up front, but less depreciation. So another thing to consider. :)

7. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I actually am in a bit of a different boat. I am going to add a Cali/PF or 458 Spider for a second F car shortly to go with our F12. The F12 is a glorious beast, but I want something that the Wife or I can just get in a go. The F12 is not quite like that, sure it can be tame, and to some a DD. I think it is so much more involved from a driving perspective. Honestly we want another Spider, and something not as brutal for more casual driving. Open top, less power, less dangerous for the wife to drive (She loves the F12, but it scares the hell out of her, and she is a legit driver. She had no problem with any of our other Fcars (250, 365, 355, 360) and 3 lambo's. No issues, except for the F12.) The Back End came around on her a bit, and that was about it for her liking to drive it :)

But to your question - The F12 is awesome, if I were to only have one - that would be it.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I would agree with everyone in this thread (and that is rare), as most of you know I never have only one car, and what might start out as a normal car turns into some very different when I am done with it. I am looking (I guess the word looking never really applies to me), to add a 458 coupe to my summer cars, and Algar is keeping an eye out for one for me. I have one thought for you OP, try this. Go to a office park on a weekend when it is empty, turn off the traction control and let it loose. I do this with every sporty car I buy, have my own flags with suction cups, make a little figure 8 with them. The problem I find with drivers of cars like these is that many owners go to extremes, they either foolishly drive like maniacs, or they drive like the car is a Camry (never seeing its potential) worried that they will somehow cause something to go wrong with the car. Michael and Richard make very good points, I love the F12, but in my current car lineup it would not have a purpose, where the 458 coupe would (it would be my more powerful better sounded 718 Cayman without a stick). In the end normal people seem to be affected by marketing material, and reviewers and form an opinion before they even sit in the seat. I will say this the F12 can get away from you pretty quickly (especially when you have traction controls off), and is very good at hiding the fact you are going double the speed limit. good luck

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    A bit off the original topic. But have you had a go in the 812? It's so much more planted and secure footed than the F12. It's faster and more powerful, but the chassis is so much more sorted. Throttle response/sensitivity has also been improved tremendously - a bit like the throttle response improvement the 458 Speciale saw from the Italia. Lastly, while the steering is still fast, it's much better weighted. Just some thoughts if you wanted to get back into the modern F 2 seater V12 GT, but in a more wifey friendly fashion.

Would I trade a Porto for an F12? Sure, if the open top experience not a factor, as well as the extra "seats". But then again, if the space in the Porto was not an important thing, but the supercar and open top experience were important, along with the sound, I'd skip the F12, and choose a 488 Spider with a Novitec exhaust and Novitec sport cats.

10. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Ferrari V12s are something very special...

R J and vraa like this.
  11. luckyguy

luckyguy Karting

Nov 18, 2016
    venice italy
    If.u plan to have just one Ferrari... Yes I would do it.

Portofino is nice, new... But like a child game.

F12 is a dream forever , probably lack some new electronic stuff.. But do u really care ?

Just my 2 cents

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

12. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Just ask Chris:

Fireman1291 and Chizz like this.
  13. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Wow! I’m loving that. May have to part with the Cali one of these days for an 812!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    #14 richard_wallace, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    I have and a buddy of mine has an 812 which I have some decent seat time. I love the 812, but the F12 looks are more my style. I truly believe the F12 is the only modern Ferrari that brings me back to where I started with my Ferrari obsession as a kid and ownership in the 90's of my first two F-cars from the 60's . I would totally agree the 812 is more planted and much better driving and even better interior. I may end up with one, but I believe I will keep the F12 until I can't drive it any longer - it is just nearly perfect. Only modern 12 better is the TDF, but not in my price range. I also love the looks of the 458 as well as a 2nd. but nothing beats a 12 and the F12 is one of the best IMO looks, speed, etc.

15. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks for the feedback, all.

If anyone has a red (prefer not Rosso Corsa) F12 with a tan/cuoio or similar interior and would consider a swap for a Rosso Portofino coloured Portofino with 2k miles and very high spec list, pls PM me. The car is 2 months old. Full PPF applied by Topaz. The F12 must be UK based. I’d consider a cash balance to settle, depending on details.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think that will be easy. Not that many Rosso Corsa F12's were ordered I believe.
    Just a suggestion here. Look for Rosso Maranello. It's a real red, but the GT v12 cars te d to look better in metallic reds. The solid Rosso Corsa really flattens the lines and contours, which unfortunately makes the car a bit two dimensional. Just some food for thought.

17. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Thanks, although I did mention NOT Rosso Corsa. I agree with you - Rossa Corsa looks quite flat and almost a bit like plastic on some cars. Hence I ordered a metallic red (Rosso Portofino) for my Portofino.

Rosso Berlinetta was I believe the launch colour for the F12 and looks great. Will also check out Rosso Maranello, as you suggest.

18. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think RC looks pretty good on the F12 :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

luckyguy and Avia11 like this.
  19. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I can't believe that you are selling after waiting all that time and specing the car to your exact requirements.

I would check out the Portofino Novitec performance upgrades that include a full exhaust and power upgrade.

I did consider and test drive an F12 instead of the Portofino but it was the convertible roof, proper infotainment system, buying a new car rather than pre-owned and the complete buying a new Ferrari experience that really swayed me.

I'm sure you will enjoy and F12 if you get one, but just be aware of paint bubbling on the rear wings around the air vents, which is a well known problem.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Ha! Missed the not.
    Yup, Rosso Berlinetta was the launch colour. Not really my thing. Don't know what it is, I just find it a bit, uh, muddy or something along those lines.
    Rosso Maranello is a fav of mine. Very vibrant, lush and sporty, but it retains the elegance and poise a front engined GT needs. Have not been a fan of Rosso Corsa ever since it became a twin layer PPG paint. Way too flat and milky looking. About two months ago, I saw a Testarossa that was painted in Glasurit FER300/6 Rosso Corsa sitting next to a Speciale in the current modern PPG incarnation of Rosso Corsa. The drpth and luster the single layer solid RC had is gone. I honestly think the modern Rosso Corsa makes the front engined sport GT cars look bloated and fat. Sorry, not trying to offend anyone. Just my take on it.

Keep a lookout for Rosso Monza, Rosso Fuoco and Rosso California as well. Good colours for the F12.

21. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    My friend who owns a TdF, 812, FF and PF among others is always driving his PF. I asked him why? He says because it is so good. Quick, comfortable and easy. Having all the toys in front of him he does not reach for the razor sharp 12s but the comfortable perfect v8. Now he does love his 812. The other cars he doesn’t even mention.

I keep thinking I have to add a PF. I love my F12 but there’s something to be said for how he looks at it.

Scott

22. bml71

bml71 Karting

Mar 2, 2019
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bradd Lewis
    I have a Portofino and an F8 on order. Having driven my Porto now 4 months I expect to spend 95% driving the Porto because it really is just the best everyday car - the balance of practicality, performance, specialness and enjoyment is just right on. For sure there are times where the 10/10ths of a Pista or hopefully an F8 are just the best but I would describe it this way -
    If the car is too 10/10 you find reasons not to drive it - too wet, too cold, too this too that whereas the Porto just is always a great option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    If you don’t like the sound of the PF, likely the 488 won’t cut it for you either.

Perhaps a 458 spider.

24. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Yes... the curse of a turbo! I have Capristo back boxes on my PF... have booked it in to get sport cats and an x pipe fitted shortly... a last ditch attempt to get the PF to sound good! Hopefully that will help and keep me happy for a while. I can still see myself switching to an F12 next year though

BTW I'm 6, 4"... don't fit in a 488! I doubt I'd fit in a 458, either.

25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    BTW if anyone has a view on whether taking that extra step is worth the money, please let me know (i.e. adding an x pipe and sports cats to an already 'improved' exhaust (with the Capristo system)... for a turbo engine. Will sound improve noticeably?

I don't need it to be louder... just a more high pitched F car scream!