Low mileage 3.2 Mondial Coupe not started in 10 years | FerrariChat

Low mileage 3.2 Mondial Coupe not started in 10 years

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Woodstocksparky, Jun 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Hello Mondial fans!
    I always have been drawn to the 3.2 Mondial Coupe and have an opportunity to buy one with only 8k on it.
    Its been sitting in dry storage for 11 years. The owner is offering me the car for around $10,000. so it has some appeal at that price. I have a great shop being a master electrician by day and been building 500 hp Volvo's successfully for over 10 years. BUT a Ferrari has always been my dream and for my 50th birthday my wife is even taking me to the Ferrari Museum in Maranello. I just don't want my dream turn into a Nightmare!
    I don't dare try to start it without fresh fluids and maybe new timing belts so;
    What should I look for when I go kick the tires?
    What is fare price for a 1989 3.2 coupe non running?
    Really hope this works out for just love the Mondial and don't think i'll have an opportunity like this again!
    Cheers

paulchua likes this.
  2. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    What's the condition other than not running? Got photos?
    At 10k, there's a lot of room to get everything sorted depending on what it needs.

davemqv, mustbenuts and paulchua like this.
  3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If you don’t buy it, I’m a buyer. PM me.

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Every time I think about a cheap Ferrari I remember the saying “The cheapest Ferrari normally turns out to be the most expensive”.
    Or Clint Eastwood “Do you feel lucky”
    I bought a Mondial that someone else brought out of long term storage and the bill was over $10k. As I recall from seeing the invoice they did ignition pieces, belts and tensioner bearings, water pump, hoses, clutch, fluids and filters, tires, etc.
    Hope it works out for you.

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming it is not a rusty wreck, you cannot go wrong at that price. The engine alone is worth that in parts etc

6. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful members on this site that can provide you information, now and through future ownership if it works out. To be useful, however, as others have stated the question really requires additional details on the vehicle. What was the storage condition - environmentally controlled? Was it at rest on wheels and tires or blocked? Was the engine exercised? Have you considered a PPI? It sounds like you've got a great opportunity on hand. Best of luck.

7. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Well problem is all I have is pictures to go on for now. The gentleman who owned it has 2, one in red and one in black! I like how the black looks and seems to have lower miles. I have NO service records and his daughter knows nothing about the car at all. Its been siting in dry barn but no heat during the cold winters.
    Heres all the pictures I have to go on.
    Cheers Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Buy both.

Seriously.

D

davemqv likes this.
  9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Are you sure that you know what you're looking at? First you say "I always have been drawn to the 3.2 Mondial Coupe and have an opportunity to buy one with only 8k on it.". Then "What is fare price for a 1989 3.2 coupe non running?" And afterwards, when prompted, you say "Well problem is all I have is pictures to go on for now. The gentleman who owned it has 2, one in red and one in black!" And you show two photos of 3.2 Cabs.

A "89" Mondial 3.2 Coupe?

Something seem's fishy here...

10. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    You must be a private investigator or something yes there's nothing fishy I'm just totally green I'm a fan of how they look I know absolutely nothing about Ferraris
    I know nothing absolutely nothing about specific models that's why I'm reaching out to the Forum. If you're looking for something else I'm sorry it's not there. I'm an electrician and I'm in hundreds of houses a year I specialize and very high-end residential work this happens to be a very high-end residential client. That's all there is buddy sorry

11. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Is there anyone in the New York area that I could meet and help me with looking at the cars I would be happy to pay for your time

12. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    If all you’ve seen are photos (and both of those are cabs, not coupes), I’d be extremely suspicious.

In fact, I bet neither of those cars actually exist, or at least not in the possession of the seller.

I smell scam.

13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    One seems to be stored in a machine shop environment and the other seems to be stored in another place that is not consistent with the first.
    I would need the advice of others, proceed carefully.
    Mondials are great cars. They are easy to live with and robust in nature. If it’s your dream, make it happen. $10 is a very low entry point. If it’s all there and it’s in decent shape, I’d roll the dice.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davemqv likes this.
  14. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Thank you for your caution but there is nothing suspicious I'm actually know the family and they're very nice people. Their father passed away and owns over 7 Estates.
    The siblings are diligently trying to organize and sell his possessions it seems like the Ferraris are the least of their concerns. They know I'm a working-class stiff and an offering me the car because they know I am a fan of Ferraris. Back to the topic please everyone I'm just very green and looking at the cars on Sunday I'm just wondering what I should look for any positive input would be helpful thank you all and have a wonderful day

ronfrohock likes this.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Based on what you're telling us Post #8 give you everything you need to know. As of now, the community here can only ask questions based on what you're unable to tell us.

Btw, what does being a "fan of Ferraris" mean to you? My definition is probably different.

16. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Yes I have five vowels in my last name and my family is from Naples!!
    My father owned and drove Ferraris as a Young Man so it's in his blood in mine as well.

17. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    Where in NY are the cars located?

18. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Upstate Hudson valley area

19. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    That's not strange. I have one... ;) Well, at least first registration 1989 and therefore referred to as '1989'
    Actual built in August 1988 (yes, the month our great Enzo died... )

As for the story of the O.P., At that price i would buy the car immediately. No doubt.
    If all is legit.

20. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I'm in Rockland county, so it's doable for me to come and take a look. I might also be interested in one if you're not looking to purchase both. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment :)

21. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hey Mike. Welcome and good luck with the car(s). As others have pointed out, these are 3.2 Cabs and not Coupes. None-the-less, cool cars. It looks like they could use a lot of recommissioning work after sitting for so long. However, this forum is a great resource for working on the cars yourself. Good thing you're an electrician - those skills will come in handy with these cars. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what is the car next to the red cabrio in the picture? It looks interesting...

2cam

22. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Still unlikely... for an '89 3.2 in the U.S. that's been sitting for 10 years. ;)

Dino2400 likes this.
  23. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    You think it's time for popcorn? ;)

24. Woodstocksparky

Jun 20, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike Mainieri
    Thank you for the positive support. So I just have the pictures to go on until Sunday! I was told they were over 12 cars there, most of them sold to other friends but no ones interested in the 3.2's There is even some saabs and austin healeys as well.

paulchua likes this.
  25. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Good luck on Sunday! I'd love to squeeze an old Bugeye into the garage in front of my Mondial. ;)

Be sure to take lots of pictures of the Mondials that you can share with the forum members. We may be able to see items that you should pay attention to.

2cam

paulchua likes this.