Fly to Narita if you like to taxi: | FerrariChat

Fly to Narita if you like to taxi:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Jun 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just watched this recent flight-deck video of an Air France 777 landing on Tokyo-Narita's runway 34R. The video is quite straightforward except for the length of the taxi to the gate, which is upwards of 23 minutes! (The videographer took pity on his viewers by speeding up the presentation to compress the last 10 minutes into 1.)

I remember some long taxis at JFK, and it can even get a bit lengthy here at ATL if one lands on runway 10-28, but 23 minutes is crazy! Maybe LouB747 can confirm if that is typical at Narita.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Try Dallas sometime. My wife and I had a plane change there on a trip home and after landing we taxied for over one mile. From one end of the airport to the other and then around in what felt like a spider web of taxiways.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had similar at Paris-CDG. Like taking a tour bus of the entire airport.

4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    FRANKFURT!!!!!! UGH!

Lots of times you have to deplane and take a bus to the terminals. You are standing in these over crowded buses and it takes 30 minutes or more to get to the terminal.

I personally cannot stand Narita but CDG is the worst airport in the world.

5. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Leaving ORD after a weather delay, we were in midst of a 45 minute taxi and the pilot finally came on and assured us that no, he wasn't lost and told us we had just explored the entire perimeter of the airport.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #6 Bob Parks, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Sounds like they still have some de Gaulle Stones left over from the war. Apologies to our French pals here, just something left over from the politicians and military during the war. I guess that CDG was very difficult to get along with at times.

7. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I've had some taxi times at DFW that seemed longer than the flight coming in. Come in at rush hour from Midland or Houston on a Friday afternoon and you'll taxi forever especially if you land on the far west side and need to be at terminal A or C on the east.

8. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    I don't recall Narita time taxiing being particularly egregious but recently flew through the brand new Istanbul airport and THAT is a nightmare of taxiing, busing, walking to customer, then walking ALLLL the way back to get on your connecting flight. Employees were apologizing for what a mess it is... lots of shiny shopping and eating choices though :rolleyes:

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Land at the north complex at LAX sometime and try to taxi to general aviation. I've had 45 minute taxi times there. However, land on the south complex (which is what you usually do) and taxi time is 5 minutes, at most, so it all depends.

Also, try to depart from JFK at peak time... in line pulling off the ramp.

10. bbs911

bbs911 Formula Junior

May 31, 2007
    Dallas
    Flew in from Little Rock this afternoon to DFW. Landed on 17L on the far east side of the airport and had to taxi to Terminal B on the west side. 38 minute flight, then 20 minutes to get off the plane.

11. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    I've been to Narita many times, I don't recall ever having a problem. I think I would always want plenty of time when going to CDG though.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    After CDG and JFK, Narita is my least favorite airport.

But CDG is by far the worst in the world for a 1st world economy.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Two runways. They are parallel but not lined up, the runway on the north side of the airport is the shorter of the two. Also it is not lined up with the south runway. In other words the beginning of the north runway is about at the end of the south runway. Because of the local farmers the airport is not optimal because Japan doesn't have eminent domain. It would be nice to have a taxiway that would connect both sides of the airport on both the north and south end but there is no taxiway at the north end of the airport. So if you are landing on runway 34r but you need to go to your gate on the other side of the airport you have to go all the way back to the south end of the airport to cross sides. Also since planes can only cross at the south end there can be some traffic jams at times. I hope my description helps.