Bad Cat ECU on 135171 | FerrariChat

Bad Cat ECU on 135171

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My 575M gave me a couple of intermittent slow down lights recently. Guessing it was a cat ECU, I ordered two Maserati cat ECUs with the same part number as the Ferrari part, but at substantial savings. Except for the box.

My techs Aaron and John at La Scuderia here in Albuquerque ran an Auto Enginuity scan on her, and, sure enough, one of the cat ECUs was on the way out and had left codes. Preemptively, we swapped out both ECUs while she was in for her annual service. Aaron says the right one is a pain to replace, requiring the removal of the battery and a few other pieces to reach. Runs like a champ now.

Next service, though, the helicoil for the sump is shot, so that piece will have to be replaced next service. Also, the tiniest of leaks has started at the front of the AC compressor, so they will rebuild that next time she is in. There is a new, improved front seal for the spot that is leaking, and that should cure that problem.

She will be 16 years old in November, so have to expect some maintenance. None of these faults have affected reliability. The slow down lamps (twice) disappeared if she was shut down and restarted. Twice is too many times, though, so we fixed her.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aaron says it is actually the fitting/cover on the dry sump tank that will have to be replaced. Good deal since the sump cover is over $2K and all the parts for the tank fitting are in the low $hundreds.

3. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    How many miles on her now Terry ?

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm confused Terry, do you mean the fitting at the bottom of the dry sump tank? Is Aaron familiar with "Timeserts"?
    https://www.timesert.com/

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Probably, but in this case just as easy to swap the parts and start anew. Would definitely have been a player for the sump cover.