488 - Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT | FerrariChat

488 Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Nice shout out for the Scud!

Shark01 likes this.
  3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Chris loves the 600LT no doubt

4. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Chris Harris is the biggest mclaren shill

5. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    Yes the guy who said that the Senna was crap and useless and then made fun of the fact that Speedtails keep catching on fire on his podcast is the biggest McLaren shill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    that was a great conversation to listen in on! interesting that he doesn't like sound of either pista or speciale.
    who was the other guy? is this the new topgear?

Ivinsea likes this.
  7. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man
  8. Tsachi458

Tsachi458 Karting

Dec 7, 2017
    Full Name:
    Tsachi man

Attached Files:

Vertix likes this.
  9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    CH loved the 488 exhaust note and said it was better than the 458.
    So the Pista should be better yet to him.

Shaking my head. On this I have never agreed with CH.

tekaefixe likes this.
  11. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    As a prior Scud owner I can't disagree with his final choice.
    Great car...sorry I sold it.

Shark01, TopspeedPT and redcaruser like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For me it’d be Pista all day long. I found 600 a great car on track - way better than 570 and definitely sharper steering over 488 - but i just couldn’t deal with the laggy engine and bland engine note....very agricultural in comparison to the Ferrari.
    Put pista or gtb engine in 600 and it becomes harder to knock as a performance package but then you have the looks, and in comparison to Pistas looks it is game over 600.

Lukeylikey and Shack like this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We all have those things where we struggle subconsciously to be really objective. I think Ferrari is one of Chris’s. He is constantly forced to acknowledge that the Pista is excellent in so many areas...”don’t get me wrong, it’s great at ‘x’ but...”. Chris’s objection to the Pista, in this piece and his test of the car previously, seems to be that it’s brilliant but too fast to use, yet he never said that about the similarly paced 720.

He had an argument with Ferrari a few years ago and maybe that has left a subtle imprint on him. That was in the 458/Speciale era. He was then back in the fold and gave the 488 GTB a very warm review (was that relief at settling an argument with one of the brands that was key to his work as an automotive journalist?), but the spider and other Ferraris subsequently he has had a coldness to his thoughts about the brand. Personally I don’t have any issue with that, I feel exactly the same way with McLaren. I can’t really explain why, particularly as a previous satisfied owner. I‘ve driven a number of them and acknowledge their excellence but they just leave me cold. Is that an objective view? Of course not, but to me and many others it’s a valid one, just like Chris Harris’s reverse view.

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Liked how it was a more informal conversation picking Harris' brain. Cautiously optimistic about the new Top Gear season although Im glad Matt LeBlanc is coming back the following season.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Chris Harris is intentionally controversial, that is the character he tries to sell to his audience; a slightly milder Clarkson if you may (pun intended :p ). Never liked him.

cloverleaf likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Each super car has its own personality, unique driving dynamics and distinctive aesthetics . Ultimately , the car of choice will be predicated upon subjective preferences and priorities. Harris favours the 600 LT because it comports more fully to his wants and needs. Why impute devious or nefarious motives to his selection?

Angry Pinchy, Gh21631, Nel1 and 4 others like this.
  17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #17 Shadowfax, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Harris talks about the engine from 2.30 on.

Indicates it isn't very inspiring as an engine and can leave the car displaced in the corner. But different day different review all of a sudden the engine isn't a problem. Right :rolleyes:. And then Pista's 700hp is too much. Ok got it :rolleyes:. I think I will prefer to have the 700hp rather than not have it.

Ash Patel and Igor Ound like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada

19. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    The backstory at the beginning is the most interesting part for me, what effort Ferrari made for the test, and non effort at all for the Gt2Rs wich was driven with the very same tyre to, on and from the track. Those small details are in fact major ones, and do explain a lot, how a track time was made on that day

20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Disqualifying issue for me is turbo lag. One of my pet peeves. While the 570S is a highly capable car, the driving excitement did not meet my requirements. While the 600LT elevates the thrill factor, turbo lag is still annoyingly evident.

21. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    He LOVED the 812 Superfast

22. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    i dont get it with this lag problem.
    Drove yesterday back to back the gt2 Rs and 675lt on the track. For both car as long you stay in there powerbands there is no lag at all. If i drive my Gt3Rs or my former f12 below certain powerband, nothing gonna happen neither.

Gh21631, Randyslovis, Shark01 and 4 others like this.
  23. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    People have different preferences and make different choices. To impune someone who's choice is different than your own is inappropriate. I am a long time Ferrari owner and new McLaren owner. Both have their pluses and minuses. I drove a 600LT and felt that the turbo lag was not too bad. Certainly far less than in the 675LT. Pista is I am sure quite the car but at a very eyewatering price and with performance most of us will not use. The 600LT felt light, tossable and had fantastic steering with enough power to satisy anyone who was driving the car on the street.
    Ferrari devotees should not dismiss other choices because it does not wear the horse.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #24 Shadowfax, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Can't answer for 675 but 600 is as laggy as crap....just like the 570. You don't get that lag issue with Gt2rs 488 or Pista....just power on tap over the entire power band ...not just the last 2000 revs. Funny how even CH says its really laggy too hah!

But agree would have liked to have heard more about CH's 2rs story and how it came and went from the track..... and what time it put down etc etc.

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    McLarens are ugly. Case closed.