Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 61 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No doubt the B pillar treatment is smoother on a LaF but we’re talking about a €1m+ low production car against a full production vehicle which is more capable at a third of the price. The SF90 remains a car that is genuinely a first in the sector and represents a beautiful product that others will have to catch up with. Wondering why there is little talk of Mac, Porsche and Lamborghini in relation to this car? It’s because they don’t sell anything to talk about yet.

And other than the basic mid-engined supercar proportions, the SF90 is actually quite different to the F8 platform. A lot lower and longer and much more squat than a 458/488/F8. It’s too easy a criticism to say it’s a more expensive F8, given the general constraints of the layout it is very different.

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't see the argument as valid. There is nothing expensive about the B pillar production. 458 has better treatment as well and it was 50% the price of this. It isn't as smooth simply because they didn't make it as smooth for some reason. Merely a (poor) design choice, IMO.

Not sure why you bring up the competition with respect to a design related comment. It doesn't even make sense to talk about "catching up." Car companies don't sync their product launches, thus every manufacturer has the hot new thing before everyone else at some point in time.

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    This is not just a ‘hot new thing’ such as 720 or Pista, which are new versions of a familiar theme. This is a whole new genre, the super-power, production, PHEV hybrid supercar. Even though I raised that point in a reply to your design point, I was just being lazy in not doing a separate reply since my point was really to do with the general conversation.

In regards to your design point, the LaF design treatment is clearly possible because the car is not a series production car which needs different tooling and production techniques. It does make a difference. The SF90 B post v the 458 is a separate question that you didn’t raise before. In this case the 458’s treatment may be preferable to some but the 458 still has much less drama than the LaF being a series production car with all the limitations that brings.

I love the SF90 and don’t think its rear three-quarter area is in any way deficient, although I do agree that the 458 is exquisite in this particular area - much nicer than the 488 or F8 for example. In other areas those two cars have their day, such as the front of the F8 being better than the ‘whiskers’ look of the 458 to my eyes. But agreed, the 458 is beautiful at the rear three-quarter. In fact, I would say that area of the car is some of PF’s best design work for Ferrari’s more recent models. Interesting to note that wasn’t their first idea though. They initially proposed a solution more like the 430 but Luca di Montezemolo wanted to get rid of the side vents and forced them back to the drawing board.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  4. ZorroPlateado

ZorroPlateado Rookie

Jul 29, 2013
    UK
    The figures quoted are Max bhp. We may get the full beans from the electric motors in certain circumstances, like hauling you out of a slow corner if you failed to change down into the right gear in order to keep the revs up to max power from the ICE. It could make the car’s performance more consistent for rubbish drivers like me. I cannot wait to try it. The newest Ferrari is normally a step forward in performance.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. emiliojose47

emiliojose47 Rookie

Nov 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Emilio José Rodríguez Villar
    not registration tax for this car? in Spain you pay 21% VAT plus 16% registration tax in most of vehicles (not electric)

6. perrinnation

perrinnation Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    I dunno. Battista looks kind....’blah’ next to Stradale. SF90 being more aggressive. Having more machismo in it’s lines. And the Stradale looks more like Ferrari than the Battista to me.

Battista is indeed pretty. It looks like Stradale’s pretty little sister.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    EXACTLY!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, then to be fair the NSX has been out for years and it's a hybrid turbo exotic. It doesn't have 1000 hp, but I'm guessing that's somewhat of a trivial task. It was simply designed for a different price/performance segment, but the general architecture is still there and it's only like $160K.

I still think it was just a bad choice (and this is merely my taste) with the rear design. I don't see any indication that the shape would be unworkable in aluminum on a "mere" $500K car. The combination of the buttress, the flat deck, and the window sizing makes it look how it does. They could have done a better job. It's just my opinion though.

Ohanoune likes this.
  9. Silberpfeil

Silberpfeil Karting

Jan 2, 2016
    Lucerne, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc Brunner
    In Switzerland official price is CHF 490000 incl 7.7 % VAT without options. Which is 440 k EUR.

Gesendet von iPad mit FerrariChat

Shack and of2worlds like this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What is the deal with that silly fin on top?

11. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    True. I asked them if there will be some currency support as the car is almost 10% more expensive than EU on a net basis. They said it is not certain yet. Given that the car is billed to Swiss dealers in EUR I am asking if I can do the contract in EUR and run the currency risk myself

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

j09333, Gh21631 and of2worlds like this.
  12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    It is a targeting laser for guided missiles.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  13. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    355TDI, kandi and of2worlds like this.
  14. perrinnation

Nov 24, 2012
    The Detroit area
    Full Name:
    David
    kandi and of2worlds like this.
  15. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
  16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Probably Sat/Nav antenna

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But why? Seems like overkill.

And can you delete it is you don't want Sat Nav. Who wants this today in the age of Spotify and Waze?

JimPVB likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Forgot SIRIUS/XM as well.
    Like everything else on the car, it’s there for a reason. No one has told us yet why.;)

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. Data

Data Karting

Dec 11, 2007
    Black roof completely ruins it, as it often is the case. Single body color is the way to go IMO.