Member Big Green Egg Thread! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Member Big Green Egg Thread!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    They were really good.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I saw Mark on a Facebook post about Big Green Eggs, so here is this on Youtube.

4. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Live video and didn't show any up close clips of the meat?

5. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Well I finally got an Egg. Gift from the boys for Fathers Day. Large size.
    What should I try to tackle first?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Do you want to smoke or grill your first time?

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Steak! Always, steak for the first cook!
    T

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Smoke

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Sonoma

Sonoma Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Wine Country
    Depending on how much time you want to invest, I’d recommend either a bone-in pork shoulder (~10-11 hrs of cook time) or, if you like more instant gratification, try ribs (~ 5 hours of cook time). Not sure how your BGE will react, but mine really likes to settle in at about 280 deg F on the dial, which translates to about 240 at the grill level with the top vent open just a little and the bottom vent open maybe 1/8 - 1/4”. Everything I smoke, I end up using this setting because it seems to work well. Make sure you use the place-setter - I think they’ve changed the name of this now to the convEGGtor or something like that, but it is a ceramic plate with standoffs for the grill grate that blocks the direct heat from the fire. Generally, after the first hour or so, once the temp settles in, you don’t have to do much with the BGE as it maintains the temps really well. I find that after about 5 hours of cooking, the temp drops, and I need to make a one-time adjustment of the vents to open them a little more. Have fun, and let us know what you end up doing.

ronfrohock likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Agree. Ribs with the 3-2-1 method is a good way to start your adventures in smoked meat.

Don't overlook fish, trout and salmon are my favorites, are my favorites, which can typically be hot smoked in not much time.

Eventually, though, you will want to work your way up to brisket!

T

ronfrohock likes this.
  11. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    tomc likes this.
  12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    So I ended up doing some ribs and a flat brisket.
    Both were good, not outstanding, just good.
    I have a lot to learn but I’m already a big fan. I used the 3-2-1 method.
    I went a little nuts and bought a bunch of eggcessories.
    I’m going to try to smoke a turkey this weekend. Any recommendations? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brisket and 321 ribs, jumping in the deep end & dipping your toe in the pool simultaneously!

How did brisket turn out? Flat can be dry if over done. If you can find it, the point is a little more forgiving IMO as it has higher fat content.

What wood did you use for the smoke? It takes a bit of experimenting to find the right type of wood and amount of smoke you like. I tend to stick with oak and pecan, as the latter is free from the trees on our property and the former I can glean from our neighbors. Can't go too heavy though as it'll start to taste off, like creosote.

As for smoking turkey, #1 piece of advice I can give you is to brine it. It's a hassle but so worth it. I find pecan goes good with poultry as do fruit woods like apple, nectarine, etc. If you wanna bust your hump less, cheat and find one of those frozen turkey breasts, as they're already been injected with salt solution. One less thing to worry about so that you can focus on perfecting your smoke. Or, smoke some turkey legs. That's good eating. And fun too!

T

ronfrohock likes this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    chicken or turkey the next thing I want to learn. I feel my ribs, brisket, and steaks about good as I can get them. On the BGE Facebook page everyone is about reverse grilling the steaks though. I like my steaks raw, so seems unnecessary, but they say it is better for raw steaks too.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rob...You ever try a Pittsburgh style or black & blue steak. Rare on the inside, charred on the outside?

I have gotten a cast iron griddle to almost 1000 F on my BGE with the vents fully open, so could be worth a try if you like your steaks very rare but with a bit of flavor...T

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, that's how I like it, get the BGE up to 600-800 on the factory temp.

17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I pulled the Brisket flat before it was done. It should have stayed in for longer but the temp wasn’t going up and I panicked. Now I understand that it was a stall. And I used oak.
    It was good, not great. I enjoyed the process though and I’m committed to mastering the Egg.

The ribs turned out better but again, not great.

Brining the turkey seems to be a good idea, I’ll google the process and make it happen. Thanks

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ah, yes, the stall! Freaked me out the first time I made a brisket. Good rule of thumb is 1 hour per lb of brisket in the usual low and slow temp range of 225 F.

Once you have a system you like for brisket, try a high temp cook. Places like Kreuz swear by it, and having eaten their brisket, I can vouch for the results. Smoke in the 325 F range. You'll need to do a packer, point and flat, though, given the danger of drying out a flat.

For a brine, salt, sugar and any spices you like. The biggest PITA is finding a bucket big enough for a turkey and enough room in the fridge to hold the bucket.

Have fun with your Egg!

T

ronfrohock likes this.
  19. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Williams Sonoma has a large brining bag that works great and is easier to fit in the fridge

tomc likes this.
  20. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I purchased one on Amazon last night. It will be here today and the brining will commence. Thanks for your help!

I.T. Guy likes this.
  21. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've done turkeys on the weber, BGE, and stump's smoker....nothing beats the rotisserie attachment on my weber. I have a weber set up just for poultry :)

But if you must on the BGE, I've found it takes more time and more temp than you expect. I've had best result at 300 to 325 to cook and then up to 400 plus to finish and get the skin the way I want it. It has always ended up not as even as I want it because I think the turkey takes up so much room in the egg and you do want a pan underneath with veggies for the gravy (if thanksgiving). This is using the plate setter/deflector of course.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Excellent points. Unless you have the largest of the Eggs, may want to shop for a smaller turkey for your first smoke.

+1 on a rotisserie. I have a dedicated 22.5" Weber for roto cooking. No better way to do poultry. Have done chickens, ducks and a small turkey on it. Fabulous. Crispy skin to the max. Also one of the best ways to do standing rib roast. Finally, Google "rotisserie pineapple". Best dessert ever with vanilla ice cream!
    T

23. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    TexasF355F1, arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  24. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It worked!

5lbs

250F (couldn’t go lower, I lit more then one place next time will light only center)

8am to 177F (missed 160) foil to 190, pull off and rest for an hour and a bit in towels. Cook was 8-3:30 rest to 5

Oh baby.

Ribs were pulled when I could bend them easily 90 degrees. Last hour had sauce on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks great. If you have an old cooler, that's a good place to rest Q, especially if you need to keep it warm for a longer while.

Next time, make or buy good slaw. Ditto for BBQ sauce. Then slap the cool slaw on top of the warm Q. Squirt the sauce on. Then, thank me for what will be the best thing you have ever eaten!

T