Stock Becker External Amp Possible? | FerrariChat

Stock Becker External Amp Possible?

Discussion in '360/430' started by rwk360, Jun 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    I have a 2001 360M, with what I believe to be the original radio, probably Becker model BE4372 (with cassette player, and with factory CD changer, but no factory external amp or woofer). I can't find anything online or in the manual that tells me whether an external amp could be attached, which I'd like to do (vs a new head unit). I kind of doubt this, and though I haven't pulled the radio out to look, and diagrams I've seen show no pre-amp out jack or similar. Maybe could be done with internal surgery by a Becker repair facility? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Scuderia Audio.

Have a Sub, Amp, and Speakers Option.

I use their whole kit, and I have a BlueTooth Adapter, so looks OEM, but sounds great.

3. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    So you are using the factory radio, with one of Mike's recommended amps? Dopes this mean there is a pre-amp out on that radio? I've been in touch with Mike at SA, and will likely use some combination of the gear he sells. As implied from my post, I'm on the fence regarding keeping the original radio and using one of his recommended amps (if possible), vs upgrading to a modern head unit/amp, and losing the CD changer, since most modern head units do not support the latter.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
  5. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Most OEM head units have high level (or speaker level) outputs. Most aftermarket head units have low level (or line level) outputs. Many aftermarket amplifiers these days feature both low and high level inputs. If you have such an amplifier, you can hook it up to your OEM head unit with no issues. Later on, if you decide to swap out the OEM head unit with an aftermarket one, you simply flip a switch on the amp and you're good to go.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    What are you trying to accomplish?

FYI, OE Becker head unit audio output is pure crap. So even if you put an after market amplifier for better sound your stereo system will still not sound good.
    The Becker head unit is crap, speakers are crap and stock subwoofers are also crap.

The only way to improve the stock stereo system is to upgrade everything - Head Unit, Speakers, Install after market amplifiers, then add a subwoofer.
    I have a DIY post here on replacing stock stereo system and adding a subwoofer.

Mike from Scuderia Audio has excellent products & great customer service.

Dan

7. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Yes, I reckon there must be
    I'm using the stock Becker Radio, and then I'm using Mike's Recommended Amp, Focal Speaker,s and his Subwoofers. Audio sounds great in my car.

I also have an A2D-BKR Bluetooth Module that I use. I wanted to keep the OEM Headunit so that it looked as "OEM" as possible, as I find 99% of the aftermarket radios to look really...aftermarket IMO.

I would've gladly upgraded my headunit, had there been one that looks more "in-place", then I wouldn't have had to use the A2D-BKR Bluetooth Module, and could just straight BT it.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Becker Autosound in NJ can also retrofit Bluetooth (one way). They did it in my unit. They also sell it as an add on module. But you should be able to use just about any amp you want since this head unit does not produce a digital output.

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I understand most people dont want to upgrade their head unit to a better sounding deck with latest technology such as Bluetooth, iPhone / Android integration, etc. because there is simply none or not very many head units out there that offers an uncluttered/uncomplicated look on its face plate so that it wont stand out and idea is to blend in with our dashboard. Even my Alpine deck Im not very happy with its faceplate design. Too complicated and too cluttered.

I found this newly released Pioneer deck today with a simple faceplate design plus a built in phone cradle and takes advantage of latest technology even future optional parking sensors. Its very inexpensive so I may try this one soon. Just thought I'd share.

Note: I have no affiliation to any of the businesses / Merchants below.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SPH10BT/Pioneer-SPH-10BT.html?tp=5684

https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/sph-10bt

Dan

10. becausephilchow

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    You could also go the route of the "OEM" Upgrade. It's not too expensive, you can get the non-Ferrari Branded one for much cheaper I believe.

I wnat to say it's a Kenwood.