Can't get glass clean | FerrariChat

Can't get glass clean

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by BLACK CARS, Jun 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    This may seem like a strange question but have both '17 488GTB and '19 Portofino. No matter what I try, I can't get the glass "squeaky" clean. Any suggestions?

2. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
  3. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I've found that all sorts of petroleum based products can end up on the windshield.
    Mixing rubbing alcohol (cheap, CVS type) with water (3/1 ratio) and scrubbing several times with a microfiber (I prefer waffle weave) is a great start. If you have a white film left after the first pass I was correct in the diagnosis. And only use a glass cleaner, not something with a drop or rain repellent.... You're probably not driving in the rain anyway and there are a number of good ones.

4. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

You could try clay baring the outer windshield, this will remove imbedded debris. Better yet would be to use a glass polish followed by a sealant. This is a lengthy video on that process, the results make the glass virtually disappear.

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Get an automotive window cleaner that has a bit of acetone in it’s ingredient list. Typically in some of the clear liquid in squirt bottles. Eagle had one. Another was called Clear View. The acetone removes mineral and petroleum deposits.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Call me nuts but with all the great products out there I still use water maybe some soapy water and a piece of newspaper. There is something in newsprint that leaves behind streak free clean glass.

7. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    To the OP, is your username based on the great Gino Vannelli song? Check it out—from 1984....!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I like to use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Really works great for me.

9. Randy P.

Randy P. Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Randy P.
    The best window cleaner I have ever used is called ZEP 40. I don't know what it has in it but it works phenomenal. Might want to give it a try. Best of luck.

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I live on a well with a lot of mineral deposits. For my glass, a little hand sanitizer (it's the alcohol) on a microfiber cloth. Works great on bathroom shower glass, too.

Sprayway glass cleaner works a close second.

11. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You might want to try a Glass Polish. Someties spray-on cleaners are not good enough any more. I use Griot’s glass polish cream and a hand pad. It makes glass very clean. Then, the best (and, cheapest product) for glass is Sprayway glass polish. It’s cheap, works great and it’s available at Home Depot. Ferrari dealers also use this stiuff as well. When cleaning glass on the inside wipe up and outside wipe left to right ... this way you’ll know where the streaks are.

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

As others have noted, newsprint works a treat. I use either Sprayaway (from Target) or Stoner's (online) + newsprint and the results are exceptional. Safe on tinted windows too --- in my experience.

13. JL350

JL350 Karting

Jan 20, 2013
    For the inside, the organic vapours from the plastic fouls the inside of the glass. I use microfibre cloths and your favourite window cleaner to remove the oily film, a proper window microfibre cloth is used for the final clean. The last clean uses minimal window cleaner and the cloth to dry the glass.

For the outside where water spots can be an issue, a synthetic clay bar and lots of lubricant can really help get the outside clean. To use properly you must wash the window to remove any coarse contaminants else the ‘clay’ bar will get contaminated and could scratch the window. After normal washing of the whole car I use autoglym aqua wax on everything.

14. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Use a moistened Magic Eraser and clean the glass, then a new waffle style microfiber cloth with any good window cleaner - simple and leaves a perfectly clear finish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    SprayWay aerosol can and paper towels.