Pista vs Speciale vs Scud vs CS | FerrariChat

Pista vs Speciale vs Scud vs CS

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Euroryno, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    For their relevant era, in your opinion which VS V8 has garnered more acclaim?

My pick is Speciale. EVO Magazine COTY 2014 with the first unanimous victory ever. It’s still quoted frequently 5 years on as a benchmark / yardstick. Last V8 Ferrari of an era being N/A etc. It took the already iconic 458 and made it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Speciale is my favorite, to me it's the perfect blend of modern electronics but old school thrills. It's also my favorite looking of the 4.

3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Calling for CS owners to explain why the CS is the best (without any possible discussion), Scud owners to argue why the Scud is the best (without any possible challenge), and Speciale owners to explain why the Speciale is the best (without any possible argument).
    My independent view (since I do not own any of these) is that the latest is the more accomplished, and for the same reason I'd probably choose a Pista over a Speciale (which does not change my feeling that the Pista is overpriced).

4. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    It would be interesting to see reviews of the Scuderia and Stradale if they both had the Scuds’s Superfast Gearbox or even if they were 3 pedal cars. My impression is that the early generation F1 in the Stradale diminishes from it’s appeal.

5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I have had two of them so far - CS and Speciale, Pista coming. To compare these cars you have to look beyond technology and modernity and try and compare their character, which transcends technology. The CS is the rawest of all of them, and the best sounding. I test drove mine and after 20 seconds I knew it was bought. It has tremendous personality and character and looks beautiful. It makes a super-strong case for itself. I prefer the Speciale though. It’s personality is a little different. It has much more playful and rewarding handling (too little rear toe on 360s made them less friendly on the limit) and sharper throttle response. Though it is not as raw, it is sharper and gives that “this car is an extension of my thoughts” feeling much more. And it is even prettier.

I know people who owned a Scud and they loved it. I never drove one but it is the least aesthetically appealing to me. As for its character I can’t say. I also think the Pista will be wonderful and for a time will be the newest (and will maybe always be the fastest non-hybrid, if that means anything) but in terms of character, I’m not sure it will match the Speciale. I went for the spider to offer something extra to my coupe Speciale for that reason. I expect the spider to have a more boisterous personality than the coupe - not designed for outright lap time but to make a lot of noise at very high speeds while having fun in the sunshine. It has the stiffer 488 spider shell as a starting point which helps too.

6. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have owned them all.

1 year with the CS (best sound of them all but crappy transmission).

1 yr with the Scud, my least favorite.

5 years with the Speciale, great car but.....

Looks wise, the Pista wins hands down (pictures do not do it justice, trust me).

On the track the Pista wins hands down.

Guess which one I prefer?

ca_scud, tomc, Shadowfax and 4 others like this.
  7. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    Well, not an expert. The Pista is my first flagship type Ferrari. Had a 458, F12 , 488 and now Pista. Of all the cars I’ve owned Pista stands out above the rest. I received a new Ford GT last year and IMO in terms of aesthetics, it’s the best looking car out there, but the Pista drives like no other.

Camlet1 and Manda racing like this.
  8. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    At 5:15 Chris Harris gives his opinions on these 4 cars.

Mighty Joe and RayJohns like this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Your Pista doesn't come until Dec you said...have you tracked Pista? If so what track and thoughts?

Your HP looks pretty damn good if you ask me.

dmark1 likes this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Speciale.
    History will prove this...

Clay512TR likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m usually a fan of the newer models so I choose Pista - especially as I have one incoming.

However - I do think the Speciale will be the long term (30 years from now) collectible.

willcrook and IPO1 like this.
  12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yes I tracked it for over 30 laps with a Ferrari factory test driver at Monticello during Corsa Pilota last week. It’s incredible and night and day better than the Speciale (which I Loved).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc, Shadowfax, mikesufka and 8 others like this.
  13. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    in order of acclaim i'd probably say
    Speciale
    cs
    scud
    then pista last

I don't think the pista will be remembered in the same light as the others tbh

Clay512TR likes this.
  14. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    DAMN--SWEET!

15. ItalianOne

ItalianOne Formula Junior

May 21, 2008
    Mich
    Full Name:
    Kevin R
    Chris Harris review is so laughable his head is and has been up McLarens rear end. Has to much power for the road? Did not like the steering? Lol. In the end the pista will be the car to own and have before these move to a hybrid power plants. I would like to have any of the cars in my garage except the 360 version...

rp456 likes this.
  16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Trust me the CS (the 360 version) is definitely one to have. I view it second to the Pista

17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Because you have no experience with them.

18. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    pardon?

19. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Apologies for incomplete post:

Because you do not have experience with ALL of them . If you did you wouldn’t have this opinion.

20. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    it depends on how you're interpreting the posters question and more specifically 'acclaim', in terms of owners views there is such an overwhelmingly positive experience for all of these cars so I'd be trying to order them in terms of a more publicly broader view of them.

the 360cs/430 scud/ and 458 spec are all cemented into ferrari history, each having a different personality but all of them being raw and simply fun. I still can't believe how loud the cs was from the factory!

having not driven a pista I can't say from a personal perspective but I do wonder whether it's just surrounded by too many great cars of its time (gt2rs, perf, svj, 720s), perhaps watered down slightly by the F8 and on a platform of the 488 - which some natural aspirated enthusiasts look down upon, to be held in the relative esteem that the previous SS cars have gathered over the years. I'm sure it's a great car either way, there's no doubting it's capability and if/when I drive one I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

perhaps I'm getting older and slightly bitter towards ferrari these days and myself being nostalgic.

either way time will tell and what's certain is that as the electrification of cars continues the more fondly generations brought up on petrol will look back at fossil fuel sports cars.

Clay512TR likes this.
  21. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    hey-- there has to be something said for the factory stock Fcars that earns the Meat ball flag at the flag station at the top of the Corkscrew. :)

22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The performance of the Pista will speak for itself. It will be just fine.

23. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    Wow Fantastic !!!!!!

MDS

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're trying to compare star athletes from different eras. It's next to impossible, and these discussions are often about trying to prove one's own opinion about which is best.

The short answer is they are all the best of their eras.

I would point out a similarity between the Speciale and Pista: initial launch reviews of both said the car isn't that much of a step above the standard model. If you don't believe me, just go back and look at the videos and print reviews. Now the Speciale is very highly regarded as a big step over the Italia. When they are making V6 hybrid models that weigh 300+ lbs over a car like the Pista, lets come back and I think we will see a similar high amount of acclaim thrown to the Pista: its the end of an era, they just don't make them like that any more... and so it goes...

junc, tomc and C50 like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Due to the evolutionary trend of super cars being more technically capable with the concommitant elevation of creature comforts and driving dynamics that are refined, compliant and comforatble, my biggest concern is that the upcoming generation of hybrid exotics will be characterized with a continued pursuit in the same direction. My preferences and subjective priorities still favor exciting , thrilling and rawer driving personalities. Perhaps these new and "improved" vehicles will ultimately misalign with my predilections.

C50 likes this.