488 - Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep a few things are an open and shut case. Laggy with stuff usually falling off or coming loose when its pushed and the looks not every-ones cup of tea.

technom3 likes this.
  2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Legend has it Chris Harris was denied a Pista allocation.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because it seems that Harris has a pro-McLaren agenda. That said, I didn't like his style-judgement even before the "new" McLaren firm was launched.

Igor Ound likes this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The key phrase is "as long as you stay in there (sic) power bands."Turbo lag is only evident to a lesser or greater degree when the cars are not in their power bands.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Simple solution- Ignore him.

mkultra likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I do ignore him. I merely suggested an explanation for his comments to the fellow fchatters who were baffled by them.

7. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.

They basically did the same thing to a chap in England and he made a video as well. I think they are having some major issues right now. My opinion is, making too many models too fast. Essentially, they are the major contributor to their growing pains. Nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trip? Big gamble in my opinion. Perhaps if I had an enclosed carrier following me - lol.

Robb and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I don’t think the sense of this conversation is that CH has nefarious motives, simply that each one of us has silent prejudices and those influence what our opinions are. People like CH have a very high automotive profile but we still have to interpret their opinions and don’t treat them as fact, despite their obvious skill and wide experience.

Caeruleus11, Zlaatan, BarryK and 4 others like this.
  9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    No, EVERY manufacturer does this. Once they have your money, they don't care. Additionally, the manufacturer specifically tries to make the dealer as the liaison in issues like this, which your dealer rep won't care much about, since they don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. To dealers, the manufacturer is the hand that feeds them, not the customer.

TopspeedPT, IPO1 and Vertix like this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This may seem to be the norm but my buying experience at my Lamborghini dealer has been the most satisfying and enjoyable in the decades of car purchasing. When I bought my 580-2 I was offered a very fair trade in price for my Balboni.
    After receiving my 580, the brakes ( steel) began squeaking. Dealer advised that the factory told him that the noise would vanish within 1200 kms . After 500 kms , the squeal was even more obtrusive. Since it was November and the car was scheduled to be stored for the winter within the next couple of weeks, it was doubtful the 1200 km threshold would be met. My dealer then graciously offered to pay all expenses for my spouse and I to take a road trip to Montreal in an attempt to reach the mileage limit. In the alternative, he offered a full refund for my car and would order me a new one to be delivered the following May. I accepted his magnanimous offer and returned the car. Furthermore, he then loaned me a Performante for 4 days. Needless to say, I was so impressed by the
    car, I changed my order from the 580 to the Perf. with the same delivery date. I cannot begin to express my gratitude and satisfaction for how accommodating, professional and beyond the realm of good service my dealer was and continues to be.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Love my Lambo dealer also.

Coincid likes this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Ah ah, that’s what happens when you presell your hyper-cars without showing them to customers first. They come out like crap and owners put them on fire to get their money back. Ah ah.

13. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    To dmark1, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In my eye, many of the recent Ferrari offerings have not been attractive e.g. Lusso, 812, 488 and the new Stradale.
    In my opinion, Ferrari design has been lacking since bringing design in house.

Shark01 and IPO1 like this.
  14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but butt ugly is universal!

15. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Shhhhh....the F8 buyers may hear you :p

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The talk about less lag when outside the powerband is a bit of a paper tiger as there is always lower acceleration outside of the powerband as that's why its called a powerband. Lagginess outside the powerband or coming off/on is the complaint. NA engines, especially the aforementioned Ferrari V12, always feel more connected to the pedal. Turbo's have to build exhaust velocity to get power as a result of their diminutive size and slight compression. :)

Caeruleus11 and nmcclure like this.
  17. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yep, truly in the eye of the beholder. In my eye the McLaren looks like a crushed tuna can with scissor doors.

technom3, Ash Patel and Igor Ound like this.
  18. min3040

min3040 Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris Hong
    I Sold my 600lt after 500 miles. She never put smile on my face. There are many reason why I didn’t like 600lt for instance Turbo lag, quality control, exhaust drone, terrible side view A pillar blocks the side viewing angle, and no soul. I will take my old 488 over 600lt all day long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stavura, Shadowfax and Igor Ound like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #44 Shadowfax, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    No matter which way you want to try and defend the indefensible (lag) - which you would know straight away is indefensible if you've ever tracked this car - is that the car really is as laggy as hell in comparison to any other Ferrari or Porsche turbo engine and no amount of excuses is going to change that fact. Heck even Harris Maclarens biggest fan admits it. The lag is sooo obvious and annoying - like an old wrx of yesteryear.... the power is all or nothing. There is no linearity whatsoever. For some to even suggest the power delivery/lag is similar to a Gt3rs is simply laughable.

If you have never driven a 488 or Porsche 991 turbo, Gt2 or any base 991 turbo or otherwise, you will get behind the wheel of a 600 and go wtf's going on here? For -get - it! After tracking the thing I couldn't get back into my Porsche and Ferrari quick enough!!

And fwiw the 600 brakes are rather wooden and lack feel in comparison to Porsche or Ferrari which have infinitely better feel and modulation. My best advice to any 600 owner is stay well away from driving a 488 or Porsche turbo or you will quickly realize just how far behind your 600 is in terms of engine, power deliver, noise and brake modulation. And that's forgetting the quality issues. Not sure why the inner front guards started hanging out of the thing after hot laps. Looked like they had come away from their fixings under the rigors of track work. Not a good look.

min3040 likes this.
  20. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    We are fortunate that there are many different options available to us as buyers. To disparage someone else's choice or opinion because it is not your choice or opinion is quite rude. We all love Ferraris or we would not be on this website.That being said, ALL marques have strengths and weaknesses Ferrari included.
    Some prefer blondes or red heads some brunettes.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Not here to defend McLaren, they have plenty of issues but I do commend them for putting a fire under Ferrari's butt to up their game which is good for us all.

22. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    +1 on that even though I will most probably never own one :)

23. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The turbo lag on a 911 Porsche Turbo has got to be the worst thing on the face of the earth. The 600 LT is a phenomenal effort by Mclaren and drives amazingly well. Not getting all the hate. I wouldn't take one over a Pista but its a quite capable car. Besides, they are two completely different segments of cars. one is a 250k base and the other 350k base. Just two different market segments.

therryzsx and 95spiderman like this.
  24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    and nothing this side of tesla sounds worse than porsche turbo. i would put mac and ferrari turbo sounds about equal and above porsche. nothing like gt3 or lambo sounds though

SoCal to az likes this.
  25. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Porsche Turbo sounds much worse than 488. Aftermarket exhaust mandatory.

Can't compare any turbo sound to my Huracan's NA V10 and 991 GT3.