ferrari 360 f1 not starting | FerrariChat

ferrari 360 f1 not starting

Discussion in '360/430' started by anthony serra, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    Hi all,
    I have a problem with my Ferrari 360 F1. I started it this morning and as soon as I put it into reverse the engine stopped. I had not driven the car for a couple of months prior but it was on trickle charge.
    The battery is fine (12 months old and reading 12.6 volts but the F1 Gearbox light is on the dash now which I have never seen before.
    I have checked the battery, turned the battery isolator off for 20 minutes and back on with no difference,
    There is oil in the f1 reservoir (half full). It is strange there is nothing there now at all when I turn the key it's like the engine will not even try to kick over. There are 4 beeps and the f1 pump sounds normal like its priming but that is it.
    I can change the gears from 1 neutral and reverser when the ignition is on.
    I have locked and unlocked the car with the remote and there is no change.
    Any ideas people ??
    Cheers in advance.

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You will need to get a proper diagnostics done. If you have a generic OBD scanner, you may be able to find something out. I am thinking clutch position sensor.

3. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    Thank you for your reply, I have a video with the sound it's making but I don't know how to post it on here. I could email it maybe...

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Have you tried scanning the car?

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Check your brake lights and 3rd brake light for burned out bulb or poor bulb base contact with the bulb socket.

There is safety feature on 360 and F430 that wont permit the car from moving if the brake lights are not functioning well.

Also check the engine latch switch to ensure its fully engaging when its fully closed.

Hope that helps.

Dan

6. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    Thank you Dan,
    I have tried these and things without luck. The car is making a strange noise but not sure what it is. I have filmed the motor when trying to start it and the noise is there, I just don't know how to post a video on here
    Cheers Anthony

7. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    I will get it done this week I have no scanner.
    Cheers Anthony

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Anthony.

Interesting, you've tried a lot of things and still no luck......

Kindly provide a short video of what you are hearing.
    To upload a short video - when you hit the Reply button you will see an option on the bottom right hand that says "UPLOAD A FILE". Just click on that and select the file you want to share".

If the file is too big it wont allow you so the 2nd best thing I am aware of is just upload your file in YouTube and share us a link.

Also pull fault codes. Download OBDFacile, buy an OBDII adapter from Amazon and share with us what fault codes are being thrown and we will try and help you.
    This is what I use for OBDII reader/adapter for my Android Phone and works great:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_Kh5dDb7Q9ZDJ9

Hope you sort this out soon as I know how frustrating it is to have issues.

Dan

anthony serra likes this.
  9. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    When only the Ignition is ON (but engine is OFF), can you go trough all gears or only said Reverse, Neutral and 1st?

The car wont start if the Transmission Control Unit thinks that the gearbox is in gear (or the car really is in gear and TCU cannot put it Neutral). This can be symptom from a broken sensor which shows wrong reading.

And when the Gearbox Light is on, theres error code(s) in that Transmission Control Unit. Those codes cannot be read with ordinary OBD2 -readers (BT-unit + software like Torque Pro or EOBD Facile). You need more professional scanners like Leonardo or Launch X431 pro or similar in order to read TCU codes.

whatheheck likes this.
  10. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    Hey Dan,

I greatly respect your general knowledge here in the Ferrarichat, but one cannot access to the TCU with everyday software like EOBD Facile. He said that the Gearbox Light is on meaning that there's error codes in the TCU, not at the "Check Engine department" :)

anthony serra and whatheheck like this.
  11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are absolutely correct. I missed that. Sorry for my misunderstanding.

Dan

anthony serra likes this.
  12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    General thought would say that is logical. However, I have a real world experience that contradicts this.

A few years ago, I had an issue where the car wouldn't shift (at times) and sometimes shut itself off and would not restart. A gearbox light was present.

I put a generic OBD scanner on it and the one error was 'Clutch Position Sensor'. That would obviously be a gearbox code which would be in the TCU. I replaced the Clutch Position Sensor and all was good.

whatheheck likes this.
  13. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    Hi Dan, thank you for the great ideas I truly appreciate your time and input to help resolve the issue.
    I have organised to have the car towed to a professional deal to have a look. I will post the results as soon as I
    find them out. Cheers Anthony

whatheheck likes this.
  14. anthony serra

anthony serra Rookie

Mar 8, 2015
    geelong
    Thanks for the idea,
    Cheers Anthony

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006