F8 Challenge | FerrariChat

F8 Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by gatorgreg, Jun 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I am confused. What happens next with the challenge cars? Does challenge continue with the 488 for another 4 years or a new F8 challenge which is an updated 488 with new bumpers.

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    From the Ferrari web site the 488 Challenge is rated at the same power as the 488 GTB (in spite of having the engine weight reduction that has been transferred to the Pista and F8) so a move to an "F8 Challenge" could mean an alignment with the Pista/F8 power.

3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    No F8 Challenge!

Why should Ferrari?

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    To quote 720 hp for the Challenge car, similar to the production F8, as opposed to the currently quoted 670 hp which is aligned with the 488 GTB?

5. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    488 Challenge EVO unveiling this fall

6. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    ok. This makes perfect sense. New bumpers and a chip upgrade for power for $80K. Hence the EVO package.

Is it me or is Ferrari not changing the chassis to increase profits? Sounds like Sergio had his hands in these decisions.

7. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Same Chassis, same engine. The F8 is just a re-styling of the 488. Makes sense for a street car but not for the race version

There is currently no development for a F8 Race Version but for the 488 Challenge there is still development ongoing.

also no F8 GT version but Evo 2 with new Aero will be launched for 2020 for the GT Versions. On the GT Versions updates and ongoing development, just got updated TC Systems etc. Theoretically Ferrari could re-style the 488 Challenge and call it F8 as its Ferrari own one make series. this is not possible for the GT Versions due to FIA homologation (or you would homologate the same car twice...)

Nov17ecshuz, kandi, Elisesko and 2 others like this.
  8. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Thank you!

9. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Any idea of the EVO kits? Cost of the EVO?

10. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    No but I have seen the Car at a Test (not the final product) quite some changes in the front. I would not be surprised if Ferrari (Marketing) would call it F8 at the end, even its still the 488 Challenge

Nicolas21 and gatorgreg like this.
  11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Confirmed: 488 Challenge EVO will be unveiled next month at Finali Mondiali

NürScud likes this.
  12. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I heard the cost of the kit is $70K. New bumpers, mirrors and a ECU tune. It will be available after Daytona 2020.

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Yep, we were told that beginning at Round 2 (Road Atlanta) the 488 Challenge EVO will exclusively be used

14. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Front and rear bumpers, Under trays, wing, steering wheel and tune. I would not put much faith in any price you have heard yet.

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
  16. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Cool. Thank you.

17. AtomReel

AtomReel Rookie

Sep 14, 2019
    Carthage Missouri
    Full Name:
    Adam Lee Helton
    Far greater difference between the 488 and the F8, than was between 348 and f355. They both got a challenge, so I think the F8 likely will as well. If Ferrari think they can make money on a car, they'll make it.

18. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As said there is currently ZERO development on the F8 to get a Challenge Version, but as this is Ferraris own Single Series Cup, theoretically still possible for 2021/2022 as renaming. F8 successor will then be already around the Corner.

They will make money also if they keep the 488 Challenge ;-) just introduce 2 more Evo kits!

F8 GT (GT3/GTE) Version will not happen, the 488 GT will be homologated for another 3 years.

19. AtomReel

AtomReel Rookie

Sep 14, 2019
    Carthage Missouri
    Full Name:
    Adam Lee Helton
    No kidding? It would still be surprising if they don't develop an F8 GT3. However I think Ferrari has entered a new era with street and race car development. I am curious to see what will become of the sf90 stradale, track-wise. I wonder if the challenge series will be expanded, possibly offereing a new dino, a sort of lower tier mclaren 600 competitor? Not directly of course.

20. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely no kidding, there will be no F8 GT. Why? Why homologate the same car twice? At the moment nobody knows what the future GT cars will be, hybrid? No way, you kill customer racing. To expensive, why to heavy... Look all the mess they have with ACO Hypercar Chaos. The F8 successor will debut in two years. To short for developing a GT Car. You need minimum 12-18 months of development of a new race car. I dont see any SF90 Stradale Track Car in the near future

NürScud and tomgt like this.
  21. AtomReel

AtomReel Rookie

Sep 14, 2019
    Carthage Missouri
    Full Name:
    Adam Lee Helton
    If you're right about the F8 being replaced in two years, I can definitely see your point. That makes me think of the F512m. I couldn't care less for a hybrid, but if Ferrari wanted they could introduce a track sf90 that utilizes a laferrari combination powerplant as opposed to the plug-in, either or hybrid *********. All of this disscussion is merely academic, for me anyway. A 348 challenge is my targeted end goal. Before you give me the typical "eww 348!?!?" lecture, I'm an A&P mechanic and most recently a Ferrari mechanic, so I'm fully aware of what I'm saying. Lol

chrixxx likes this.
  22. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    absolutely nothing against the 348. the 348 Challenge is a great, analog, driver focussed Race Car. Make it as light as possible, update the Brakes with the LM Version and work on the suspension, you will have great track toy!

I just came back from the 2 days 50 years of Michelotto celebration in Mugello Italy this weekend. Some great 348 GT Cars have been there too

Hybrid Technology is not ready for Customer racing, far to heavy, far to expensive. Look all the current mess in WEC, ACO-Future Hypercar chaos....

and regarding the 488 "EVO2", also here something more "official"

https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/ferrari-488-double-evo-more-likely-than-new-gte-car/

ewright, tomgt and AtomReel like this.
  23. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  24. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    thank you again.