348 - Front fender rolling | FerrariChat

348 Front fender rolling

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 348 with stock ride height, stock 215/50R17 tires and 11 mm spacers catches the hell out of the underside front fender lip and pulls it down. I tend to throw my car into corners frequently maybe others drive more gingerly? I just rolled my fenders today, that may fix it. I had to drill out the roller with 5/8 bit so the lugs fit. This apparently common with 360's in stock form. Got me thinking though?

A) How do other 348 owner not have this issue or do you all roll your fenders?
    B) How doe a 355 NOT have his problem with 6mm or so more offset than I have with the 11mm spacers. Is it the 225 tire? Are 355 fenders rolled from the factory or something?

I am in central NJ of anyone needs a roller to use pm me.

This is not mine below it's a 360 but for reference here is what I am talking about. Mine was WAY WAY WAY worse.
    [​IMG]

2. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Are your shocks ok? If they are original and untouched the damper along with the spring might not be functioning as well as it could. Same with the lower bushing in the shock mount.

I have driven some very bad F355’s with massive dive and squat under hard braking and acceleration which was resolved with damper rebuild and new lower bushes.

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #4 Ferrarium, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Well I rolled mine 2" on either side of the affected area, the paint cracked slightly on one side in a small 1/4" slit on the underside I forced touch up paint in the crack. I am going to go to 18" wheels with the same offset as 348 & 11 mm spacers and run 225/40R18 tire (10mm shorter) and 265/40R18 rear and lower the rear 1.5mm to maintain F/R balance. Seems that extra 5mm less radius on the front may make a difference.

Definitely plan on rebuilding the shocks, thats a good point. Currently pending caliper rebuild and paint, TOB, clutch, flywheel etc then carpet this winter. Then wheels/tires then shock rebuild.

You can see where it rubs below in Miroljub picture, 2 places, mine was the exact same, the smaller area in front I bet is eliminated with 225/40R18 tires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My pg3s on my 355 will touch the fender if i turn sharp on to a ramp such as a driveway. Schnazzy's also has a post on here where he indicated his wheels can contact the fenders to.
    Running lots of negative camber helps. Price we pay for a good stance i guess lol

6. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    When I got my car the previous owner caught the fender real good on the passenger side and a little on the driver side. I did the same thing. Made my own lug bolts to get the roller to mount up. Using a heat gun can save your paint from popping off if you take your time. My paint unfortunately was already popping so will need to fix that, but a roller can work wonders if done right, and while your in there might as well push the lip up a little more to avoid future issues.

Attached Files:

Shurik355 likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Has it caught since rolling? Have not had mine out yet to try. I used heat bit it cracked in one spot on one side. Must have cooled down too much I rolled them waaaay up. it's not noticable the paint crack I more worry it can spread.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. User-C3

User-C3 Karting

Aug 29, 2018
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    So far I have not had any issues. I dont take driveway approaches or large surface changes when the wheels will be turned at much of any speed though either. As far as your paint crack I would just keep an eye on it. You could pull at it and get off what is loose and wants to come off anyway and then spot treating with paint match, but just a crack on the fender edge isn't anything crazy. I did a temporary paint touch up on the area and its hardly noticeable. For me its good enough until I get to the point of addressing all the paint issues on the car.

9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I got the "unfold" (only after installing the 10 mm spacers) when I went very slowly over a normal speed bump in my condo but I had the wheels turned to one side quite a bit at the time. I rolled it to the original angle and thought that, if I am careful to keep the wheels fairly straight when going over humps, it should be fine. However, it happened again (don't know exactly where) so I rolled it one more time and out the front spacers went. I read that, if you want better high speed stability, use 25 mm spacers on the rear wheels and no spacers at the front. If you also have 10 mm spacers at the front, you don't get as good high speed stability improvement but you get better looks. When I removed the front spacers, I thought the car looked just as good.

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No alignment change Miroljub? Just removes and bolted wheels back on.

11. Culprit

Culprit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 4, 2011
    Santa Ana, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I caught the fender on my F355 with a mechanically stock set-up and Pilot SuperSports (I forget the tire width but same as / close to stock). Although the stance on these cars doesn't look like it, the tolerances of tire to fender clearance are very tight -- so once you put on spacers you're going to get issues.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Right the 348 has less offset than the 348 even with spacers on so I was wondering how the 355 managed. Seems it has issues as well.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Yes, the spacers do not affect the wheel alignment.