488 - Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Chris Harris compares Pista to 600LT

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, Jun 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    The guy is not that hot a driver.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    If you are referring to a 997 series turbo couldn't agree more, but not 991 or any of their new turbo engines. They are virtually lag free. 600 has bad lag and I found that unacceptable particularly in a car of this era. The manic delivery from lag point on reminded me of an over-boosted overly tuned engine from a tune shop with zero linearity. I actually went in with intention to buy the car as I quite liked the look of it but the drive killed it for me. Very disappointing in comparison to what I was used to. The inner guards falling out of it also weren't very convincing in the build quality and engineering stakes.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ve driven the 570 and it had tremendous lag. Didn’t like it. I’ve driven the 600 and while there is a little lag, I didn’t find it bad at all. I mean it’s not as good as the 488 or 720 but it’s not terrible.

The Porsche- is never buy it. The Gt3 and RS versions are magical. Truly a pleasure to drive. I didn’t get the same feeling with the Porsche Turbo.

737Drvr likes this.
  4. min3040

min3040 Rookie

Dec 5, 2015
    Fairfax, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris Hong
    I forgot to mention my 600Lt came with two different rear fins. One was Carbon and the other side was glossy black plastic. Maybe it was too dark to notice when they did the final inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    One of the all time Kings of lag an then insane boost is the Porsche Turbo Carrera (76-79). I have fond memories of it. Mine was a 79 which then was simply called a 930 Turbo. It had the 3.3L with the intercooler on top of the whale tail. What a rush. Hottest car in the World at that time.

Manda racing likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    For me this isn't about whether having choices isn't good or, arguing whether Maclaren has or hasn't placed pressure on the competition. It's simply calling something out for what it is after comparing the drive against it's competitors. If it was as good I'd have one in my garage....but that wasn't the case I found. The 600 Maclaren is getting better - way better than 570 - but has ways to go before it is on par with the others imho. It is was it is.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree with 570. The lag in that thing is just awful....and the brakes so wooden in feel. 600 is an improvement in both areas for sure but i'm not backing away from the fact it has bad lag - and very easy to invoke - even if not AS bad as 570. 720 isn't near as bad as 600 in lag - agree on that.
    Not sure what series 911 turbo you are referring to? I'm intrigued as all 991 series are very hard to invoke any form of lag. The other series prior I would agree.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    There is no lag in the 720. Same with 488. 600- I dont have enough seat time in it to give a qualified opinion but a good friend of mine has one- he has never complained about the lag and neither has any other owner that I know of but again- im just going by what they are saying. I havent had a robust enough drive in one to say one way or another.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Probably unlikely for a 600 owner to complain about anything afterall they've already parted the hard earned, but I guess based upon your brief off circuit experience Maclaren having potential buyers such as myself testing it on circuit wasn't exactly their best idea.

I would have also loved to have seen what let go on those inner front guards to make them fall out of position like that....looked as if they'd split in half and were being spat out the side of the guards. I thought the 600 held up pretty well under the treatment other than that issue whereas the 570's looked and felt very abused....even an exterior trim bit had fallen off on the track somewhere. Not exactly a great look IYKWIM!

10. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    I have a 600LT and love it! To each his own and I get that. I'm not a huge track guy and I find the LT an awesome driving experience on the open road. There is more turbo lag than a 488 but it's easily managed. Once on boost the car pulls very well! It's not 720S quick but right there with a 488GTB. Steering is great and I prefer the weighted feel and feedback over the electric racks. The brake pedal is firm from the outset and takes a bit of getting used to. Most McLarens are like this. Once you get used to their modulation, the brakes provide fantastic stopping power and are fade free. The car works for me and I kept it over the Performante. I know that will surprise many but driving is a subjective experience and, to me, the 600LT is the better drive. Other than off the line, it's quicker than Performante, has better turn-in, and is more playful. I forgot how much I missed rear wheel drive cars. Remember, I'm speaking of driving on the street. I know track driving is a different regime. Various tracks favor particular cars. The Performante definitely sounded better...no contest there. But for a turbo motor, those exhaust pipes behind your head provide a decent soundtrack.

With all this said, would I take a Pista over a 600LT? Heck Yeah! But one isn't in the cards right now. So, I pre-traded the Performante for a F8. I'll get to experience my first Ferrari and at least the Pista power train. I drove a 488 and was fairly impressed. I think the F8 will be that much better and a nice garage mate to the 600LT.

dmark1, technom3, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Maybe. But plenty of people buy a car and if they dont like it, sell it. There may be lag- I dont know but all Im saying is that you are the first person that Ive heard complain so vehemently against it. Chris Harris doesnt seem to mind the drive so much and I reckon he has more seat time than any of us behind the wheel.

either way- I dont own the car and have no vested interest in buying the car whatsoever so Im just reporting what Ive heard. It very well may be the worst car in the world. I have no clue.

737Drvr likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you liked the 488, I figure you will like the F8 better. Its essentially the same car with another 50hp. I loved my 488. Its sold now. Patiently awaiting my Pista. Only have the 720 to keep me company for the time being. :)

tekaefixe likes this.
  13. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Funny how lag in an 288 GTO or F40 is considering exhilarating while in a 600LT it’s awful. Personally, I don’t mind some of my cars to be a bit laggy.... it creates a distinct experience which I find occasionally entertaining.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I haven’t driven a McLaren 570 or 600, but the 720S is a gem. Little lag and beautiful hydraulic steering. I was very impressed with that car and might pick one up. Great value used, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer, Caeruleus11 and 737Drvr like this.
  15. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks! We're in the same boat. Lol. SF sold my Performante the day after I traded it. Crazy. Hope to meet you and some of the other local McLaren and Ferrari owners at an upcoming event. I'll definitely be at the unveiling for the F8. Congrats on the Pista, it's an amazing machine.

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Where are you located? Would be happy to hook up.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I guess my complaint on the lag was more about disappointment than anything else as prior to driving it I really had my heart hard set on buying one but after tracking it couldn't bring myself to it. The engine was really quite crass and brakes lacked the ability to easily modulate. The owner 737drvr has called it there on the brakes and perhaps with more seat time the brakes would become less worrisome but at this point in time I've come to expect certain things in a car as minimum requirements and if they aren't there, I go cold pretty quickly.

I think 600 is a pretty good car - great chassis and steering - but for me still has ways to go before I could buy one. I think if it is driven on the road and under regular type driving conditions these problems would be easier to live with and adjust to but again I just expected better based upon all the hype and also what I've become used to expecting in a car of this value and type.

18. 737Drvr

737Drvr Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    I'm way down in Gilbert but get up to Scottsdale a fair amount. I'll probably be up at the dealer this Saturday midday to tweak the spec on the F8. If you're around, would be nice to meet you and get any advice you may have on speccing one of these.

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m actually headed out of town this weekend. Back Sunday. I just helped my business partner with his spec and obviously I specced my Pista and a 488 Spider that I ended up backing out of.

Happy to offer any help I can. I’ll pm you my cell. Have a good group of friends with all sorts of fun cars- will get you info on our next outing.

20. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    I kind of agree. The pista looks great but... that interior is about 10 years old now. And modern ferrari steering is one of the weaker points in the car if i'm honest. very 'assisted' . It works and the car goes where its told but i'd like less power assistance. Ferrari does a good job eliminating lag but its still there, essentially a boost by gear system instead of letting you have all the power when you want.

still not gonna touch a mclaren though. especially not with a nearby dealer.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I have over 5000 miles in my 488 which I just sold. There was zero lag in the car. I would assume Pista is the same if not better.

WM458, Shadowfax and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    488 s had noticeable lag.
    Not 911 tt bad, but easily detectable.

humdizzle likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 had noticeable lag???? Really???

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  24. Yum, I love lag.

Shadowfax, Ash Patel and SoCal to az like this.
  25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Absolutely