Pista and GPF - late build possibility? | FerrariChat

Pista and GPF - late build possibility?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by C50, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Does anyone have insight into whether late-build Pistas will have GPF installed?

My sense is No, as the design is based on no GPF, in contradistinction to the F8, and the release date is obviously before 2020.
    However, I have no sophisticated insight into GPF requirements beyond what I've read here.
    I'm in the US, where GPF is, to my understanding, not an upcoming requisite.
    I have a fall appointment scheduled at the new NYC atelier so I'm curious if the last off the line will be materially different than those already delivered.
    Thanks for your thoughts
    C

2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    As far as I know, US cars will not have the particulate filter. This seems universal across all manufacturers

C50 likes this.
  3. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    No, they will not have GPF fitted, that is the whole reason the Pista was released a year earlier that original expectation, it is also the reason the 488 coupe+spider are ending production. The F8 was released early because of GPF, the Pista will remain free of GPF.

GPF is not required in USA and probably never will be and it certainly is not in any plans I have seen from the US EPA.

Late production Pistas will be for non-EU, non-China countries

Bundy, Caeruleus11, LVP488 and 3 others like this.
  4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thank you
    I've learned much regarding GPF from your posts. I appreciate the information.

Interesting to consider build dates relating to such considerations as varying/evolving regulations.
    It would make sense in low volume production to streamline design to address the most restrictive denominator and it will be interesting to see how Ferrari and others (eg Porsche limited models) evolve. I've wondered how much of eg London's anticipated restrictions influenced Ferrari's design brief for the SF90.
    But of course how the sausage is ultimately made is inscrutable.
    Good time to be alive and enjoying these toys.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    OK enough with the technology jargon! How are you going to spec that Pista at the atelier? I agree JTSE30 has provided a wealth of information regarding the dreaded GPF where there was no general knowledge, previously!!! He also plotted the model production schedule using the start dates for new legislation which was rather astute...

C50 and JTSE30 like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    You're welcome, glad to help, this whole GPF issue is something else and the EU, unlike the US EPA, really puts the pressure on automobile manufacturers, short notice, big problems for non-compliance (i.e. 'stop-sale' for failing to pass particle number RDE testing).

Ferrari has been working on a hybrid long before London first threatened its restrictions, but, then again London's ULEZ regs really have no impact on any car compliant with Euro 4 (i.e. MY2006):

https://electrek.co/2019/04/09/london-ulez-goes-live/

If anything, China would be the biggest threat regarding requiring zero emissions (London does not require zero emissions, they might at some point).

Anyway, good question, why did Ferrari do the SF90, a hybrid? After all the "hybrid" portion is about as minimal as it could possibly be made, I doubt it has anything to do with CO2 violation penalties. It may be the 'eventual' threat that the EU and others will not allow combustion engine automobiles to be registered after MY2028 or so, making cars is a long-term proposition, takes years of development, etc, so, Ferrari had to get started.

see page 9 here:

https://corporate.ferrari.com/sites/ferrari15ipo/files/ferrari_nv_annual_report_12.31.2018.pdf

Ferrari is quite concerned how hybrids will be received...

They definitely are not making hybrids just to be on par with their competition, after all Ferrari excels at engine building (engine builder of the year over and over again), hybrids are clumsy, two drivetrains that must be made to work together, but, if Ferrari takes out the combustion engine, that which they are literally the best at, and then do what others can do just as well (i.e. electric motors+batteries) or perhaps better, where's the emotion?

and, from page 19 of the link above:

The introduction of hybrid cars is costly and its long term success is uncertain.

We are gradually but rapidly introducing hybrid technology in our cars. In accordance with our strategy, we believe hybrid technology will be key to providing continuing performance upgrades to our sports car customers, and will also help us capture the preferences of the urban, affluent GT cars purchasers whom we are increasingly targeting, while helping us meet increasingly stricter emissions requirements.

While some of our past models, such as LaFerrari and LaFerrari Aperta, have included hybrid technology, the integration of such technology more broadly into our car portfolio over time may present challenges and costs. We expect to increase R&D spending in the medium term particularly on hybrid technology-related projects. Although we expect to price our future hybrid cars appropriately to recoup the investments and expenditures we are making, we cannot be certain that these expenditures will be fully recovered. In addition, this transformation of our car technology creates risks and uncertainties such as the impact on driver experience, and the impact on the cars’ residual value over time, both of which may be met with an unfavorable market reaction. Other manufacturers of luxury sports cars may be more successful in implementing hybrid technology. Longer term, although we believe that combustion engines will continue to be fundamental to the Ferrari driver experience, pure electric cars may become the prevalent technology for performance sports cars thereby displacing hybrid models. See also “If we are unable to keep up with advances in high performance car technology, our brand and competitive position may suffer.”

Because hybrid technology is a core component of our strategy, and we expect that a significant portion of our shipments will consist of hybrid vehicles in the medium term, if the introduction of hybrid cars proves too costly or is unsuccessful in the market, our business and results of operations could be materially adversely affected.

...To that end, Lamborghini has been making all kinds of noise about its upcoming V12+hybrid, but, Ferrari has recently stated their V12 will not be hybrid, not be downsized, not be turbo....so, there is a big problem, probably realized during development of the SF90 that had Ferrari do an abrupt about-face on V12+hybrid,etc...

Time will tell in the end of course

Bundy, gzachary, Eilig and 2 others like this.
  7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    ooh, that's a $64k question...
    I've got some ideas. I want to maintain a vintage feel while celebrating the technological advances.
    I tried to get a TM visit but was rebuffed, unsurprisingly as I'm not a heavy hitter.
    That gives me an excuse to plan on another car in the future.
    ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  8. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Page 9 onwards is a good read.
    It makes me wonder what the discussion was behind closed doors, as this is for sure a vetted and sanitized version.

Thanks again for the input.

Eilig likes this.
  9. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    • My italian pista spider is a 2020 production , do u think it will have gpf?

10. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Unknown
    I emailed Ferrari through the owners portal to ask if late Pistas will have gpf fitted and they promptly replied that I should ask my dealer.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Yes, Italy is part of the EU and all Ferrari MY2020 production for EU will have GPF as it is required to satisfy RDE testing.

And, all Ferrari MY2020 production will have GPF regardless of destination country.

I presume there is a very small chance your Pista Spider will be built without GPF but only if the engine is built very soon, please let us know when it arrives and if it has GPF devices.

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Over in the V12 section, there was something about a customer including a clause in his purchase contract regarding the GPF. This caused his car to have to be built much more quickly. That raises a few eyebrows I think. Here's a screen shot of the post that caught my eye:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since the Pista / Pista spider will be discontinued in 2020 anyway, I doubt Ferrari will go through the hassle of adapting the GPF to them for only a few months of production. My guess is that they intend to produce as many as they can in 2019 (that's why they postpone the deliveries of the F8; probably no customer F8 is being built in 2019 to leave room for the Pista) and maybe they will have a few Pista produced in 2020 for markets not requiring GPF. However even in Europe some Pista spiders were initially planned for 2020 so I don't know how it will work out; btw I saw a Pista spider ready for delivery at my dealership in France last week (it's probably oe of the first here).

RayJohns and Thecadster like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This sounds extremely sensible. I hope for the sake of the concerned future owners this scenario ends up being accurate. In the case of the F8, the buyer has advance warning and can make an educated decision. However, GPF slipped in at the end of a model run like the Pista feels like a complete bamboozle.

Bundy and SoCal to az like this.
  15. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I am getting confused.
    I assume Pistas to date and hopefully all Pistas do not have GPF.
    I assume all F8 Tributos will have GPF.
    How come the F8's power and performance figures appear not to be affected ?

16. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    F8 has the GPF baked into the design.

Presumably it was tweaked to compensate for the addition of the GPF, resulting in numbers better than the base 488 but not exceeding the Pista (as is tradition)

The unknown is whether any Pista will have the GPF installed and, if so, what impact if any this will have on the sound and fury compared to non-GPF Pistas.

17. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    For what it is worth my dealer is telling me that they believe all Pista's will not have GPF. The belief is that Ferrari doesnt want to have two separate exhaust systems for the Pista. Im wondering how true that belief is considering they could probably stick the F8 system in the car. Anyone else hear from their dealers? My Pista was stage 60 last week so I think Im safe thank goodness.

JTSE30 seems to have the best information as far as this subject goes so hoping he is right.

18. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    So if it is easy to maintain performance they could do that on a GPF Pista,
    Are we just talking about engine sound as the problem ?

19. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I think until there’s some definitive statements direct from Maranello regarding the Pista, it is all speculation.
    Presumably it would not take much to transplant the F8 set up (inconel headers and downstream) into a Pista, but I’m guessing here.
    The other unknown is if a Pista w GPF will even be appreciably different from a non-GPF. It may ultimately be a nonissue.

I share your hope but the facts remain to be revealed.

My dealer (US) is contacting his factory rep to hopefully answer this question once and for all.
    I’ll share what I learn.

gzachary likes this.
  20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Valid point and valid question

Pista with/without GPF is pure speculation
    Added weight and complexity, less power and diminished exhaust note are the concerns.

But it’s an automotive enthusiast forum, so speculation can be fun.

Interestingly, there was quite a bit of discussion on Rennlist last year about GPFs. I’d missed it since the talk revolves around models I was not in the market for.

21. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    If you want to read F-Chat speculation go to 812 VS thread which has pages of speculation about GPF.

of2worlds and C50 like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I don't think that is correct about no F8 for customers now. Saw a matte blu elettrico F8 out on it's pre-delivery test drive last week in Maranello.

23. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I've attached a 24 page summary for EPA testing for the MY19 488/Pista/GTC4 Lusso. No mention of GFP but interesting to note they mention how Pista's they expect to sell in the US/Canada in the document.

Attached Files:

Bmill and C50 like this.
  24. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    MY 2020 F8's will be delivered this year concurrently with 2019/2020 Pista's?

25. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    FWIW, on the upcoming Porsche Speedster the EU cars will have GPF but the US (and non GPF region) cars will not. The GPF is integrated into the exhaust header and for the US cars, Porsche has engineered some sort of internal manifold “mesh” that replicates the desired back pressure of the GPF in the exhaust system so that they need only one ECU for the world.

Of note, the speedster exhaust system is 22 lbs lighter than the system on the GT3 (similar engine) so the notion that GPF has to add weight is not true, at least with respect to the Porsche GT3 platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sampelligrino and of2worlds like this.