BBi Steering Rack Problem | FerrariChat

BBi Steering Rack Problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi all. Well here's a new one. My '84 BBi has a rebuilt steering rack in it and has for quite a few years now. It has seemed to work OK until this weekend.

When starting out to a local event the steering worked fine. However as the car heated up (90 degree day) the steering began to bind. After about 40 minutes of freeway/city driving, the binding was to the point of the steering wheel staying where you put it!

After lunch at the event, and the car sitting for about an hour and a half (in 90 degree weather), it was time to leave. The steering worked fine! No binding. But about 5 minutes into driving the binding returned and was as bad as before.

When I pulled the car into my garage and shut it off, I moved the steering wheel left and right which produced a "groaning" sound from the area of the rack, and yes it was binding. After the car cooled down, there was no noise and no binding.

As I reflected on this situation I realized that the rack had always done this but only to a very small degree and it wasn't bothersome.

I have the old rack out of the car ( Cam Gear Ltd.), so I decided to have a look inside and see what was there that might bind. The only thing I could see were bushings on either side of the rack gear which would be nylon on steel (?), and the small piston that pushes down on the rack to keep it in place, which would be steel on steel.

The rack is not leaking fluid either but I have not checked it out to see how much fluid is in it either. The owners manual recommends .33-.37 pts. of 80-90 wt gear oil.

So, anybody out there experience this? Did I get a bad rebuilt rack? I would appreciate any info anyone has.

2. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    I would pull one of boots off and see if there is any oil- sounds like it may be dry and binding.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Not sure whst may be causing the issue, but if you are dry you might want to consider using grease vs oil. When I got my car the rack had been redone by a Ferrari dealer the prior year. It was leaking and when we redid it the person put grease in and said it's whats done on race cars and never leaks.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Check the bushing at the base of the steering column where it passes through the firewall. My understanding is its a dry bushing but hitting it with lube might free it up and you have found the source of your binding. The U joints are another but I haven't seen bad ones yet.

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks!

6. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks Paul..

I'm going to put it on the rack this weekend and check it out. When I took the "old" rack apart, that is I took the boots off either end, I was surprised to find there are no bushings on the outer ends of the rack..they're inboard closer to the gear section...

And, who/where do you source/get racks rebuilt on cars you service?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    These steering racks are not rocket science. They make a perfect DIY project and spare parts are readily available. Try the search function and you will find a ton of information. They a practically the same type from the Dino 206 and onward. I made a small tutorial a few years ago, scroll down on this link:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rebuild-steering-rack.430377/#post-143368715

Most importantly find a new bushing, either plastic as the original or bronze as aftermarket and use grease type "00" and NOT oil for lubricant.

Best regards

Peter

8. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Thanks so much for the info. I did do a search on here, but it didn't pull up much. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly. The "original" rack I have from my car (and I'm suspect now because the small outboard clamps on the end boots are IDEAL and not SERFLEX), has the exact same numbers stamped on it as your 246L rack referenced in the link you provided, but was produced in 1983!

Can you tell me, approximately where are the bushings placed inside the tube? In mine, the right hand outer is about 8" inside..

9. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    With reference to a non modified original rack: The bushing is located in the right hand side aluminum housing (Opposite the steering box housing). There is a small screw on the outside of this housing, this screw is locking the bushing inside the housing. There is only one bushing in the rack.

Best regards

Peter

10. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Wow..only one bushing! I had no idea. The screw on my rack is a very short metal screw...thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The rack is the same as those used on the DeTomaso Pantera. There a few sites with instructions for rebuilding the racks and you can purchase upgraded bronze bushings from a Pantera aftermarket parts supplied

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks!