Buying a Ferrari 360 on a budget: my experiences, the myths and the pitfalls | Page 6 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I've driven a few Gallardo's including tuned ones and I wouldn't even compare them driving wise to a 360. Totally different type of car, the 360 feels light and nimble, the Gallardo does not. Wouldn't even consider one. Like I said earlier if your going to up the budget you'd be better getting a McLaren 12C but going that route be prepared for even bigger maintenance bills.

KC360 FL likes this.
  2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So why are you not buying that era 911, R8, Vantage or Gallardo? I don't get it. There are so many cars that make so much sense for you to buy, and yet you don't. Why is that? Is a Ferrari more desirable? Could that be why the prices of the cars you mentioned are lower?

I'm also not sure what you are getting at with this thread. Is it supposed to be a 'call to arms' to insist on paying less for Ferrari purchases and service? Are you trying to get everyone to band together in this purpose? I just don't think it is going to be effective.

And yet you keep writing that your opinion makes complete sense, and that it is the market, both sales and service that is out of whack and nonsense. Do you think just possibly the market is correct and you are incorrect? Just a thought.

Kevin

Apollo 11 and paulchua like this.
  3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sadly this thread is rapidly going down hill...

paulchua likes this.
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Simply put, you have to pay to play. It is what it is. Economic and capitalism is at work and that's what is driving the prices of Ferraris (or any other make of cars). But you already know that. If you don't like the admission price, shop for another marque.

vinny84 and paulchua like this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Queens english. Nuff said... heheheh

Bubba (redneck merican' engrish) you ain't helping much. There are those who can, and those who almost do.. and those who do. I get you're ALMOST an owner.
    Being an OWNER for 9 years... you're full of it. I didn't whine like a Honda driver... I bought it. Try it. :) Until you do.. you sound Just... Like... That 18 year old kid who drove up in his dads BMW telling us how he ALMOST bought a Ferrari and ALMOST dated a Victorias Secret model.. etc. etc.

Did I mention to the crowd how I bought a LaFerrari? On eBay. Then I had to tell them that the $3 million dollar bid was an accident and cancel it..

Apollo 11 and Shark01 like this.
  6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It didn't start too high up... though school is out...

Apollo 11, Shark01 and KC360 FL like this.
  7. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    The brainlessness and lack of comprehension is definitely strong here, I have to say..

I know we're all very precious and protective, but still

To clarify.. Again..

This post is for people that HAVE ALREADY HAD ONE OF THOSE CARS MENTIONED AND WOULD LIKE TO DRIVE A FERRARI NEXT. OK?

To be honest, Autocar already basically suggested the things I've been talking about:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/used-car-buying-guides/used-car-buying-guide-ferrari-360

And once more.. For the record...

If people just accept things "as they are" nothing ever ****ing changes?

There's a **** load of cars for sale currently, I don't see really many of them selling, and people (just like you) are getting regularly fleeced simply by virtue of the nice horsey badge on your car

I am barely saying anything new here, but for people looking to enter this realm, I think it's worth reiterating and debating. For their benefit, if not your own.

8. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Oh, and the original list price was £105,788. So re-do the math.

And people don't think of the + options price when buying a used car. They may just simply pay a fraction more for a nicer spec.

e

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    At this point, it seems like the OP is trying to talk himself out of the idea. Nothing wrong with that and perfectly normal. He's given it a good go and come up short.

Apollo 11, paulchua and Shark01 like this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Dealers never let you order just the base price car, they talk you out of it very successfully. Actually you'd be rather foolish to think about doing so too since you just wouldn't be able to sell a poverty spec'd car in a market fully of heavily optioned cars, even F1 was an option. Don't think I have ever seen a Ferrari that didn't have several thousand in options spec'd at the minimum.

Quite simply you always have* to get some options or you just don't get on the list to order. Many threads about it, so the average spec'd car price still stands. If you want to do other scenario's do it yourself now that you know how.

I'm out of this thread. Easily enough info in here for others now and its getting frustrating..

paulchua and kes7u like this.
  11. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Not at all. Currently working on a deal right now for a car at the right price with a big enough Oh **** fund layered into it.

It isn't particularly high mileage (less than 50k). It's been cambelt serviced recently and has a thorough history. He is currently finding out when the last clutch was done. The seller is down to PPI and is available for viewings at any time. The car is way below 50 grand.

A lesson to all..

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I think it's important to realize that while you may be getting a great car and paying way less does not make the folks who get a great car and pay more to be out of their minds or "buying" into the f-car hype.

Looking long enough and I too have found that one deal, that one guy that has to sell, the one person who is simply ready to let it go. It can happen. I think it's called the "outlier".
    I just don't call out and disparage the rest of the market as off the mark, overpriced, or buyers as being conned sheep.

paulchua, Shark01 and kes7u like this.
  13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'm done with this useless thread. I can't wait to be told all about how my ownership is and should have been once the OP gets their car...

Apollo 11, Shark01 and kes7u like this.
  14. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yep. I don't require any more insults to realize I'm not wanted. Enjoy talking with yourself. Hopefully your attitude changes if/when you buy your car. If not, thankfully there is always the 'ignore' button.

Kevin

Apollo 11 and Shark01 like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You must not be a Fast and Furious fan.

reddog likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #141 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Yet you do not understand literally the first lesson in econ 101, which would explain much of your whinges.

Consider this.

Today, Porsche makes more cars in 9 months then what Ferrari took 70 years. Part of the allure and specialness of a Ferrari is the rarity. There are many cars that are faster, more capable, less expensive, more reliable, and are generally 'better' on paper -- Sounds like you owned a Porsche before, they are excellent machines and in my opinion objectively the 'best' cars in the world.

But, as good as Porsche is. It still not a Ferrari, nor have I ever gotten that special feeling with Porsche over a Ferrari (exception of Carrera GT / 918.)
    I am not a competitive track rat, so lap times are not my priority. I mainly drive my cars off the track, so maximum pleasure in that context is my primary want.

I believe the reason why this thread is starting to go awry is your angle. You lament the downsides of Ferrari, yet those 'downsides' are intrinsic to low volume, older, exotic sports cars like a Ferrari 360. All the while dismissing, giving guidance, and belittling existing long-time Ferrari owners about said Ferrari which you do not own. Can you not see the cognitive dissonance of this situation?

17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #142 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    In other words, you mean, the market?

I'll warn my friends that own bulletproof 360s for years about the impending "endless nightmares" to come. Kevin Enderby comes to mind, I don't know, he's just put a collective 600,000 miles on his various Ferrari, I'll let him know it's a lucky fluke. Expect spontaneous combustion very soon.

Some life coaching advice. ANY industry "WILL exploit your 'wealth,' if you allow it to." A non-sequitur if there ever was one.

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but not mine.

Nothing that we don't already know, but thanks for the reminder?

...and yet, here you are on a Ferrari chat board seeking to buy a Ferrari.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    People are 'made to pay this'?

When has it become a life pre-requisite to buy a Ferrari? When have I had a gun put to my head to service my car at any garage?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Let's put another way, the sellers seem to have been turning down your proposals for purchase. Then tell you it has sold rather than deal with you further.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I suggest one look up "economies of scale"

There were over 1 million 911s made so far.

You keep on lauding the pros and benefits of Porsche and talk about all the pitfalls of the 360.

Yet here you are trying to get an anathema. Lack of experience cannot be referenced, you said you owned one for 2 months?

Are 20-year-old McLarens, Lamborghinis, and Maseratis shining examples of low-cost ownership?

Apollo 11 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #146 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    A car that has been unsold for 2 years is by definition a car that does not *need* to be sold. I think that is where your viewpoint is astray. The cars you see are by observation bias, the ones that are outliers.

A sorted Ferrari is not hard to sell for the *right* price. Hence, that's why you don't see them and are here instead of complaining about the ones you do.

Edit: Aha - proved my point. (see below)

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #147 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    What is the lesson? That if you find a good price on a sorted Ferrari you like, one should buy it?

Quite the illumination.

I think I speak for everybody at Fchat, that this *lesson* is indeed groundbreaking. I think we can safely say we all will try to keep this in mind.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Paul, every once in a while we come across posters that.. how shall I put it.. as Lincoln said: "Remove all doubt".

paulchua likes this.
  24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    "Interesting" thread.

Some observations, cause I cant resist...!

1) There is a lot of help out there if you just reach our. This forum for one. CS for another. Aldious and Tim Walker in the UK. Peerless reputations.

2) Excessive costs. Hmm, yes and now.
    - Hourly rates: Most all places including main dealers will do fixed price servicing, and most main dealers will do sensible hourly rates for older cars. It get about £100 at my local; which is considerably less than BMW or what a friend gets done for at a Peugeot main dealer. with a good relationship you can get lower than that. All you have to do is ask which are the good main dealers and indies...lots of help and advise there.
    -parts, again yes and now. If they are F parts in a little yellow box with a horse, yes, if you can find alternatives no..check the threads on here.​

3) Do people try and take advantage. Yup. Same as any business where there is money. You think Ferrari "industry" is full of sharks...come this way and let me sell you a yacht; you haven't seen nothing yet!! Is it disappointing? Yes. Is it predictable? Sorry yes!

4) Are there a lot of overpriced cars? Yes. There is a belief in a lot of owners that they bought a Ferrari therefore it will make them money!! They do if you buy at the right time, get lucky and sell at the right time. Otherwise they are the same as any other car, something that will depreciate till it hits it bottom. A lot will be on SOR and as said above, don't "need" to sell, the owners are just fishing to see if some sucker bites. But you will always find a fire sale if you wait long enough.

5) PPI....mine was done by a very well know indie. What they missed, which was obvious, has cost me a few £k. Would I do a PPI again, yes, but only by 1-2 guys.

6) Are they unreliable? What are you comparing that too? A Vectra, Porsche 911, Lamborghini, Bentley Blower or what?

7) Are the Ferrari techs busy? Yup. What mechanic isn't busy!! Try telling me how long ahead it takes to book your daily in for a service? Also don't forget that this type of car is a bit more seasonal, so techs will be busier in the spring prepping cars for the summer.

Good luck with whatever you do. But if its a 360, I'd suggest you mend a few fences on here as you seem to have upset a few folk. We don't all get on on here; and I wouldn't expect to. I wont mention that I'm and Elton supporter...well only if I want to wind Sid up LOL. But I do like his taste in heels!!!! The point is this is a great source of info. For a car the age of a 360 there probably isn't anything that hasn't happned/broke/been fixed; so a mine of information.

Apollo 11, jcurry, imahorse and 2 others like this.