Camaro dead in 2023? | FerrariChat

Camaro dead in 2023?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheMayor, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    It will be back, in name only, as a pure electric econobox 4dr SUV.

3. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    This sounds eerily like the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo and the new Lancer 'sportcross'. What an abomination.

4. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    As an owner of a 2018 model, I can honestly say that the Camaro is a truly fun car to drive, quite capable, and very much a huge bang for the buck. I know that any who have a problem with its pedigree would, at least behind closed doors, have no problem admitting the same. I've been around high end cars for years and have an experienced frame of reference. I think Chevrolet got it right with the V8 series 6th Gen Camaros, and it would be quite a shame to see the line not continue to progress. Sales, though, make that determination...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Gm screwed up the camaro twice before, it took the aussies to develop the platform that brought it back the 3rd time, now Gm screwed it up again. When will they learn, when will they learn.

Meanwhile the Mustang does great as does even the Challenger.

Mbutner and Smiles like this.
  6. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

I agree with all of the above. I have four thirdgen Firebirds (including 1 Trans Am, 2 Trans Am GTA's and a 1991) and a fourthgen. Each unique and fun to drive.

While the acceleration lags, (except the 1989 Turbo Trans Am and the Firehawk which excel), aerodynamics and lateral acceleration are on a par at least with the supercars of that era.

Unfortunately corporate cultures change and I fear that the "skunk works" of long ago have also gone.

7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    IMO, GM got away with murder on the 5thgen Camaro....the ridiculously high belt line, gun turret windows, crappy interior, etc. Then, they intro the 6th gen, and make ALL the same mistakes again. Plus the cars look identical to the untrained (i.e. non Camaro owners). Ten years ago, retro was cool. Now, it just looks OLD.

The sad thing is the 6th gen is the BEST sports/pony car the Camaro has ever been. Re-bodied with even half way decent ergonomics and proper (new) styling, the car would still sell, I think.

JCR and carguyjohn350 like this.
  8. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    If true, i'm even happier that i've stocked-up on modern COPOs and Yenkos

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The current camaro is a great sportscar in terms of handling and dynamics, but not so great as a muscle car not least because of its diminutive size. Apart from the horrid interior and even worse outward view its simply too small and cramped to be a muscle car. The previous gen worked because it had size and presence, this gen may be better dynamicaly but its like an 8/10ths shrunken scale version. Imo a little lower beltline, more greenhouse and a nice interior, even with its size it coulda been something.

From what we read the V6 with a stick is really a great sportscar, but Gm hasent really promoted it at all. I'm a camaro guy, and in this Gen if I were getting one of these types of cars, the mustang just offers so much better space and options from the 4cl convertible with nice lux interior to the Gt350, or if its pure road car, how to beat a challenger.

Was at the Glen last week, and there was someone there in a previous gen z28, that car drove to the track and ran really great times all day long, sounding great with its 427 V8 to boot.

this gen camro they just phoned in.

To me I think Gm is missing the boat, the camaro should be the 4 seater vette, then we could also have a fe vtte a me vette and a vette suv, its not as though all the hardware is not there already. Or make a luxury camaro as the caddy sportscar, sorta like a caddy Sl.

Dropping the camaro just makes no sense to me, just do it right. As much as Gm thinks everyone and all chevy buyers wants an autonomous, hybridsed refridgerator on wheels, the fact is the self drive asprational evocative car is still in great demand. Theres a reason why porche still makes and is comited to 911s and caymans with Ice engines. Theres a reason why ford raptors sell even though a regular f150 is a far more practical and useful truck.

Going off point slightly, was crossing the street the other day when a CT6 pulled up to the light, its front end is really great and caught my eye, then it passed and the rest of the car was sorta meh, plus I know its a mwah sounding v6 with Gm interior bits, that car too could a really been something. But Gm thought they would sell it on supercruise and electronic gizmos.

They finally have the batwing v8 and are putting the car out to pasture. How about a 75 k batwing ct6 called a fleetwood or eldorado(i know they were 2 doors), same front end, but give the rest of the car some design presence no cue or extraneous electronics. You dont need a sedan to post better skidpad numbers than a BMW/merc, just have decent cohernat handling, with good resolved ride, nice build(which caddy has) inspirational styling, nice quality interior with some inspired design, and an evocative motor. Thats a car thats a better bet than an overpriced merc(which are kinda cheap inside these days), or marshmellow Lexus.

Heres the example about Gm and its functional problem.. Caddy has had cue for how many years, and it still sucks just not as bad as before. Meanwhile the new merc e class came with screens, but by year 2 you could order one with "classic guages" because enough consumers didnt like all screens. Honda went all screen for 1 years and then started bringing knobs back.

LARRYH, VAF84 and usshelena725 like this.
  10. usshelena725

usshelena725 Karting

Nov 22, 2014
    Johnson City, TN
    The high belt line is what is really killing sales, I believe. I wanted to buy the gen6 Camaro as a daily driver to replace my aging BMW E93. I heard such great things. Drove a 6MT with the 6cyl and also with the 2.0T. Loved the acceleration and handling, and the interior on the upper trim levels was actually quite nice for the price point. But that beltline. Man, I just couldn't see anything - it was to the point of being dangerous. I'm no stranger to cars that have blind spots, but this was just beyond any rationale idea. There was just no way that I could drive that car every day and not eventually hit something. In addition, that high belt line also made the proportions feel wrong. You have to sit so low in the car to avoid the roof that my ear was level with the bottom of the side window. It was ridiculous.

anunakki likes this.
  11. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    And meanwhile, sales are going to go down, down, down, down in 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Nobody wants to buy an orphan.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Can't stand the view from inside but a 2015 Z28 with A/C under $40k is a pretty tempting deal.

normv and of2worlds like this.
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would say very tempting. The one running at the Geln was doing 2.14 sec laps on street rubber , which is the same as some dude was doing in a 997 Gt3 Rs 4,0 a few years back.

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #14 jimmyb, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    GM is guilty of making a show car way back when (the 5th gen Camaro) and everyone went gaga. That show car got so much attention it was crazy. BUT...it was a "show car" with all the bad things that come with making it look bad ass on the show circuit (but not as a "real" car). The low roof/high beltline is what is killing the car.
    My C7 was in the shop last year and they gave me a 6th gen Camaro SS to drive for the day. Amazing car, performance/handling wise....truly!
    And I couldn't wait to take it back. Every curb, every driveway entry, every drive up teller window is a disaster waiting to happen. Wheel repair guys must make a handsome living repairing 5th/6th gen Camaro wheels that have been curbed.
    I know this is easy for me to say, but if they would just re-body the car with sensible proportions, it would work, IMO. They've got all the hard stuff (performance/handling/etc) done, just make the thing livable.
    I know it's not fashionable to call him out, but Ed Welburn was the guy in charge of styling and led this high beltline thing. Current Impalas have it, all the Cadillacs, etc.

of2worlds, jm2 and Eric R like this.
  15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Fully agree. My son has an '18 SS 1LE with a manual. I drove it to work one day to see what it was like to live with. Performance was good but it needs more power to carry the weight IMO. Otherwise, I could not see out of it, blind spots everywhere and I felt like the roof line was on my head. Side view mirrors were too small to do anything. You have to rely on auto detection devices to really know whats around you. Took it back and have no desire to drive it again. But it sure does look good in the driveway and that blue color is striking.

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    [QUOTE="jimmyb, post: 146681317, member: 27980"
    I know this is easy for me to say, but if they would just re-body the car with sensible proportions, it would work, IMO. They've got all the hard stuff (performance/handling/etc) done, just make the thing livable.
    [/QUOTE]
    How about something like this? Drive the car of your childhood dreams as your daily driver!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

definitelysomeday likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    How about something like this? Drive the car of your childhood dreams as your daily driver!

View attachment 2787393 [/QUOTE]
    No, just no. :eek:

18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

'55 & '56 are just so much better looking.

19. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    About a year ago I almost purchased a 2015 Z/28 with no air and around 2,400 miles. They would have taken around 37/38K. I was almost ready to buy and make the offer upon successful completion of a PPI. The Chevy salesman mentioned that the car had a GM program motor. The original motor had blown. Thanks but no thanks.

20. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The problem is it's ugly. If they made it as good looking as it drove it would be a different story.
    The facelift is proof. It's even uglier.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lets afce it, with how good the Challenger charger and mustang are, how well they cover the bandwidth, its not like the camaro will be sorely missed. The current camaro asnwers a question no one is asking. Too small too cramped and yet way too heavy. The platform is really dynamicaly good, it would make a great 2+2 cadillac with different styling and great interior, or a really nice 2+2 sportscar, its just not a muscle car, its fishing in the wrong pond.

energy88 likes this.
  22. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    It hasn't been too long ago that there were rumors of the next generation car following the style of the 2nd generation Camaro.