812 Spider or SVJ Roadster? | FerrariChat

812 Spider or SVJ Roadster?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nycbrose, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

SVJ Roadster or 812 Spider?

1. 812 Spider

82.0%
  2. SVJ Roadster

18.0%
  1. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    My L dealer just called and I have 2 days to confirm a build slot they've secured for an SVJ Roadster. However, with the recent rumors that an 812 Spider is coming in September it has me wondering if I should just pass it up. I understand this type of question is completely subjective, as people have different needs, etc., but I'd love to get the community's insight and feedback before I make a final decision.

Initial reaction for me is that SVJ is going to be very fun to drive (for a bit), but not necessarily a keeper. I've also heard rumors that there is going to be yet another model on the Aventador platform that is a true "final" version. Value/depreciation is important in my decision as well. Last NA V12 is interesting as a selling point, but so is the 812 supposedly, with the added "bonus" that there hasn't been a production open top V12 from Ferrari in quite some time. Both cars will probably have GPFs since we're talking about 2020+ delivery.

Hard choices... please help =)

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I passed on the L last week.

A few months ago I asked my F dealer to put me down for the 812 gts as a swap out for my Pista.

I think the last svj roadster is better looking and has more theater, even if it is slower.

I’m not a fan of the gearbox at all in the AV, esp after owning the Perf S.

Depreciation....both will lose value. Maybe a 458 spider which has lost most already?

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Easy choice. 812 Spider. I don't like one single thing about the Lambo, not even the sound

Be aware that there's absolutely no guarantee that the 812 will be the last n/a V12 Ferrari. At least that's what I've been told and I know someone has also been told in Maranello.

They will both depreciate as none ofvthem will become collectibles any time soon.
    From where I sit, it seems like the Lambo crowd is more interested in the latest and greatest. So like so many modern era Lambos, I'm sure the SVJ will quickly be forgotten and replaced with the latest pop phenomena.

Did I mention I'm not much of a Lambo fan?...

sidewalk, adci and of2worlds like this.
  4. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I totally agree. I had a '14 Aventador and drove the Huracan shortly after. The dual-clutch gearbox was life changing. I'm both surprised and disappointed that the SVJ still uses ISR, as it would have made this decision almost a no-brainer had the car been updated. Oh, and, still no bluetooth music. :D

But perhaps unassisted? Not sure how much that distinction is worth though. Purists will eventually run out of old things to buy?

This would also be a much easier decision if the 812 will confirmed come with a mechanical hard top. Getting/putting the roof on the L roadster is a PITA.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    prety much a given it will have a 488 style folding roof.

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    First this is a very good dilemma to have!

Can one secure an allocation for the 812 spider?. In the US market, 812 coupe deliveries have been a slow trickle with many delays. And the emission restriction time-clock is already ticking: eating up the window for production of all the NA V12s.

So an 812 spider might be late 2020 for the US or even early 2021.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Here in Europe one can secure an allocation once they open up the books which should be before the summer holiday. But Maranello has a few demands in terms of current ownership, usage of current cars, Corse Pilota and whether or not one is a Challenge driver. Owning a single FF, F12, 812 or Lusso is not going to do it, far from it, it seems.
    I recently helped a friend and relative figuring out what he needed as he is setting himself up for an 812 VS in the future - an 812 Spider is part of that equation. And with his history which is already pretty good, Maranello still wants him to own a new GT 2+2 i,e, Lusso or Porto, as he had just sold his FF. I don't want to divulge any more info here as it is not my place to do so with private matters. He's a member here, and he can chime in if he wants to.

high revs, of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #8 MalibuGuy, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    I think that given the pent-up demand for cars, Ferrari should not pressure customers to buy their least popular car (s) Instead they should sell more of the models people want. And that isn’t difficult to forecast.

Maybe too much ego with the decision makers who bet that the FF and Lusso would be a smashing success. We’ve all been there—3 am at the tables, and now you find yourself doubling down on bad cards!

After All Ferrari wants to sell more cars each year.RACE stock is only going to grow if volume and profits grow.

As far as creating qualifying steps, why make it a guessing game. Enrollment in Pilota, participate in Challenge Racing, support F1 Scuderia Team, or else own a sizable chunk of RACE.

Forcing you to buy a car that you don’t want—that is a weird demand. Ferrari—why don’t you make more cars that the customer wants instead?

9. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    No allocation yet, but only one more purchase is practical in the near future, so have to decide which one to focus on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Would love to find out more via PM...

Is it usual that EU can get their orders way ahead of the US? Or is it a matter of top client privilege?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I think that a foldable hardtop is far superior to a canvas top in a modern convertible.

If the 812 spider is using the same brilliant panel design as the 458 and 488 ( in contrast to the more clumsy Portofino) that’s all you need to know!

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Can't tell you any more than I already posted, and it's not my place to do so if I could. At the end of the day, these allocations are hard to come by, and he and I are simply crossing our fingers for him to get one. Nothing has been promised and nothing is absolute at this point. I'm sure different dealers and different locations along with dealer affiliations will determine what is needed to secure an allocation.

But generally speaking, I think EU order books open before the US order books, but I may be mistaken. However, I'm sure they are not far apart if one open before the other.. As for client privs. Possibly. Bu I'm not entirely sure what actually defines top clients these days.

The reason why I speculate that the order books will open before the holidays, is because the showing is in September, as per what this forum has stated. Some dealers will start taking orders usually some time prior to reveals, so late July early August simply strikes me as plausible.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I think I'll pass on the SVJ...

F2003-GA likes this.
  14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Easy.
    Aventador is completely undriveable for me, can't even get in.

nycbrose likes this.
  15. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I prefer Ferrari to Lamborghini as well, but Lamborghini's recent Polo Storico draws parallels to Ferrari Classiche. The 350/400 GT, Miura, LM002, Countach all have interest currently.

16. sidewalk

sidewalk Rookie

Oct 6, 2018
    Ontario/New York
    Full Name:
    SM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    It does look amazing, but nobody wants to take its depreciation hit...

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Seems as though many have passed on this one. Esp since there is another “last of” still coming.

19. Actualizer

Actualizer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

IMHO... the comparison of SVJ with 812 is not a valid one.
    Two different machines.
    Even if you start with the basics...you want to be clear whether you’re looking for a Daily Driver or not. SVJ is not a DD. It’s an unelegant iconic monster of a car unlike the 812.
    I’m booked for a 812 Aperta heading to Marenallo for it’s unveiling next month.
    I’m sure it’ll be an iconic beauty !

20. Terzeus1

Terzeus1 Karting
    BANNED

Jul 3, 2019
    Czech Republik
    Full Name:
    Karel Steiner
  21. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    the real unknown with all of the modern Ferraris is if the game is still worth it.

Being asked to buy/ own cars that will result in a financial loss that you wouldn't have considered JUST so you might get a car that might make you whole (financially) is perhaps not so smart. And this is coming from someone who lost big on a Lusso partially to get a Pista.

I would NOT do it again.

The guy who bought my Pista from the dealer paid over MSRP, but all in the MSRP+ price he paid was less than my total cash outlay. He is into the Pista for less than I was.

Dealer wanted to have me wash, rinse repeat for more allocations...I had enough.

Buy in the secondary market and avoid the dealer induced stress.

It's also possible that the days of the 'special' cars are over. FAR too many 'special LE' cars for sale/ coming for sale. It's all fake constrained supply to leverage more dollars out of our pockets.

rbryson, DRYHOLE, F2003-GA and 5 others like this.
  22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes, Yes, and Yes

DRYHOLE, 9nb, nycbrose and 1 other person like this.
  23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I got the same feeling as well.
    The guy who got the LaF with huge premium still loses less than the original owner who had to go through buying unwanted cars.
    It is just higher entry fee.

So, other than you are noticed and taken care of as long as you buy every cars and don’t flip by Ferrari, you don’t add value to your financial status or to your life of ‘do what your heart tell you to’.

I am done with this too. Sure I will buy V12 FR Ferraris as long as they are out there but not other cars if I don’t make money flipping it. I don’t care if I make up to Top level. I am VIP and I am always within 5th on the line for new cars. I miss old days when there are smaller choices and your long term commitment mattered....

You buy all 5-7 cars within 3 years without selling any of them and you have better chance to make up TOP than VIPs like me who constantly buy cars but sell them quick for minimal loss.

In short, my pocket is not deep enough when Ferrari sees me. Fine. Whatever. I will enjoy as is than worrying about how to make TOP to get the ultimate allocation.

I am done.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA likes this.
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Does Ferrari management hear that stampeding sound? It used to be the sound of rampante Italian stallions. Now it is the sound of ex-VIP clienti heading for the exits.

DRYHOLE, j09333 and F2003-GA like this.