Buying a Ferrari 360 on a budget: my experiences, the myths and the pitfalls | Page 7 | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #151 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    What's started as a tremendously honest post about one's personal experienced devolved into a manifesto about how Ferrari of the era should be. Strong opinion are expected.

I look forward to his acquisition of stated sorted 360 above so he can pontificate about the experience, I do hope he keeps it longer than 60 days this time.

Also, if history is to be a guide, he has lamented that every previous deal has ended with the seller ultimately telling him to leave them alone, going as far as lying about the availability of the said car.

After reading his posts, I can fully understand why.

Apollo 11, vrsurgeon and Skidkid like this.
  2. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    HA!! Brilliant!!!

Kevin

paulchua likes this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #153 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Arrghh! But can't deny results! Hamilton is the real deal.

kes7u and LightGuy like this.
  4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #154 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Ironically, if I follow correctly, he had a stinker of a 360 and got rid of it after 60 days.

Yet, he seems to want to get back in the Ferrari saddle, with the same model no less...so something must have been revelatory positive about the experience.

If it were me, I would have kept the 360 and sorted it myself; all the while documenting the experience and sharing with the 360 community*

*How to win friends and influence people.

5. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Exactly, If the body and chassis are original along with the engine and all straight no prangs, well it’s a car get on with it, go in the shed and tinker
    Surely that’s half the fun

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

imahorse and paulchua like this.
  6. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #156 knocker, Jun 26, 2019
    I’m sure you already know but just in case,
    “Aldous voice” is extremely useful
    Eurospares for parts (uk)
    Most Magna Marelli parts are identical to units used in Alfa Romeo:ie F1 pump and motor £160 ish at a good Alfa shop as opposed to £300 on evil bay I’m in Oz and order most of my stuff from the uk or US

paulchua likes this.
  7. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    EXACTLY. Couldn't agree more with this. Working and sorting out your own Ferrari has been one of my pleasures and hobbies. It truly connects you more to the car inside and out literally. Also, you get to meet and socialize with like minded individuals such as you fine gentlemen.

Learning what, why, and how things break, and ultimately how to fix it is very gratifying.

knocker and imahorse like this.
  8. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    So true, my first job and it’s a pretty important one for beginners was removing the door card to sort the very simple door lock problem saving a grand because it is time consuming but all this basic knowledge is on YouTube or Aldous Voice and it not only saves money but it’s very interesting and fun working on your Ferrari and it truly connects you to the car ( I’m not a professional ,I give belt services to my mechanic,

kes7u and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #159 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Well said, friend. In defense of the OP, he might hate getting his hands dirty himself, or may not have the time or space, or not enjoy what can be tedious work. It's not everybody's cup of tea, and that's fine, doesn't make him less of an enthusiast. Many of my friends prefer exotics that are literally 'turn key' cars that just 'works.' That's usually expensive, though, which is not compatible with the frugal approach the OP seeks.

I believe the phrase is 'have cake and eat it too?'

Or in this case; "I want an inexpensive AND reliable 360 NOW, that is completely sorted and will be reliable for the long term."

We all can wish can we not? It just takes one dream, one hope, one passion. It is after all the mantra of this forum's namesake.

When our friend returns, let's add our other personal desires for the world, I mean, why stop in the niche microcosm of Ferrari?

Let me start.

"I want immortality, and am quite tired of hearing from scientists that's impossible right now."

Of course, our dear friend will retort, "And the "world just is," if you choose to accept it is..
    I happen to think simply accepting things in life is essentially how you die. And I ain't dead yet.
    "

Touche' Rosso_United_1999 well played...well said.

One has no choice but to concede to your point with the clarity of such a rebuttal.

Apollo 11, imahorse and knocker like this.
  10. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Well as long as I’m above ground I’ll have a red hot go

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    HAHAHAHA

12. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    paulchua likes this.
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Been chasing a slow speed rumble in my 99' 360 with 44k miles. Looks like I need knew engine mounts. Crap, gonna cost $320 + shipping. Maybe I should just sell. Any takers at $80K (my insurance agreed value). Probably be just a bunch of tire kickers at that price, so will likely not sell for 3-4 yrs (and then will have another 20k miles and 30 or more track days on it;).

vrsurgeon, Apollo 11 and paulchua like this.
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Why the "hate" ?
    Would you prefer no topic at all ?

Lots of knowledge to be had from whats been posted already.

paulchua likes this.
  15. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Because coming in here, acting like you know everything, and telling everyone how it should be is a poor approach to gaining respect from anyone in any situation in life.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #166 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    I know right? I don't know why Rosso_United_1999 claims that "The brainlessness and lack of comprehension is definitely strong here, I have to say.."
    or that a member here "need lessons again in comprehension. [sic] Yknow the ones you did at school? When you were 10?"

Heavens, what made you think that? I've been enjoying wholeheartedly responding to his assertions, and very much look forward to his responses.

Totally agreed! Exactly why I was surprised to see "Rossa_United_1999" proclaim some responses here are brainless and lack of comprehension. Why do you think he disagrees with you and I?

arizonaitalian and Apollo 11 like this.
  17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Simple answer is he likely doesn’t own nor has ever owned a 360, despite his assertions. He WISHES they were $35k and cheap to keep. He even claimed that he is now buying a clean well sorted 360 for “way under $50k”. We all know there that there isn’t a clean well sorted car way under 50 unless it is a salvage title.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Apollo 11 and paulchua like this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #168 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Dustin,

Are you suggesting that a prospective 360 buyer engaging with actual longtime owners of 360s be a bit more humble, versus accusing them of lacking comprehension & brainless about the said topic; and that in fact, it is him, the owner of a ratty 360 for 60 days that can bestow upon us all "the truth?"

That is a radical concept, my friend.

Apollo 11 and imahorse like this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #169 paulchua, Jun 26, 2019
    He started his treatise by claming the market is all out of whack, full of wailing about the injustice of it, yet by Jesus's entombment length, finds a car within his view of the proper market value.

Talk about discordant suppositions.

Skidkid likes this.
  20. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #170 Rosso_United_1999, Jun 26, 2019
    An "outlier" or a car that's likely to sell. I guess it's all down to interpretation.

Today I see another red spec car with under 50k miles reduced from 65k to around 57k

This car has been on sale since last winter (or longer).

Just saying what I'm seeing.

For what it's worth, I think it's a shame that more of these cars can't be driven by everyday petrol heads as opposed to being touted as appreciating assets. I think the makers of these cars would prefer that to be the intention.

21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I asked him to describe his prior ownership experience, telling us about the car (price, issues, etc), but he never responded and I can't find anything in the previous 6 pgs where he gave any specifics.

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #172 paulchua, Jun 27, 2019
    Yes, these cars are worth well below $50,000, make sure you tell that to these suckers that bought them in the last 6 months. (this just represents a few PUBLIC auction sales in 2019) I literally have thousands of data points on sale history, but hey, what do I know that you don't already know?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yes, everybody on this 360 forum don't drive their cars, in fact all of them bought it as investments to sell 20 years later. None of them are everyday petrol heads, only you are the true enthusiast here that would drive the car, and we are just ruining the market for legit car guys like you, my apologies.

Below is Hagerty's price history. If you ask me, pretty stable. Could it go down? (of course!) Or it could stay flat, or it could go up. Keep that in mind as you commiserate with the guy that agonized about it (like you today) but ten years ago when this chart started.

In the meantime, the fine gentlemen here will enjoy the wail of nearly 9,000 RPM redline of the Tipo 131, the last Dino Engine for the next 10 years as you work on your 360 buyer's guide.

Btw that bottom line represents 'bottom of barrel' vehicle, top line best of best.

You really should lurk here a bit more. There are times when it's better to listen over assuming you are the expert about a topic, especially when addressing experienced folks about matters you have minimal knowledge of.

Attached Files:

randkin and Raconteur like this.
  23. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    paulchua likes this.
  24. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    And before I moved to OZ I lived in Sunnybank not far from Heaton pk, If I knew you that would be hilarious, don’t be put off by your first negative experience with these cars mate they’re usually pretty reliable I think you’ve had the worst of it, go and look for another and perhaps not a 1999 model try and get 2001 onwards,when they’re sorted and work well they are incredibly rewarding to own
    Good luck kind regards Adrian

paulchua likes this.
  25. Jeffg11

Jeffg11 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 31, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff Grabowski
    @paulchua seems to have covered just about everything. I think the only thing I can add is........

#ENJOYING

Buy a car, maintain it, drive it, enjoy it, and expect to fix something you didn’t plan on.

Raconteur, knocker and paulchua like this.