Getting too much attention? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Getting too much attention?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Superdog0013, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I had a similar experience with my silver Urus. It was surprising as I thought it looked kind of like a Lexus SUV with all the angles.

Rami Hajjar likes this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LA to BigSur and back down the coast this week in the Perf S....100% love and appreciation, unlike the ferrari experiences I had.

Loved it.

Coincid likes this.
  3. Evo X

Evo X Karting

Jun 16, 2018
    Chicago
    I drive my 458 so much that I sometimes forget how special it is.

I was getting some groceries the other day, just crusing in comfort auto mode and some guy driving next to me in a VW starts freaking out about how sick my car looks and sounds. Lol.

I'm sure my Rosso Corsa on black with bucket seats, almost every carbon option, and valveless race exhaust isn't exactly subtle.

Usually I'm so focused on driving that I never really look around at others, but once you notice, there sure are a lot of stares, pointing, and phones out snapping pics and video.

I'm in Chicago suburbs and the response is mostly positive, apart from the occasional jealous tool making gestures or small dick comment.

4. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    Younger generation isn't really aware of the Ferrari pedigree/prestige. On the other hand Lambo has made it's way into the younger generation through rap videos, super hero movies, social media, young/rich Hollywood stars and more. In addition, a lot of Youtube gamers, personalities etc.., who have tens of millions of subscribers. Go out and buy a Lambo and make content out of the fact as well. This perpetuates to the younger generation that Lambo is hip/cool and rockstar like. I think it's wise of Ferrari to now allocate a certain percentage of first time buyers that can just walk in and get/order an F8. There are a lot of young people with money nowadays compared to when we were growing up. Build that brand loyalty. With Ferrari producing more models and cars because of being a public company. My opinion is they need to preserve their past while figuring out a way to expand and broaden their image successfully to the younger generation.

willcrook, VAF84 and NuorderSG like this.
  5. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Im waiting for the "why not get a tesla?" Seems worse than the lambo comparison.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

LOL, only in California.....where gardeners and the help get paid in stock options!

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Some of these comments about the hostility exotics engender, would cause one to hesitate in owning one. However, my experience has been 100% positive. Not a single negative comment or gesture. I have been told I do look somewhat menacing.

perrinnation and MANDALAY like this.
  8. ScuderiaDane

ScuderiaDane Rookie

Jun 18, 2019
    Copenhagen
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Every time I drive my Scud I have people taking pictures. Still finds it quite funny to see people jumping out in front of me in central Copenhagen, to get a shoot of the car.

In Denmark it’s not normal to see cars like Ferrari’s, Lambo’s etc due to our heavy 150% taxes on cars. Currently we have under a 1000 Ferrari’s and approx 150 Lambo’s.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I think this is usually the case but occasionally you will run across some miserable people who just hate on others.

BaronM69 likes this.
  10. nycbrose

nycbrose Karting

Aug 11, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    This already happens in Seattle lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I really love living in the Midwest. I was sitting outside at a restaurant on Saturday and a guy comes out and asks if it’s my car. I say yes and he ASKS if he can look at it! Of course you can look at it. Then a worker comes out and ASKS If she can take a picture, of course you can.

Dapuma, VAF84, perrinnation and 5 others like this.
  12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    • Let pretty much everyone who asks sit in them
    • Take pictures
    • Rides without question for friends, friends of friends, family of friends
    • Even given short rides to strangers
    I try and be a good brand ambassador and promote education and entrepreneurship. On more than a dozen occasions "how did you get that?!" has turned into a brainstorming session. I usually tell them to develop one solid technical skill or trade, get sales experience, and then comfortable managing others. Then give it at least 10 years. Whether it's medicine, tech, electrician or plumbing, that is a safe recipe.

13. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I am as well. However sometimes you just get those irritating people. Like when at the pump and someone walks up at blurts out: "how much did that car cost?" My answer: a lot. Another one: "what do you do?" My answer: I'm a professional car thief. Usually they get the message at that point, which is don't be so flippantly rude.

EastMemphis likes this.
  14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I get a lot of that question. I would answer, "I can't tell you ... even my wife doesn't know." The person would laugh and walks away.

15. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Love it!

16. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    I get lots of good attention in my rosso 458. People are pretty much always nice and sometimes even say congrats.. its actually been very surprising how positive people have been.

However, I get a lot more looks in my Lotus Exige. Everyone looks at that car, and instantly they know different.. where as with the 458 it takes them a split second to realize it's something special.

17. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #92 gzachary, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Yes I have experienced the same in the Bay Area and SF. But I find it is model specific and location specific. With the 812, I never get any haters at all. Mostly people who don't notice or who do and are very nice. With the 458, people in the Bay Area are usually really nice, except in SF where for no reason I have had a kid attempt to throw a skateboard at the car, other 20s age kids cursing at the car, and a twice... hateful "you are the kind of person that hates the environment.". So I never drive to SF with it.

With the Pista, unbelievable positive response everywhere but I have not driven it into SF purely from those negative 458 experiences. So for sure, Pista will never visit SF.

So the hate incidents are roughly 4 times out of a 100 in 8 years in dense portions of SF. So I now avoid SF with any F car now.

Bundy likes this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Nothing would surprise me in SF. Polar opposite reaction of those between 3 - 30 in Canada. Nothing but love and huge smiles.

Bundy likes this.
  19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    SUVs and Teslas are the worst. One day I came across the typical SUV hogging the left lane on a multi-lane freeway. I didn’t tailgate or even flash my lights. He wouldn’t move over, so when I had an opportunity, I passed him and didn’t go back to the left lane until I could see him in my inside mirror, easily several car lengths or more.

So what did he do? He flashed his lights furiously and sped up until he was on my bumper. I moved over to let him by, so he did, then promptly cut in front of me and hit his brakes. Of course I was prepared and even if I wasn’t, my car easily could out-stop him. But WTF!?

Every fourth Tesla pulling alongside at a stoplight will zoom off, no doubt laughing all the way. Yes, welcome to Silicon Valley.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Just today I was coming off the highway to an underpass exit at 1:30am, after a spirited run on an empty three lane beltway. Five highway patrol cars at the exit, lights on. After the immediate fear someone called me in had subsided :p I saw that they had pulled over an older Olds with a UT plate... must have been a chase or a felony warrant or something serious to call everyone over.

Anyway, as I'm very slowly turning left past the officers and going under the freeway one officer says "oh **** check it out!" And another makes eye contact with me and cheers, "Hit it! Hit it! Hit it!!!" Pumping a fist.

Honestly, I was paralyzed with confusion: Do they want me to *really* punch it and launch? Or just noise? There are a ton of young cops standing there. Is this a trap?

I pulled the paddles to neutral and revved to 9k a few times in the underpass, which made it nice and loud. Then slooooowly moved on like a church mouse.

VAF84, tekaefixe, Il Tifoso and 4 others like this.
  22. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Every Ferrari should have a dash cam. :D

NuorderSG and dustman like this.
  23. Zombies

Zombies Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    In my Model X on the 5, a cop was in front of me and was speeding like crazy. So I figured he was a “cool cop” and started following behind him at 90. He slowed down so I slowed down, then he crunched it to 90 again so I sped back up. He turned on his lights and pulled me over from the front.

He walked over and said, “What’s wrong with you? I slowed down in case you were just dense, but when I sped back up you just kept following. What were you thinking?”

During traffic school to purge that ticket, I vowed never to misinterpret CHP’s actions. Good job not gunning it.

Thecadster, NuorderSG, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  24. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #99 ryalex, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    A few years ago in Utah in my 355 a cop yelled to me "bet you can't even do a burnout in that thing!" And I asked him, "You know I was wondering what you would do if you dare me do a burnout and then I do a burnout?!"

"I'd probably arrest you!" He shouted back. Okay then.

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same, Oregon in 458.

Zombies and ryalex like this.