F355 F1 Starter (enable) Relay Location Query | FerrariChat

F355 F1 Starter (enable) Relay Location Query

Discussion in '348/355' started by Qavion, Jun 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not a problem folks, just curiosity/general interest...

On an F355 F1 car, the F1 TCU (Transmission Control Unit) can inhibit engine start via a relay inline with the starter motor circuit. I'm just wondering where it is on the F1 car. I don't believe it is one of the 3 relays near the TCU on the cabin bulkhead, so I'm guessing it is in the passenger footwell or elsewhere.

There is diode box as part of the inhibit/enable circuit which appears to be under the dash, possibly in the passenger footwell so it may be near this. The F1 system has 4 relays, but there are only 3 relays shown in a workshop manual diagram and in the parts manual.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/electronic-gearbox-control-valid-for-355-f1-cars.html

Item #12 "REVERSE GEAR RELAY" (Puts on reversing lights when reverse is selected)
    Item #13 "RELAY ALT AMP" (F1 Pump relay?)
    Item #14 "CONTROL STATION RELAY" (TCU power relay)

Does the F1 Driver's Handbook show the location of the starter enable/inhibit relay?

Thanks
    Cheers!

P.S. The starter relay is controlled by TCU pin 30 as shown in the following wiring diagram (version 12)

F1 System Wiring Diagram

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think I've found it. It's behind the F1 fuses, mounted on the passenger footwell relay panel (far right hand side on LHD car).

Hope the original owner of this photo doesn't mind me posting his photo here:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bosch relay part number 0332019103

.. and thanks to Ricambi.

Cheers

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I believe thats where it is as well Ian

Qavion likes this.
  4. huzilulu

huzilulu Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2011
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Huzi Husain
    Question on the F1 Starter: if I am doing a compression test and would like to use a remote starter like the one pictured below, where would be a good place to connect the remote starter to turn the engine over? Can i go direct from the battery distribution box on the rear right to the starter motor jump pin? Or do I need to worry about the F1/ECU/TCU to run the compression test? Thansk!

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Good question. I suppose the computers wouldn't care if the ignition was off. Just make sure you are in neutral (or the rear wheels are off the ground).

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Why not just use the ignition key without hitting the alarm button as the car turns over fine and won’t start

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I guess it depends on the testing kit. Do you need to hold the compression tester in place when cranking? Are you working alone?

8. huzilulu

huzilulu Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2011
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Huzi Husain
    I ended up using the tester with the battery connection as described above - connected the tester to the battery switch on the rear right panel, and to the starter solenoid wire... plugs out, compression tester connected to one cylinder.... held the remote starter for 5 seconds per cylinder and did the compression test... 165psi-185psi for all 8 cylinders (cold engine) with 5 seconds on the remote starter...

I did have to keep the battery plugged into my bigger 12V charger to keep it at close to 100% during the entire test...

Qavion likes this.