355 - Alternator install help | FerrariChat

355 Alternator install help

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

im replacing the alternator in my 95. I got the alternator out and now reinstalling but having problem with the belt. No matter how much I adjust the tensioner I can't get enough slack in the belt to get it on the pulley.
    If I put belt on pulley first and the insert bolts I can't get to top nut. Is there something wrong with my tensioner. I had trouble getting belt off.

2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #2 Jackie and bill, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Thats just how they are. There is a knack to it.
    This is my way. I attach the tensioner bearing carrier with the x3 13mm nuts to the engine block. I do not put the tensioner bearing its self onto the spigot until the belt is on all the pulleys. Only then do i put the tensioner bearing onto the spigot from under so its pushing up on the belt in its intended way at the same time as sliding it on to the spigot. Then put on the bearing nut. Hope this makes sense.
    Remember to turn your tensioner to its loosest position which is CLOCKWISE. Anti clockwise tightens the bearing/belt.
    This may seem strange to read, but its correct, clockwise=loosen, anti.=tighten.
    Hope this makes sense and helps.
    This is only the way i have always done this procedure, others may have different methods that they may offer.

3. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Took nut off the tensioner bearing but bearing won't come off spigot.

4. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    You might still be running the original bearing. Because we know it should just slide of the spigot, and assuming you have tried a pry bar and penetrating fluid ect. You might have no choice but to take of the whole unit and press it out with a vice and maybe replace the bearing center, there not much $£.
    While its of, clean and grease the rear threaded parts of the adjuster.
    There are two kinds of belt tensiomer, one is a whole unit (plastic maybe?, i cant recall) were the bearing centre cant be removed. The other is a metal one were the bearing slips into the center.

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I think I need to remove whole unit. It won't move even with penetrating oil and prying. In your method of installing the belt, how to you push the belt up with the pulley onto the spigot. Seems like not enough room. Do you just slide tensioner bearing forward on the spigot and let the belt fall behind bearing and then pushing bearing further back on spigot while pushing belt up. I have studs holding the metal unit so can't get unit on or off and clear studs. What a poor job of engineering by Ferrari. Something like a simple belt change is a major deal. If belt was 1/4 inch longer, no problem.

6. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Tell me about it. But it's not just Ferrari though. I'm in the Industrial/Mechanical business now after being in the automotive world for 12 years and can tell you that some of the designs that are generated in the Engineering world would embarrass me if I was an Engineer. I think that it is a result of people designing on CAD and other computers and just sending it off. There is no more hands on like in the old days. I would bet that if you pulled the powertrain design engineers out of their offices and asked them to remove a component that should only take 15 minutes, but actually take 4 hours, they might do their job differently. But I do not blame them only, because I know that the corporate structure has made their job that way and all the corporations care about is profits, and not how difficult it is to service a vehicle after it has been sold to the public. Sad but true. I have been personally involved in the installation of some Mechanical designs that just flat-out did not work. Not on paper and not in reality. And the real shame was that the customer got the short end of the stick, because there is very little recourse for a botched design, other than the Engineering firm to attempt to cobble the system to try and get it to work-somewhat. But that is the world we live in today. :oops:

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL

I do exactly this^ If the pulley won't slide off of the stud I would start there, should give you the clearance needed.

8. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Yes thats correct, its some times hard to explain mechanical procedures while typing on a phone. But yes thats what i do.

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Got everything off, studs removed, tensioner off with some light tapping. Order new bearing and screw. Thanks everybody for you help.

taz355 likes this.
  10. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Your welcome mate :)

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I know its too late but i believe i used a prybar made of wood to pry alternator down and then put bolt through.
    I only pryed on the bolt casting not actually the alternator because of risk of damage.