Loose steering column on Scuderia's? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Loose steering column on Scuderia's?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bp's 08 Scud, Jun 16, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MATEI GHELESEL

Nov 26, 2017
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    MATEI GHELESEL
    I did yes. what a relief! I also had the outer spherical ball joints removed and inspected to be sure they don't have excessive wear. the rears were bad and needed replacing but the fronts were OK. my Ferrari dealer had me freaking out thinking I needed new shaft or possibly rack......just had to tighten the H nut ! boom!

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Subscribed

Sent from my 16M

3. MATEI GHELESEL

Nov 26, 2017
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    MATEI GHELESEL
    sure did yes. got it off my lift last nite and took it for a burn. MINT condition!

4. fstbiker

fstbiker Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2012
    New Jersey
    How much should you turn your nut and will you always get a dash light?

5. MATEI GHELESEL

Nov 26, 2017
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    MATEI GHELESEL
    pretty sure that's a yes on the dash light....as far as turning the nut, I've read that at least 2 turns.....but mine required 3. it's a bit of a feel game, so start with 1 turn try it out on the road and then iterate until it's good to go. be mindful that you should be able to tighten with one hand only, you don't need to reef on it ! some of the previous chats have the correct torque spec posted, so I recommend you go thru the old data.

6. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Reviving an old thread. I believe I have developed the same slight steering looseness. I tried to turn this H bolt and it wouldn't budge... I wonder what I'm missing. When I hear some getting 1/2 turn or even multiple turns, mine wouldn't give any :-(

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #57 CoreyNJ, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    on my 2009, I thought I might get away with the tightening of the nut, but I had to order the shaft with the u joints, about $2000 USD. I'm told it's 15 minute install. My mechanic will do it Christmas week when hopefully my new exhaust get installed. In my case, I think it was the use of slicks by the previous owner for his track days that caused the wear. I only have about 2 or 3 degrees of play, but with steering (and brakes), I will never cheap out on having it perfectly correct.

8. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I should have also specified, this is on a 360. I don't see a steering angle sensor there...

9. replica469

replica469 Rookie

Jun 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Lim
    Hello everyone, I am a few months old owner of a California'12 from Singapore. I am quite intrigued by this thread.

I used to own a 2 year old Maserati Ghibli. It had a funny play in the steering. Over the course of two years of ownership, the dealer changed the steering rack & I changed many of the control arms/anti roll bar, as well as numerous alignments. Never really sorted out the problem & sold it.

Now driving the California, I find a similar play in the steering (towards the left always feels a bit more loose) - frustrating. Not sure if it is due to the crowning in the roads but my other german cars audi/macan don't seem to have this problem.

I wonder if this wonderful fix to tighten the column will also apply to my model?

https://www.scuderiacarparts.com/part-finder/ferrari/california/oe/345/2647/49652

Picture above is a diagram of the steering column.

I might consider changing the steering column as a last resort too.

Thanks in advance and take care during this period.

Warmest regards.

Kenneth

10. bzubi

bzubi Karting

May 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Full Name:
    Bashar Zubi
    Would the Launch x431 be able to do the above?

11. MichaelMatic

MichaelMatic Karting

Dec 19, 2020
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Michael D
    Bump from the dead!

I’ve been working in the pedal box and have the lower steering column cover currently removed. I’m wondering exactly this. Can the x431 reset/calibrate this?

12. vr4henry

vr4henry Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I reset with a Foxwell NT630 - I think the x431 is generally more capable

MichaelMatic likes this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, it can.

MichaelMatic likes this.
  14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My 430 had the same problem. But steering wheel movement was the same as the movement at the shaft through the floor. I dug into the front trunk till I got to the rack which can be adjusted for freeplay. Be careful you don't over do it if this is your issue or the car will continue round a corner when you let the steering wheel go. This may not be every ones problem, but it solved mine.