Need help picking a used F12 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Need help picking a used F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by sl55, Jun 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Here she is:

Thank you to everyone on this thread for the help

I will post more pictures tomorrow.

The car is in excellent condition, I couldn't believe the condition of the paint in particular, I use to polish paint when I was younger and looked for swirl marks and defect in full sun, and almost nothing. A very light polish will make the paint look "wet" and perfect. No need for Wet compounding/heavy polish.

The interior, again was in perfect condition, no scratch, the Cf is perfect, leather is excellent.

The car is fast, very responsive, and sounds great.

I struggled a bit with the 2 screens -Got the right one stuck on parking sensor (I am sure I am not the only one!) but figured it out...

Is it possible to have the Speed displayed in large digital format but on the left screen (not right)?

The cabin is very spacious, and the beige leather is very beautiful, rich and contrast very well with the GS paint (previous picture didn't do this combo justice).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

ryalex, sampelligrino, ChipG and 6 others like this.
  2. bluesea

bluesea Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    #177 bluesea, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Your heart must have been a flutter with anticipation during the unloading as mine was just now, as I viewed your pictures. What a gorgeous machine! GS and Beige make a great combo. I'm looking forward to seeing the interior, etc.

I can tell you have a lot of space where you live to enjoy a machine like that. :)

As far as the parking sensor/screen mystery, I have that t-shirt... Also, know that when the car is driving some screen options are locked out. I had this weird, safety thing where the Speed Limit Alert would come on when trying to access something else while driving.

daytona355 likes this.
  3. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Looking Great! Again Congrats!

On your question - can you have the big Speedo on the left.. Nope :(

Just the right. I have the sensors (usually oil/engine temp to the left, and big speedo to the right.) Push the arrow circle thingy on the left and you can cycle through tire temp/pressure, and PSI, etc. I usually keep it at Oil and Temp to see when I am warmed up when I start off.

Need some interior pics, looks really great, and was one of the colors I was looking at when I bought mine. Love it.

R J and daytona355 like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I thought you could have the speedo on the left (analog or digital) as long as you have the right TFT used for something else (e.g. audio or nav display):
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Beautiful car!!!!! The f12 is something else isn’t it. Absolutely stunning lines

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

sampelligrino likes this.
  6. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    You can but not the big one like you can on the right (filling the whole right screen).

7. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Today I took the car out and spend a few hours with my wife in it.

I am really happy with the car, compared tot he Mclaren it is much more civilized and refined. My wife was actually OK with the car, and she is 8 month pregnant and hates those kind of cars. A bit less attention, much better interior, and much easier to get in and out.

I am much more familiar with the cabin and electronics and have adapted to them.

Very surprise to have found out the car as a voice command function, I remember saying to my wife: " Its a ferrari, it will never work" -- The only car I own that works very good is the Mercedes.

I hit the command button and said:"enter destination" it took a while but the system replied: " address please" I thought to myself lucky, it will never get the address. I spelled out the address and sure enough it worked...

The beige leather is so rich, it make the cabin feel very special.

With my wife in the car I focused on driving slow and judging the "daily drivability" of the car and it was just a perfect special everyday car. I could just open her up to let me know the beautiful engine was still here and alive.

I also got a good kind of attention, with the darker grey it is not obvious for everyone how it is a special car, but if yo know or hear it, you will notice. Valet perked for lunch car was left in front etc.

Overall Super happy, Pictures of the interior coming soon

8. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Sad update: The car is at the local dealership's service department. Very heavy gasoline fume/smell from the garage into the house. Not visible leak on the floor.

removed the car from the garage and the fume cleared up in about 1 hour. It was very bad, the fume/smell got into the house...

Not very happy but hopefully the car is under warranty - I wonder what would have happened if the car wasn't, it is a CPO car, and shouldn't have an issue after the first drive.

Of course the local dealer is very busy and couldn't get to it today, and will hopefully tomorrow.

9. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think I mentioned, mine had a few issues as well (also from a dealer). I also wanted a few things done (PPF), etc. Work it out, it will be fine, drive it until it breaks, fix it and start again :)

I was driving mine today, and found out that my radio is now not working - thankfully I do not use it, so will get that worked on next time I am in. I figured I bought mine (2014) with less than 3K miles - had less than 800 miles per year put on it - in houston mind you - warm weather., most of the bugs are not worked out yet... I know have 5K miles on it and have had it 6 months (and 3 of those have been in Ohio winter).

10. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Absolutely Richard- I am not a very patient person to begin with, so after waiting a long 10 days to get the car, I am now waiting another TBD number of days.

I am confident it will get fix... I was just looking forward to driving it

This is torture! First world problem I know

11. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    F12 Strong fuel smell

Some discussion of this problem in this forum at the above link. Hope yours gets fixed soon.

12. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Thank you RJ-I forwarded to the my service Rep.

R J likes this.
  13. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Service rep just called and they ordered a new "neck filled" (?) or something like that - When he called I was at lunch and didn't really hear.

Part should have arrived this afternoon and hopefully installed tomorrow.

The fabric from the trunk cover (bottom part) was unglued, they are going to get an estimate from their upholstery store and submit to Italy to either approve or send a new part.

I just want my car back now! :)

14. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    The trunk cover fabric, comes unglued a lot - this has been the case since my first F-car (which was a 1963, my 1967 had the same problem, as did my 355, and 360. Guess what my F12 did as well - looks like they are consistent. :) ) I was fortunate enough to have a lot of left over upholstery glue, took about 10 minutes to fix. I do feel your pain :)

15. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ

When the service rep started telling me about quote approval - Italy - new part

I was thinking about just going to buy glue and fixing it

16. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    That will be the neck filler. Same problem as @F12_CDR5 in the link I shared. It is the part immediately under the fuel cap in which you place the petrol/gas pump nozzle and it runs down to the tank.

For the part geeks - this is the part:

17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Thanks for taking the time to post this from a fellow parts geek. I wonder what has changed with the part. Must be on the tank connection seal.

R J likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Wouldn’t the prior owner have known this issue?

20. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    The car was sold by a dealer as a CPO and got the 2 year warranty. When the dealer send me a picture "from his phone" the car was in the showroom. In my garage the smell was unbearably strong after a few hours. This tells me there is very little chance they knew about it, maybe it happened when they fill the car up, maybe during transport, maybe the car has been sitting for a while and when I drove it for the first time the issue started. Hard to tell.

The local service rep is not keen on providing estimates on completion time, almost as if Italian culture infiltrated their US workforce (JK :)) "we will try to get to it tomorrow..." OK I want my car back!!!

I have a paint correction scheduled for Tuesday, and wanted to drive the car a bit before.

21. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    just read this thread, very interesting, I live in Scottsdale as well...

looks like we have similar taste

I drove that red F12 and seriously considered it, bought a 458 Spider instead

also have a '17 TTS Cab and '14 SL550

and an '18 S560 as my DD

Hope you get that gas leak fixed and get back in the drivers seat of that beast. I can't believe how powerful the F12 is, put your foot in it and it gets scary very fast, what an amazing sound that car makes! Enjoy!

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Keep us posted on any developments. Hope this works out smoothly and quickly for you.

23. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Did you have the car PPI'd?

If not, I think it's a good example of why a car should always be inspected. CPO really doesn't mean much to me anymore. Especially once I was in the service bay to discuss with a technician about my car and saw another car being "CPO'd". Believe me from what I saw, a CPO is no substitution for a PPI in the slightest.

I've found a lot of issues through my inspections. Most were minor and not dealbreakers, but some really bad ones. One time I found a damaged carbon ceramic rotor that was hidden in pictures behind the wheel spokes. Worst was rodent damage.

Not trying to sound patronizing, all good intentioned here. Sounds like a minor part and non-issue luckily.