Low speed rattle on an F12 | FerrariChat

Low speed rattle on an F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Labrador, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labrador

Labrador Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    My F12 emits a rattle at low speeds (below 40 or so). Above that I don't hear it, but that could be a change in frequency or the loudness of the engine at that point. It sound like it is coming from the top of the passenger side door, high up, or from the far right side of the dash. Anybody had anything similar and what did it turn out to be? It's annoying but not worth taking to the dealer outside of an annual checkup.

2. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    I had similar and it's nothing really alarming but annoying. It took me a while to find out what it was. Proved to be the shaking of the pull-handle of the passenger seat (top back of the seat, rattling in its holder). Solved by inserting a bit of foam.

3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If your car is a few years old and it's cold and dry where you are it could also be due to the rubber door seals getting hard and drying out.

This happens to BMWs a lot, even when they are just a couple years old, partly because they are otherwise so noise free. The seals basically no longer press against each other as firmly as they used to and the 2 seals start moving against each other with their rubbing starting to become noticeable at around 50-70 kph (30 to 42 mph. It would actually sound like rattling, not rubbing. It happens to sunroofs too. It can happen to any rubber seal in a car.

If it is, it's easy to fix. You just need to spray the rubber seals on the doors as well as the door opening with silicone spray. BMW actually sold a fancy product called "Gummi Pflege" (rubber maintenance) - it's quite famous if you know BMWs. However, you can get the same effect with the simple silicone spray available from regular auto supply/hardware stores. Once it starts happening you have to spray the seals every year or two when it gets cold.

4. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    THIS

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This is good advice, but CAUTION to anyone using silicon products around modern Ferraris. Do not spray it, apply it to a towel/cloth away from the vehicle and apply to vehicle. Silicon and the carbon ceramic brakes do not play nice together, you can ruin your brakes with silicon or any silicon products like some tire dressings. (The silicon reduces the ability for the material to generate friction- in some cases it can be a severe reduction)

otakki likes this.
  6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yikes, that's very scary! This is news to me and thank you for pointing it out. The photo I used did not demonstrate the best technique (lots of over spray).

FWIW, I actually rest the spray nozzle right on the rubber seal and lightly apply the silicone. It just dribbles onto the seal and then I wipe the surface with a paper towel to spread it and remove the excess. Of course, the safest thing to do as you have pointed out, would be to soak a rag with the silicone, away from the car, and gently rub it along the door seals.

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're welcome. I would just hate anyone finds out the hard way- consider what a CCM rotor and pads would cost.

8. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Silicone is a bad idea on a car for rubber renewal/protection. I use 303 Aerospace UV Protectant on window and door rubber/Vinyl seals

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Wouldn't Armor-All and similar products work just as well? I've used Armor-All on rubber trims and seals of a car parked outside for nearly a decade and the rubber is just as supple as when the car was new.

10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Armor-all is silicon based. It does work. I'm not sure if its better or worse than what Christian recommends, but I wouldn't doubt his recommendation. And the warning about silicon and carbon brakes applies.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Curious why silicon could not easily be removed from rotors and pads using brake cleaner such as the excellent CRC electronic fluid. I've been using it for many years and it has never failed to remove natural and synthetic contamination on carbon pads during install. Not done the carbon rotors but don't know why it wouldn't work just as well. Likely would have to re-bed but that happens over time anyway with some spirited drives.

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    @Solid State , As it was explained to me, the silicon would "impregnate" the carbon material, thus forever reducing its ability to generate friction. That was all I needed to hear to swear off any silicon products near carbon brakes.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Acknowledged. It could be that the rotors are very porous and have a lot of places to hold the silicon. Maybe you can't get them to glow hot enough to burn it off either if a hard spray doesn't initially work. I know the pads cleanup easy but they are not nearly as complex a structure as the CCM rotors. I would swear off getting it on them as well so very good advice!

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yeah, I just don't think its worth the risk. Ask your dealer what a single CCM F12 rotor costs. It won't be cheap and they will probably say they would want to sell you the whole set... And why not some new pads to go along with it... If you are tracking the car you will go through brakes pretty quickly, but if you are simply driving on the street the pads alone will probably outlast how long you own the car.

15. WilliamB

WilliamB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    William
    Hi 'Labrador', has your 'rattle' been solved and if so how or what was it?

16. Labrador

Labrador Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    No, I never solved it, but thanks everyone for the guesses and the education on silicone. I gave up and will simply have the dealer take a look at it at the car's next annual service. Not annoying enough to merit a special appointment.

17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Hi Labrador,

Did you identify/ fix the rattle. I have something similar in my 812 - delivery took place last month. A rattle comes from the ride side / can’t quite place where. Top right dash or the door.

18. sl55

sl55 Karting

Dec 26, 2009
    Scottsdale AZ
    Warning This may sounds stupid but I just received my F12 and put my garage door opener on the driver side sun visor, and realized that is caused a very annoying rattle that seemed to be coming form the top dash area. Removed the opener and the rattle is gone.

just thought I would share, you never know!

19. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The recommended lubricant for all Ferrari rubber door/convertible top seals is Dupont GLP205 Krytox grease. It comes in a tube, you squeaze it onto a rag and rub it into the rubber seal. It is the best seal lubricant that I have ever used.

Thecadster likes this.
  20. DaveMc

DaveMc Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Your car didn't come with the HomeLink option? Those are the buttons on the rear view mirror, on the bottom, left side. No need for a garage door opener on the visor.