355 Opinions | FerrariChat

355 Opinions

Discussion in '348/355' started by Wsmatau, Jun 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
  2. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Definitely needs some work. Interior sticky pieces, trim on lift off roof, right side engine bay piece missing and a paint correction are the quick glance items I’m seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

f355spider likes this.
  3. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    Also no mention of maintenance history. Could be looking at a huge bill to make it mechanically sound.

4. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Right. I don't mind throwing $30k at a car if it is bought at a bargain ($50-60k). But their website has it available for $100k. and given the items you mentioned above it is well below the condition of a car that would be priced at current market value ($75-85k).

I'm a Rookie here. Just tell me if I am missing something.

5. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    I think your estimates are a bit high without knowing the history. Has it been wrecked, any paint work, etc. definitely have a pre-purchase inspection done and get a compression check and leakdown down.

I bought a 95 355 berlinetta a year ago knowing it needed a major. Mine had 14,000 miles on it with near perfect paint and interior. I just did the major, plus a full new exhaust system and new radiators and fans. These cars are old and the while we’re in there list can be big.
    I think to fix the sticky interior parts is $2k+ and a quality paint correction is about the same.

My advice is buy the best car you can afford, that has maintenance history with receipts. If you look for a project, it may be over consuming on the budget.

f355spider and Wsmatau like this.
  6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    The ad says Rosso Corsa. The deck lid says Rosso Barchetta

??

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Slightly off-topic... Should all cars have dome nuts on the cover between the intake manifolds/ "V"? I just have regular nylocs.

That HVAC panel looks terminal. Definitely needs a new faceplate.

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think so

10. fboutlaw

fboutlaw Karting

Dec 3, 2014
    Woodside, CA
    Slightly off topic, but unless someone can give a history, I'd avoid it.

I bought mine from a dealer with service history, but no recent major, and thought... even if was a dud, how bad could it be?

Major for belts = 10k
    Upgrading to a Tubi exhaust = 10k (high estimate I know)
    If it needs a valve job & head rebuild = 10k
    Clutch = 5k
    Tires, brakes, interior bits = 3-5k
    Shock rebuild = 3k
    Engine mounts = 1k
    Now you're at square 1 on a 24 year old car for up to 44k.

Lets say you want the car to be reliable.
    Replacing a bunch of hoses during rebuild that are usually ignored = 3k
    Replacing broken sensors (there may be 1 or 2) = 1k
    Re-terminating the engine bay with the SRI kit = 10k (took me 60 hours in labor)
    Now we're up to 58k range for a sturdy platform.

This is all very worst case, but that's why you buy cars with service records and a recent major service by some place that's reputable (or done with tons of photos). If you're handy with a wrench then it really doesn't matter as anything mechanical can be rebuilt, but know what you might be in for.

Wsmatau likes this.
  11. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    The ad states Rosso Corsa exterior, it is Rosso Barchetta.

12. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Solid advice that I've heard before and based on fboutlaw's comments probably the best route for me to choose. Thanks for the input gents!

13. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not saying it's inexpensive to sort a neglected car but I'd roll mine to the curb on garbage day before paying the above prices. :)

phrogs likes this.
  14. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Let me know the day that happens :)

I was "ballparking" $30k to bring a decent barn find up to speed and think that is fairly accurate (although I do recognize no two cars are alike). Between your high estimate of $58k and Chris's "cosmetic fixes only" of $4k, I think it is realistic. I want a driver, so sending it to Braden for a full restoration/repaint is off the table. I know the debate has been had on the forum before, but I think I'd rather buy a car that needs a major and get to dictate exactly what gets serviced rather than relying on a sellers mechanic.

15. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My 1999 F1 is the absolute best daily driver. Just did 165 miles for an overnight trip. Ice cold AC and roll at triple digits when safe to do so. It is so sorted, reliable and no reason not use it. Could careless about road rash or rain. Washes up fine and my wife fell asleep in the passenger seat like any other vehicle she rides in.

I have a garage queen 355, but this one is made to abuse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve355F1 likes this.
  16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    It's been said before but with these cars, just need to assess on an individual basis. 90

In regards to your last comment, what if you stumbled across a car that was just serviced by the same shop you would have brought it too anyway?

I would prefer to do/dictate my own service if it was an independent dealers own techs just throwing belts on and doing the absolute minimum to call it "just serviced". Would see it as a value if it was just serviced by a shop with an excellent reputation.

From what I've seen you would be better off putting that 30k towards the initial purchase than buy a lesser car to fix up.

WATSON and eyeman1234 like this.
  17. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    +1
    If you're not lucky enough to find one that recently had a dealer major, or one by a well-known indy shop (prob. 30% less,) your PPI should guide you well...
    IMO spending more up front is usually less risk and easier, (and sometimes cheaper in the long run.)

Clay512TR and carnutdallas like this.
  18. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So you have the engine out. How the hell do you spend $3K on hoses?

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Not sure, but if they are 3k I would pass on that. Lots of overlapping labor there. Each item is probably worse case scenario if you did it all individually rather than together.

Even then. 10k for gold plated terminals? Could probably pull every harness out of the car and have it duplicated new for less than that.

20. chrisj951

chrisj951 Karting

Feb 18, 2015
    Metro Atlanta
    The gold kit is $1900 if memory serves. I looked into it and the kit plus labor was $4200. I passed on doing it.

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It is not a difficult "do it yourself". I am not super mechanically inclined and did it on mine. Took my time, probably over 4 evenings after work, and most of a Saturday. Just did it slow and careful, took notes and pictures as I took apart each connector. Then followed the SRI instructions for removing and installing the new pins, replace the boots and reassemble.

22. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    If you're looking for a project car in the $50k range, take a look at my 98 F1 in the classifieds section. You would just need to send the F1 system out to GTE engineering for a rebuild and I would have no concern driving the car across country. Everything else is solid.