Repairing the Rear light wiring loom | FerrariChat

Repairing the Rear light wiring loom

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Jun 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Today I did a repair I've been putting off for a while. The rear light wiring was so tatty is was embarrassing. I was also concerned it could failed and leave me with no lights. Since I've also done a full rear LED Scuding conversion the it looked even worse against the newer wiring. Furthermore the water protection boots needed replacing too on the wires to prevent ingress of water.

Let's show pics first and then I'll supply links later for sources of parts to repair. This is a tiny fraction of cost of new looms.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LP360 and RANDY6005 like this.
  2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Keywords for buying parts on places like aliexpress or ebay

Amp superseal
    Amp superseal rubber

Inexpensive to buy and replacing cracked seals will improve reliability greatly. You can either buy the pin extraction tool or use a pin as shown..

imahorse and f355spider like this.
  3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Just to give you some idea... This tiny original loom to buy is over $500 new. A bit silly considering how simple it is.

Parts just a few dollars and some patience.

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Great job!

I'm an electrical engineer and I think you did an awesome job!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

360trev, ShadowLAP and John_K_348 like this.
  5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Thanks Dan. Really pleased with results and it worked first time. Did continuity checks with multimeter first ofcourse.

whatheheck and ShadowLAP like this.
  6. LP360

LP360 Karting

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Looks awesome! I also have the Scuding conversion and makes my original rubber boots look **** with them being split,so I wrapped them in electrical tape to seal them for now and look a million miles better, but when they do get in a bad state I will be looking back on this thread! Reasons why I love this forum!

John_K_348 and 360trev like this.
  7. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Trev looks like new, I was going to look up the price for a new tail light harnesses from Eurospares for the people that do not have your skill set, I bought mine new in the box from Eurospares for 21.00 for each one US. Now the lowest price is around 500.00 US. Wend I was doing my CS build I was looking for a CS F1 harness from Eurospares the prices was all over the place any where from 4900.00 as low as 577.00. I bought the one for 577.00 had it the next day inspecting the worst it was new in the factory box. Friends of mine said they must have screwed up on the price. And still look at there prices now on the F1 harness 4820.00 to 685.00 I ask Neil at Eurospares why such a big prices differences his reply was who knows where those Italians get there prices from maybe they are trowing darts he said so from then I look for the lowest price and it paid off I bet you I save over thousands !! Just thought I would share this so maybe can save other people money ttps://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/360-challenge-stradale/electrical-ignition/electrical-system-40627
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  9. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Yes, Ferrari prices can be all over the shop...

Typically this happens when they are holding stock from a while ago. The way I think their model works is that initial parts prices when the car is close to being new are actually not so bad. As stock is exhausted and they have to go back to manufacturers to order more, they have a minimum quantity to they need to order and ofcourse that order is much lower than the large quantities required during manufacture of the vehicles themselves, so at this point the supplier is charging more (and also due to inflation since the last batch sold which could be measured in years) and ofcourse quantity is much lower so volume discounts are less, plus they use some sort of multiplier to increase prices as the cars get older. Yes parts prices are weighted to go up (!) as the cars get older. For common failure parts the prices could stay relatively constant (inflation adjusted) due to the volumes requested and satisfying their profit margins but for parts that are in stock and not sold often the prices can be much cheaper!

If my rear light harness would have been just $21 dollars I simply would have just bought them new, at $500 a pop it made little sense to me to pay it especially considering how simple they are. I was even considering calculating the AWG of the wire required (as now I'm using LED the power consumption is a fraction of the original demand). Thus allowing much lighter spec wiring to be fitted and replacing the looms for all the indicators with thinner wires but in the end the weight saving would have been minimal for the time and effort invested. :)

RANDY6005 likes this.
  10. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Trev, this is awesome, thanks! I've been meaning to replace mine for some time now as the rubbers are perished, but as you say, the prices of new parts are crazy!

360trev likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Does anyone offer replacement boots made from silicone?

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    f355spider likes this.
  13. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'd much rather try a silicone material that (may) last longer than the oem Amp boots. Is "silica gel" silicone?

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've done similar repairs on other cars (like a 911). I used shrink wrap tubing. Much more satisfying to work with. Waterproof (with some silicone grease) and looks great.

360trev likes this.