612 Power Window Issue | FerrariChat

612 Power Window Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dan575M, Jun 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Hi all! Working on a ‘05 612 Scag. Getting a “clicking” sound from both doors along with windows that either won’t work or intermittently won’t drop or raise when the doors are opened. Did a hard reset using the battery cutoff switch. Seems to help but the problem comes back within hours or minutes. The “clicking” noise comes and goes but for the most part, more constant than not. I used my diagnostic scan tool (Autel 906bt) to access the power window control and can remotely operate both windows without any issues. So, I’m thinking the window module is screwy. Scanner shows door micro switches working properly and the car never gets wet. So my question is: where is the window ecm? Not seeing it on any parts diagrams. Does the body control module handle the windows on this car? If so, where the heck is it located? Thanks in advance!

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dan575M likes this.
  3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Long shot but... check battery status and charge. Had exact same behavior on a 456 (granted, different system setup with windows ECU in doors, etc.) and it turned out that the battery was on its way out. Low charge = erratic window/microswitch operation.

Dan575M likes this.
  4. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill

5. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Thanks for the input!

6. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill

7. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Don't thank me yet ... I'm a little confused.. Looking closer at that parts diagram, part #1 (body control panel) seems to be that entire panel behind the fuse panel. In individual advertisements for that control unit, it looks smaller.

I don't know how easy it is to remove the fuse panel. I see some bolts, but not sure what else has to be removed.

Dan575M likes this.
  8. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    I’ve checked both battery & charge. Both seem good. “Clicking” happens even while driving. So, with voltage around 14.

9. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Yeah, I noticed that too. I’ll just have to pull the access cover and have a look, see what may or not be sandwiched under the fuse stack. Seems to be an odd place for a control module but then again, 612.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Dan575M likes this.
  11. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Ask and you shall receive! Thanks! Was the BCM info found in the WSM?
    Can’t wait to discover all the crispy,brittle, plastic up under the dash of this 43k mile Scag. Fun Fun!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Haven't located a WSM yet. I was just showing you what the body control unit looks like. I tracked down a picture of the unit using the Ricambi America site. Your car probably has the original part number 205338, but, as the Ricambi page mentions, it has been superseded by part number 209887 (also found on Maseratis)

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/gt-group-2-2/612-scaglietti/passengers-compartment-control-stations.html

Before buying a new one, I'd be checking the plugs on the unit for security and the pins for cleanliness, maybe resetting the plugs (with power off the car). I wouldn't try resetting them with power on, otherwise you might set fault messages in the computers. Also, computers don't always like sparks :p

Dan575M likes this.
  13. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Qavion likes this.
  14. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    That’s what I’m trying to figure out. If I can control the windows remotely with a scan tool, then perhaps it’s the master control (drivers window switch station) that is failing.

15. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Oh yea, I always battery disco when unplugging ecm’s. I also use a ground strap on my wrist, just in case. Although, that’s a bit overkill since control modules are usually well “caged” and rogue sparks from static will probably never make it to a sensitive processor.
    Great info Qavion! Thanks for sharing!

Qavion likes this.
  16. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Some more digging today revealed part numbers for both door modules (240061 left door & 240066 right door)you were correct Motob! Body control module does a lot but nothing with regards to the doors. My scan tool actually gave me the part numbers under “module info”. Pretty cool to have that access to that info! Thanks everyone for the help!

Qavion likes this.
  17. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    That scan tool sounds very handy! Could you share what it is, hopefully something less expensive than the Leonardo suite.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dan575M likes this.
  18. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Autel 906BT. Best scan tool I’ve ever owned in 30 years,in the automotive business.
    Scans pretty much every computer system on every make/model with an OBD2 connector. The only manufacturers it doesn’t seems to cover is Koenigsegg and Tesla. On F-cars, it covers all models including Enzo & FF. Handles most component tests and functions, clutch delta & wear percentage. Doesn’t allow you to set PIS on clutches but does allow other transmission adjustments & tests.
    Pretty amazing tool and I could ramble on endlessly about it.
    Cost around $1400. Runs on a droid based tablet. Also, it’s blue-tooth, no cord. I can enjoy coffee at my desk while running diagnostics .
    There is a yearly subscription @ $950. This keeps the tool completely up-to-date, including new car models.

Maybe I’ll post a demo....

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Those door modules sound very sophisticated if you can interrogate them with a scan tool. Clearly I'm not up to speed on these new gen cars :p

I'm not a big fan of unnecessarily overcomplicating things. I left the aviation industry when they brought out the Airbus A380. You need a supercomputer just to flush the toilets on those things.

Good luck with the new door module, Dan ;)

Dan575M likes this.
  20. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    I’ve heard the aviation industry isn’t what it used to be. No pilot experience needed,planes that practically fly themselves ect. Heck, I’m supposed to learn vehicle self-driving calibration?! Time to retire!
    Thanks for your help, Qavion!

Qavion likes this.
  21. gburkett

gburkett Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Glenn Burkett
    Hi Dan, and Thanks for posting the Autel model number! , if you decide to post a demo on that Autel scan tool, please put some notification in this discussion so we can find it among all the other posts. Maybe while you have your morning coffee....

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Dan575M likes this.
  22. Dan575M

Dan575M Rookie

May 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Luke Halfhill
    Will do!