360 - Hagerty: "8 cars to snap up before values climb" | FerrariChat

360 Hagerty: "8 cars to snap up before values climb"

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Makiki, Jun 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    A recent article in Hagerty.com -- "8 cars to snap up before values climb" -- mentions the 360:

"We don’t have a crystal ball, of course, but we do have a trove of data that helps paint a picture of which cars are best positioned to grow in value in the future. Using insurance quote data, the frequency certain vehicles are being added to policies, auction activity, private sales data, and more, we’ve assembled this collection of eight vehicles to buy before the ramp-up kicks off.

. . . .

Ferraris in general didn't make much of a showing as of our latest pricing update in May, but 360s were flat, and they have some upside given what happened to 355s before them. No big growth to point to yet, but values bottomed out in 2014–15, and they're a lot easier to live with than a 355, considerably quicker (both more powerful and 130 pounds lighter), and one of the last Ferraris commonly fitted with a manual (+$50,000 premium in HPG). The Ferrari 360 is a better car with better upside than the 355 in most real, measurable ways."

See: https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/06/27/cars-to-snap-up-before-values-climb-summer-2019

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    I should probably add that I don't agree with their prediction. In my opinion, 360 values have been flat for years and are likely to stay flat for years to come. Which, of course, is a much better than a depreciating asset! But the usual advice here -- "buy what you love and enjoy it" -- remains the best advice I think.

Graz, billy.gif, Dicecal and 3 others like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They've been toting that $50k premium for gated manual for years, I remember reading that when I was 360 shopping. For an outfit that specializes in car valuations, they are way off on that one. Any time you can buy a car that doesn't depreciate, you are doing pretty good. Appreciation is icing on the cake, but don't buy based on that.

...and I'll eat my hat if that era of Boxster is worth anything....I see those getting junked out with the 944's or 924's, especially with the IMS issues they have. Disposable Porsche.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I agree...look how long it took for 308s to finally take a modest uptick in prices, 35 years? But also agree, nothing wrong with valuations remaining flat, buy what you like, drive it and enjoy.

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  5. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    I had a similar post about my recent experience selling my 308 QV and buying a 360 F1. Hagerty was WAY off on my (real $) interactions with buyers and sellers.

I think (in general) Ferraris are not “calculable” like Porsches or Corvettes or whatever because the maintenance costs can be such a big gamble. I think well documented Ferraris and non-well documented Ferraris should be considered as different as two separate makes. A well documented 360 (or any other F car) gets more of a premium than a stick shift, or spider, or whatever.

I know of no tracking service that takes into account documentation/service history when publishing “average” market conditions. It simply doesn’t cost that much to tale a gamble on a Porsche or Corvette or Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Agreed, and in the Ferrari world, original, unmolested examples also garner a premium over modified cars.

Bob in Makiki and JazzyJay like this.
  7. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I've done 0-120-0 on a runway a bunch of times with the G8 and they are worthless mush buckets.

I do think the 986 Boxsters are underrated though, you do really have to stomp and drop the clutch to get it to slide but once you get the hang of it they're crazy fun to drive. It's the only car I've ever regretted selling, even though the engine blew up twice.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Since most cars depreciate, I’m certainly ok with values remaining flat. Well-sorted sticks seem to sell for more, but I don’t know about $50k premium being realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    A few years ago after 4 yeas of ownership I sold my 360 Spider Gated for exactly what I paid for it. For me that was a home run. Of course I went out and bought another one :)

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not sure I see the 360 appreciating for some time. Original 1997 Stuttgart Boxsters.. might like to have one if cheep enough.

Dewinator likes this.
  11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    get a 93 mustang cobra - sub 10k mile ones were $8k - now 30k mile ones are $28k

one4torque likes this.
  12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Best appreciating recent car is the 2005-6 Ford GT.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    A 360 F1 spider with under 8k miles went for $98k at a recent BJ auction.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    I dont think Hagerty values are based on a lot of research, time, or analysis.

Currently I'd say best/easiest value indicator is Bring a Trailer as you can look up old auctions too. EBay seems to try to hide results after auction done you cant always tell what high bid was or sold value.

I think you can query at Mecum and some other auction houses past results.

Factor in premiums and you have reality - not asking prices, forum know-nothings speculating, etc.

15. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Other comment: I agree with the buy what you love and drive it - I wish there were less people with huge $$$ collecting cars and that Ferrari owners would drive approscitate cars for what they are - but thats the reality we live in.

I will admit its nice to buy a car well, drive it, and not lose money or make money - to me its secondary but it it what it is in terms of the way the world works.

16. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Last comments: I have a 360 6 speed Spider and a 328GTS - love both cars, plan on keeping - I would hope to maybe get a 458 sometime.

In terms of 360s / values - the 6 speed is apparently worth more but not $50K at this point.

If you think about 360s though vs. other "modern / semi affordable" 8 cylinder Ferraris:
    1) 5 valves per cylinder - only other one is 355, 430 does not have
    2) 6 speeds readily available - if you want a 6 speed 430 its crazy now $$ wise
    3) Aluminum, body and suspension - 355 not
    4) Longitudinal trans - preferable in my view - 355 is transverse
    5) Pretty good view of engine in Spider - 430 is better, no view in 458 (incl 458 here but its not quite "affordable" at least to me at least not yet)
    6) Easy access to belts - no Engine out like 355
    7) Fast and great looking - not that 355 GTS is not great looking / fast (my fave 355); 430s are faster: 458s are superfast beauties; 348 - don't like the strakes

My conclusion: a 360 6 speed Spider or Coupe if thats your preference are really quite a "bargain" and while they may go lower, I beleive instead they will hold valu and perhaps appreciate decently at some point - I'd buy one again - glad I got mine a few years back....