My wife wants a Range Rover | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My wife wants a Range Rover

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Jun 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I got into a little tiff with a dealer when I asked for info on the 2020 models, as I specified in the link above, and if you click on it 2020 is clearly shown at the top. The dealer in Mission Viejo stated that the 2019.5 was the same as the 2020, when I went back to the landrover website, the 2020 RRS had been removed, but the 2020 RR was still there.

We went out today and looked at the Range Rovers, Cadillac, Acura, and again at the Mercedes, did not look at the Porsche. Nothing really inspiring. Also went to see Hyundai (which we buy allot of for work vehicles and a block away from the Acura dealer). I have to say the Santa Fe is priced less than half of the vehicles we looked at, and IMHO were comparable to the Cad, Acura, and smaller Mercedes.

Each of the dealers indicated that the trend is for minimalist cabin design.

Going to wait until the 2020 Range Rover Sport models have arrived, thanks again to everyone that responded.

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    We had a full size RR and it was very reliable. We bought a Velar last year and it was “lemoned” at 12 mos. They gave us a new one 2019 and it’s been perfect. Really nice car!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Innovativethinker likes this.
  3. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    DGPF likes this.
  4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  5. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Throwing a curveball out there: Consider a fully upgraded Jeep Rubicon with automatic top. Under 55k.

6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I just got a Q8 last week, it is a damn cool car man. The interior is one of the nicest I've ever seen in a car, screens everywhere, the bang and olufsen sound system is amazing too. The wireless phone charger is cool too and I love love love the navigation where you can write with your finger! I don't even like SUV's but the Q8 is a cool machine.

DGPF, Boomhauer and Innovativethinker like this.
  7. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    I've had several, the incontrol system is honestly not very good. I would make sure to get a 2019+ with carplay, I had a 2018 Full Size and the incontrol was constantly cutting out, bluetooth issues, etc. With carplay its great but that was only an option in 19. To be frank, I never had any issues with my prior cars but the 18 and 19 have each had more issues than any prior RR I've ever owned.

8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Yup wife loved her G63...took it off roading and it is very capable! She loved it so much we upgraded to a G4x4 - off-roaded in that as well, what a beast!

Me, on the other hand, I daily drive a RR SVR and have had it for over 4 years, and I usually rotate out daily’s every 6 months. Love this car, exhaust roars and grumbles, plenty of power. Only issue recently is changing the battery after 22k miles.
    We have had a previous HSE and 2 LR4’s with no issues.
    View attachment 2794629
    View attachment 2794630

Sent from my 16M

9. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Not a fan of the looks of the Q8, personal preference.

10. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Normal one is meh, the year one package ones look incredible with the 22" rims, they're not much more $86k or so total but they just had none when we got ours except the demo and I wasn't looking to order. The tech inside the car is what sold me. It's got 3 huge screens, google maps is cool too, the writing for the navigation is pretty cool and simplifies it all(you write on the lower screen with your finger vs using the dial in most other cars), the wireless phone charger has been great too bc it charges really fast.

For me I looked at the range rover and tech wise, the q8, I assume bc its a newer platform was just way ahead of it, im sure the new range rover whenever it comes out will be incredible too bc the velar has lots of the same stuff I admired about the q8. In the end i was reading reviews on the urus and one said the q8 was 70% of the car for 1/4 the price and that was enough for me. Urus lease was like $20k down and $3k/mo the Q8 I got was $1,995 down and $960/mo which meant

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Biz partner is on is 4th RR product in a row.

Full fat diesel V8 is the way forward.

DGPF and Innovativethinker like this.
  12. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    We bought a 2019 RR Velar, we test drove the Evoque, Velar and RR Sport. The sport was too big for her and the Evoque was too small. Cost was $60k nicely optioned.

Interestingly, the dealer had a number of very low miles service vehicles, CPO, which gave us 5 years and 100k miles. We bought one of those that was 3 months old and 4,000 miles. Few thousand off list, so we were basically getting some off and a factory extended warranty.

I liked the RR Sport allot, and may get one for my DD.

13. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  14. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    So now to my vehicle, it is between the full size and the sport. I have a 911 for fun so performance isn't an issue with this vehicle. The sport drives fine, although it does have some body roll while cornering (dealer informed me this issue can be resolved with a suspension upgrade). I have not yet driven the full size, but I sat in one and it is certainly nice, and priced around what I paid for my last S-Class ($127k).

Anyone drive both the sport and the fullsize? Which do you like to drive more?

15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I bought a RR Sport HGE for my daughter in 2016. I bought it at the end of the year just before the 17’s came out for a 6k savings. She loves the car and now has 40k miles with zero problems .

Innovativethinker and wax like this.
  16. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    If you are concerned with Sport's body roll, you will not be happy with Full size RR.
    It's a boat and rolls a lot vs the Sport, makes it feel like a real sports car.

17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

So true , I had the full size RR for 6 months and hated it. I’ve driven my daughter's RR Sport and loved it.

18. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Ran into a problem. My wife is only 5’1”, with no adjustable pedals she has to use a pillow.

Oops

Catondrugs likes this.
  19. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Just bought myself a 2020 Range Rover Sport, didn't go crazy with options, sticker was something like $86k. Amazing you can option an RR up to $160k. Haven't picked it up, I am having the roof painted black to match the trim package.

I needed a DD that was comfortable, respectable, yet not too flashy (for both staff and clients).

plastique999 likes this.
  20. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Ive been a RRS customer and been very happy with the ride. For me the best year of the RRS was in 2008 when they have the hydraulic anti sway bar and they are also has bigger interior.

I turned over my last Sport as it is getting smaller and smaller each year and now in a RR fullsize(SWB). Love it.

21. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    my wife just picked up a sport dynamic - so far so good - drove it about 40 miles the other day i was pleasantly surprised with how nice it drove. She just turned in a 16 full size supercharged - had some electrical glitches that we just learned to live with rather than keep taking it back to the dealer for another software flash that would not fix the issues.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Any issues with the 2018 RRS? Diesel or supercharged comments? Looks like no CarPlay. Are standard electronics and other systems reliable?

23. silver1331

Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    I’ve had several full size and sports. My 2019 FS supercharged will be my last, both my 2018 and 19 have each had more issues than all previous cars combined. I have also found Land Rover North America to be completely unhelpful in addressing issues generally.

NbyNW likes this.
  24. silver1331

Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    The standard infotainment i found to be very problematic, I would personally not get a 2018 and would only get the 2019 with Carplay. It's a huge difference.

25. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I love my 2017 RR Diesel. The infotainment is better in a big way than my 2016 Sport. I love the Navigation infront of me, and at nights, I can close the middle monitor and is so dark.

I ordered a 2020 RR but I am honestly not too excited about the dual monitor, including the climate control. Just because I want a knob to control it, not a screen.

So if you want a good deal, get a low miles 17 with CPO, you dont have to worry about the old and new.

NbyNW likes this.